Join Us Now

M2P Dualband booster

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I try to search here in the forum about this question and also in the existing threads i ask the question without answer.
Have anybody successfully used a dual band 2.4/5.8 boosters with a dual band antenna?

I have the Raptor XR on my M2P and i want to boost both frequencies with this Sunhans 2W DUAL BAND 2.4/5.8GHz eSunRC WiFi Booster | rexuav-updated
I have no feedback from anybody doing this successfully. Base in the information of the booster, should work. Checking the manual, the booster should be able to identify the source of the signal if is 2.4/5.8 and switch the boost automatically.

There is another one that i am interested if this work that is 4W boosting Sunhans 4W DUAL BAND 2.4/5.8GHz eSunRC WiFi Booster | rexuav-updated

Is any issue if i boost with 4W? can i fry the antenna?

The common issue of all these boosters is that they only boosts the uplink but the downlink ( video feed ) is the first to break in most cases.

The common issue of all these boosters is that they only boosts the uplink but the downlink ( video feed ) is the first to break in most cases.
It boosts the incoming signal too. The antenna receives the signal and that signal is boosted before going into the remote.

I try to search here in the forum about this question and also in the existing threads i ask the question without answer.
Have anybody successfully used a dual band 2.4/5.8 boosters with a dual band antenna?

I have the Raptor XR on my M2P and i want to boost both frequencies with this Sunhans 2W DUAL BAND 2.4/5.8GHz eSunRC WiFi Booster | rexuav-updated
I have no feedback from anybody doing this successfully. Base in the information of the booster, should work. Checking the manual, the booster should be able to identify the source of the signal if is 2.4/5.8 and switch the boost automatically.

There is another one that i am interested if this work that is 4W boosting Sunhans 4W DUAL BAND 2.4/5.8GHz eSunRC WiFi Booster | rexuav-updated

Is any issue if i boost with 4W? can i fry the antenna?
The complaint from people that have tried the dual band ones is that it isn’t as good as the single band ones.

I haven’t tried it personally but I think the issues lies in that when you boost the signal you also boost the noise and whatever decides to switch signals is measuring onlythe noise and not the signal to noise ratio. I helped a guy that put in 5.8 boosters but left on auto it would always switch to 2.4 no matter what so I advised him to manual lock in 5.8 and that solved the issue.

That 4w amp is funky in that it takes iPEX connections instead of SMA cables so it’s gonna be weird to mount. It also looks pretty big and you’d need 2 so I don’t know if it’s worth it.

Reactions: bowhunter310
I like the simplicity of the 2W setup. The 4W yes will be bulkier but has more flexibility because I can change the IPEX cable to whatever I want.
Currently, I have installed in my Mavic 2 SMA but I have to come for my Mavic Mini an Allientech 5.8 booster and they use QMA in the controller. I need a converter.

Is anybody with this setup give some feedback?

if the signal from the drone drops out then there is no signal to boost
“Drop out” is when the incoming signal is too weak to be picked up by the remote. A booster amplifies a weak signal into a stronger signal so that it can be picked up.

This spec is called receiver gain and it’s in the specs of the booster. In this case the 2w booster increases receiver gain by 12dbm.
FB6A9AA0-F23C-4212-B5AD-FC3013D4BE4F.jpeg

The 2W and the 4W have the same Receiver Gain: 12dBm.

...A booster amplifies a weak signal into a stronger signal so that it can be picked up.

It's not the strength of the signal that matters, it's the signal-to-noise-ratio .

The downlink signal is already immersed in noise after travelling a long distance, the booster at the controller boosts the received signal as well as the noise. As the result, the signal-to-noise ratio will still be poor so things will not be any better.

This is basic radio engineering knowledge. You have to boost the signal when it still has got sufficient signal-to-noise ratio. But if the S/N ratio is good enough on the receiving side, there is no need to boost !

Using high-gain antenna is the only solution unless you can install a booster on the drone side.

Last edited:
It's not the strength of the signal that matters, it's the signal-to-noise-ratio .

The downlink signal is already immersed in noise after travelling a long distance, the booster at the controller boosts the received signal as well as the noise. As the result, the signal-to-noise ratio will still be poor so things will not be any better.

This is basic radio engineering knowledge. You have to boost the signal when it still has got sufficient signal-to-noise ratio. But if the S/N ratio is good enough on the receiving side, there is no need to boost !

Using high-gain antenna is the only solution unless you can install a booster on the drone side.
It does boost the noise along with the signal but DJI does a really good job of using software to filter out the noise. I feel like I have this conversation repeatedly and it’s clear to me that anybody who says it doesn’t work has never tried it. When you get double the range when you have the boosters installed vs not installed should tell you everything you need to know

It may be true that boosting from the aircraft would be better but since that isn’t practical we have to do it this way instead and it does work just try it and you’ll see.

It does boost the noise along with the signal but DJI does a really good job of using software to filter out the noise.

Can you explain the principle of "using software to filter out the noise" ? I have been a radio engineer for 30 years so I should be able to understand it if it makes sense.

who says it doesn’t work has never tried it.

As a radio engineer I have been using industrial-grade boosters and antennas of in cellular networks so I think I have "used them" enough to form my own opinion. It's not any rocket science actually.

Some how somebody need to explain the amount of YouTube videos of boosters working ridiculous distances.

i absolutely respect your statement as professional, but there is something else happening, if not Allientech and this others companies will be out of business.

Reactions: brett8883
Can you explain the principle of "using software to filter out the noise" ? I have been a radio engineer for 30 years so I should be able to understand it if it makes sense.
Sure! On a really basic level the packets sent will have encoded metadata which allows the receiver to pick out out the right signals and error correct itself.

Occusync in particular is even more advanced and has even better error correction built in. To use a really basic analogy, say you receive tons of mail in your mailbox but you are only interested in mail sent from one particular sender. Well you can ignore any mail sent to you that doesn’t have the return address of the sender you want to hear from. Here’s a further basic explanation of how packets and protocols work

This is why occusync works better than Lightbridge or advanced Wi-Fi even though it uses the same equipment.

As a radio engineer I have been using industrial-grade boosters and antennas of in cellular networks so I think I have "used them" enough to form my own opinion.
As I suspected... You haven’t used them in this application... You are relying on your experience in a different application with different protocols, different frequencies, and different goals to make flawed judgements.

GPS receivers are able to 'distill' data from a signal where the signal to noise ratio is (much) smaller than 1 (more noise than signal). As far as I know statistical processing is used to achieve this.

Reactions: brett8883
GPS receivers are able to 'distill' data from a signal where the signal to noise ratio is (much) smaller than 1 (more noise than signal). As far as I know statistical processing is used to achieve this.

GPS uses spread-spectrum and the downlink ( video feed ) part of Ocusync uses OFDM. They are fundamentally different :

GSP : Spread Spectrum and Code Modulation of L1 GPS Carrier | GEOG 862: GPS and GNSS for Geospatial Professionals
Ocusync(2.0) : DJI OcuSync 2.0: What is This FPV Transmission System?

For digital radio transmission, there are always some forms of "distillation of data" in the processing chain of the receiver. Such "distillation" is always going on and the use of boosters does NOT make the distillation easier or more effective. The OP has got the wrong understanding that no matter how much noise is added in the amplification process, they can always be magically filtered away leaving a clean, strong signal behind. That's just not how digital radio receivers work.

Whether the data can be extracted depends on the signal-to-noise ( S/N ) ratio in the received radio energy. If the S/N is bad to begin with, it wont help even if the radio energy is boosted to the point that an egg can be cooked in front of the antenna. This is very basic radio engineering knowledge that I don't know how to explain in more layman terms.

The use of booster on the receiving side does NOT increase the S/N so it's useless. It's just as simple as that. In fact, the booster worsen the S/N because the active components of the amplifier always adds noise to the signal. The amount of noise added depends on the noise figure of the amplifier. If the spec of the booster is a meaningful one, it should state the noise figure instead of the gain of the receive amplifier.

That said, the booster may bring some small gain in two ways :

1) If the amplifier of the booster has got a better noise figure than that of the front end amplifier of the controller. Unless the booster uses high-quality ( read : expensive ) components, I doubt if the difference is significant
2) Eliminating the S/N degradation due to the small loss incurred in the short internal cable between the antenna and the receiver. The resulting gain will be something like 1~ 2 dB

There are potential loss as well. Depending on the linearity of the power amplifier for uplink transmission, intermodulation products can be produced to interfer the downlink video feed signal. There has been such reports from some local users.

That's why I won't waste money on these boosters.

Last edited:
GPS uses spread-spectrum and the downlink ( video feed ) part of OcuSync uses OFDM. They are fundamentally different : ...

I don't disagree with you. I only wanted to point out that with certain techniques it is possible to 'distill' the information from a signal where the noise is higher than the signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121