DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Final Word On Range Extenders?

Appreciate this, and I've ordered the Yagi-Udi antennae.

Could you direct me to proper information on the 'FCC BOOST' option. Would just like to get instructions from a good source on this since it involves downloading third party software and so on. Is there a go-to spot for this that's respected in the community?
If you're in the U.S., the drone is already operating at the maximum signal power level.

Reactions: Meta4
The Mavic 2 EIRP (transmission power) is 26dbm on both 2.4 and 5.8ghz.

FCC BOOST takes it up to 30dbm which according to the FCC is the maximum legal signal strength.
Is the power level set lower than the maximum for all DJI models sold and operated in the U.S.? That's not what I've understood to be the case,

Last edited:
It's hard to see how flying from inside a car would make any difference from flying out of the car.

Being in or out of the car should make no difference to how far you can see.
Of course it does! Your view is blocked by the roof of your car.

Maybe you don't realise it, but drone flying isn't necessarily straight up and down.
You can fly the drone out from where you launch too.

Reactions: MA2 317
The website drone-hacks.com has all necessary information, including a 'bird map' to determine what hacks work with what drone and firmware version. Been using their GUI for about 3 years for my Mavic 2's and it is a tweaked version of the official (original) DJI ASSISTANT with the developer console unlocked.

I bought a license: I installed the software: it has behaved itself impeccably for the last 3 years: I trust it.

Be aware... How well D-H works is determined by what drone you have.

Drone-hacks only works properly with DJI drones that have a fully functional SDK released for them. Support for drones since the Mavic 2 line is patchy, but the bird map will give you all the info you need.

The problem listed by Kentdavidge probably results from trying to use the D-H companion app installed onto his mobile device to unlock FCC mode on a flight-by-flight basis (correct me if I'm wrong), the FCC BOOST is activated through the D-H GUI loaded into your PC.

Addendum
I use FCC BOOST NOT for BVLOS flights, but to ensure a powerful and clear control signal in environments where a lot of background WiFi noise makes flying erratic or unpredictable.
This is excellent, thank you. Their UI for accessing this stuff is super convenient. Just need to figure out what firmware version I'm running.

The Mavic 2 EIRP (transmission power) is 26dbm on both 2.4 and 5.8ghz.

FCC BOOST takes it up to 30dbm which according to the FCC is the maximum legal signal strength.
So this is a 15.38% boost, would that equate to a 15.38% range increase? What about + the Yagi-Uda antennae attached? Could I hope for a 20% range increase with the two things combined?

And how would this compare to just getting the Alientech, since the drone-hacks FCC boost is 40 Euro?

What level of boost would the Alientech give? Could it get me to the point where the battery becomes the limiting factor on range? Would the FCC boost do that anyway?

I apologize, I just don't know the ratios of input to range and so on.

So this is a 15.38% boost, would that equate to a 15.38% range increase? What about + the Yagi-Uda antennae attached? Could I hope for a 20% range increase with the two things combined?

And how would this compare to just getting the Alientech, since the drone-hacks FCC boost is 40 Euro?

What level of boost would the Alientech give? Could it get me to the point where the battery becomes the limiting factor on range? Would the FCC boost do that anyway?

It's the environment you are flying in that's causing the issue.
Just try flying in a low interference area and you'll get the results you are wanting(and more) without any effort.

It's the environment you are flying in that's causing the issue.
Just try flying in a low interference area and you'll get the results you are wanting(and more) without any effort.
My objectives with the drone require me to fly in urban areas. I am using the drone to film videos.

I highly recommend you take a hot minute an fly your drone from inside your car and this will give you a new perspective .

Its always better to comment with your Eyes open to new Adventures such as flying in the rain or from inside the car and in the rain.

You will notice that I can see my drone just as well in this ( video.)

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly in the Rain, Land on the Water an Fly from Inside your Car.

Last edited:
I highly recommend you take a hot minute an fly your drone from inside your car
Any why would you think that I hadn't? I did try once on a very hot day to stay cool but couldn't see the drone after it got out over a few hundred feed because of limited view from windshield. I also have a sunroof but finally just got out of the car so I could keep an eye on my drone. You can refute this and say whatever you like, but I know better.

• Sad
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

As far as the active boosters like Alientech: I really couldn't say because I've never used them, but there are plenty of forum users who have and are far better qualified to respond.

As far as range is concerned: I couldn't comment - the increase in signal strength for me is to ensure a clear and powerful control signal.

Before applying the D-H FCC boost: with one of my Mavic 2's I was losing control connection less than 150' away even in open rural environments away from urban WiFi chatter. After installing the hack - full and reliable control signal up to my VLOS limit (the mk#1 eyeball).

I did try once on a very hot day to stay cool but couldn't see the drone after it got out over a few hundred feed because of limited view from windshield. I also have a sunroof but finally just got out of the car so I could keep an eye on my drone. You can refute this and say whatever you like, but I know better.
And I can tell you that I've had to retreat twice to the car for shelter from unexpected showers.
I wasn't flying high up above my launch point and the view of the drone out the windscreen and windows was just as good as if I was standing beside the car.

So this is a 15.38% boost, would that equate to a 15.38% range increase?

Unfortunately no. With omnidirectional antennas, the signal strength falls off as distance (r) squared. So a 15.38% boost will only extend range √(1.1538) = 1.074 or 7.4%. Doubling power, all things being equal, will get you about 41% more range.

Unfortunately no. With omnidirectional antennas, the signal strength falls off as distance (r) squared. So a 15.38% boost will only extend range √(1.1538) = 1.074 or 7.4%. Doubling power, all things being equal, will get you about 41% more range.
Thanks

When you say "doubling power", do you mean higher voltage throughput via a stronger battery? Or are you talking about something like the Alientech that would result in a 41% increase?

Alientech + FCC Boost >> FCC Boost only >>>>>> Alientech only >>> Yagi ≈ Vanilla

Flying a drone is a bidirectional communication, FCC mode compared to CE mode boost the emission on both the drone and the controller, while the Alientech or simmilar setups only boost the controller emission (and a little the reception).

You can reach battery bottleneck with the default controller, even the RC-N1 working in CE mode can reach 9+Km if you are at the top of a hill or a building and have unobstructed line of sight. Fying in FCC is just more comfortable, as you don't need to find the perfect takeoff spot based on the line of sight, and you don't need to be pointing the controller to the drone all the time.

A controller booster is usually the option for drones that don't have an FCC hack available or for people that even in FCC mode want more punch; else you just pick the FCC hack. It's €40, but it also grants you the option to unlock the altitude/geofencing on some drones.

IE, I picked the FCC hack for the M3 and I had to log on the DH app every time prior to the flight to change it to FCC, but then they updated to the hacked firmware without any extra charge. Same for the Mini 2. On the other hand, the Avata the FCC hack is free as it's only a file that you put on the microSD of your goggles.

I'll probably pick the M4 on release, and I'll pick the FCC hack license for it as soon as it's available (probably through the DH app). If it's worth or not depends on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: voip10
Thanks

When you say "doubling power", do you mean higher voltage throughput via a stronger battery? Or are you talking about something like the Alientech that would result in a 41% increase?

I'm speaking specifically of radiated power by the antenna. This can only be increased as allowed by the design of the transmitter output stage, or taking the output transmission, amplifying it and retransmitting – what Alientech does.

When you see an EIRP spec for a transmitter, that's power. Doubling would be 2x that number.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negrazo8100