DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P ND Filters...Do I need regular ND filters, if I get the corresponding ND/PL shades?

Brizzel81

Reactions
Is there an advantage to having regular ND filters as well as the ND filters with polarization? It just seems a bit redundant to buy six filters of the same shade, if the polarized versions will do both. Are there occasions would you do not what the polarization effect? What is the best value for a wide range of filters for the Mavic 2 Pro? I’m sure lots of people will say Polar Pro, but you have to buy so many sets to cover the spread. You could almost buy another drone after purchasing them all.

Yes, I do have the Polar Pros. I only use the polarized ones over clear water, etc to minimize surface reflection so the camera can see the bottom. In AZ I use ND mostly... and the 8 or 16 usually when I do. PolarPro does have a kit of 3 that you customize here:
Custom 3-Pack | Cinema Series | Mavic 2 Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22 and Brizzel81
Is there an advantage to having regular ND filters as well as the ND filters with polarization? It just seems a bit redundant to buy six filters of the same shade, if the polarized versions will do both. Are there occasions would you do not what the polarization effect? What is the best value for a wide range of filters for the Mavic 2 Pro? I’m sure lots of people will say Polar Pro, but you have to buy so many sets to cover the spread. You could almost buy another drone after purchasing them all.

Just get one or the other. Like @Thomas B said the PLs will make a difference over the water in certain light. But having both ND NDPL 8s and 4s is pointless. There’s not enough light at that point to make any differecd what so ever.

Thanks guys! I have bought cheaper ones before for my mavic air, and my mavic 1 pro. It seemed like I never used the ND 4 & sometimes needed a ND 32(only have for the air). I wish they sold an ND8 through ND32 six pack with polarizers. Seems(to me) like a marketing scheme to make you buy multiple sets. I just wanted everything I need for situations I might encounter for my new bird, without completely breaking the bank. There are other accessories that I want to invest in it.

Reactions: brett8883
This looks like a budget friendly set, with a bit of everything. What do you guys think? if the quality of the polar pro are that much better, I will buy them. I trust your wisdom. I want good quality, but I know that sometimes quality doesn’t always mean more money.
3fb47725e4f2bb89b31e7265202dd503.jpg

This looks like a budget friendly set, with a bit of everything. What do you guys think?
I don't have that specific set of filters, but I have many Freewell brand filters and they are made well.

Reactions: ff22 and Brizzel81
Well after weighing the fact that I’ve spent about $2000 on the smallest folding drone, with the best camera. I figured that cheaping out on the one thing that will ensure that I get the best possible images/footage, was stupid. I ordered the Polar Pro 6 pk 4-16 with polarizing filters. I’m sure I’ll order the 32-64 as soon as I know how much I will actually need them. Thanks for your help guys!

Yep, you’ll hardly use the 4 and wish fo a 32., but it is a great deal! I bought one a couple of months ago.

Yep, you’ll hardly use the 4 and wish fo a 32., but it is a great deal! I bought one a couple of months ago.

If you had to choose between an ND32 or an ND32/PL, which would you choose? Thinking of ordering one extra.

if you want 32 - this maker is also ok. as of polarizer on the drone - i am not sure it is worth it as when you yaw, it changes the effect quite a bit, it may be good for some photos, but not so much for videos.

i would get a single nd16 polarizer, may be, and it would be enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Filters-Mavi...CQY8B5QHG02&psc=1&refRID=QEN87F9CVCQY8B5QHG02

Just get one or the other. Like @Thomas B said the PLs will make a difference over the water in certain light. But having both ND NDPL 8s and 4s is pointless. There’s not enough light at that point to make any differecd what so ever.

This is actually not the case, due to the way polarization works. For most people looking for general filters, NDPL's are not a good choice. There is a huge difference, and that difference is especially pronounced in drone applications because you can't adjust it in the air. A PL is never something you want to leave on a drone in all scenarios, therefore you always want a regular ND as well as the corresponding NDPL (if you even want PL). PL's are an important tool, but generally are of very limited use on drones. The problem is that you get uneven footage the moment you change the direction the drone is flying in - the only way to use them without getting uneven footage is with a carefully planned flight plan in a single direction. As the level of polarization changes, not only do reflections and colors change, but so does the exposure, which is another problem with regards to your footage. If you are looking for a filter you can "set and forget" or use in general terms without a very specific flight path planned in relation to the sun's orientation, you just want regular ND filters.

If the PL filter is going on a drone, there is little value in an adjustable/rotating one because chances are you want maximum polarization if you are bothering to use a polarizing filter in the first place. Basically rotating it toggles the angle relative to the sun that receives maximum polarization, but it cannot magically produce a polarized effect at any angle - think of it more as changing the strength of polarization at any given orientation to the sun. It would also allow you to reduce the amount of polarization while flying in the direction of maximum polarization (90 degrees to the sun), but that would be something you would have to set on the ground anyway and there are far fewer scenarios where you only want a partial polarization. Whether you have a filter capable of rotating or not, you are bound to a single direction of flight if you don't want your footage to change mid-flight. At 180 degrees and 0 degrees to the sun there is no polarization. Maximum polarization is always at 90 degrees to the sun. If the sun is directly above you at high noon in an area near equator, you can get pretty broad polarization because most horizontal orientations will be roughly 90 degrees to the sun. If the sun is lower in the sky, there is a much tighter and less useful range that you will be able to achieve good polarization (basically straight up or straight down).

Polarization is one effect that no post-processing software can reproduce, not even close in fact, so if you want that look the only way to get it is to use a physical polarizer. Polarizers can both enhance or remove reflections, so depending on the scenario you might want one or the other. For example if you were shooting a landscape with lots of foliage, you may want to take the reflections off the leaves - or the most common example, making water less reflective and more see-through. Sometimes though you want the reflection enhanced - for example a rainbow or if there is a nice sunset reflecting off some calm water.

It's a good tool to have in the tool box, it just requires careful planning to get the most out of it and it's not something you want to just leave on and forget about like you can do with a standard ND filter. Most filter companies do a very poor job of explaining this to people and simply choose to market their PL filters as "vivid" or whatever, giving the customer the impression that they can just use them for any scenario and get better colors, which is far too simple and not the case.

I strongly recommend people do not use PL filters until you fully understand how polarization works, and how it is going to affect the way you fly as well as your footage. This is assuming you care about the quality and evenness of your footage, of course - if you're just buzzing around for fun that is another matter.

This is actually not the case, due to the way polarization works. For most people looking for general filters, NDPL's are not a good choice. There is a huge difference, and that difference is especially pronounced in drone applications because you can't adjust it in the air. A PL is never something you want to leave on a drone in all scenarios, therefore you always want a regular ND as well as the corresponding NDPL (if you even want PL). PL's are an important tool, but generally are of very limited use on drones. The problem is that you get uneven footage the moment you change the direction the drone is flying in - the only way to use them without getting uneven footage is with a carefully planned flight plan in a single direction. As the level of polarization changes, not only do reflections and colors change, but so does the exposure, which is another problem with regards to your footage. If you are looking for a filter you can "set and forget" or use in general terms without a very specific flight path planned in relation to the sun's orientation, you just want regular ND filters.

If the PL filter is going on a drone, there is little value in an adjustable/rotating one because chances are you want maximum polarization if you are bothering to use a polarizing filter in the first place. Basically rotating it toggles the angle relative to the sun that receives maximum polarization, but it cannot magically produce a polarized effect at any angle - think of it more as changing the strength of polarization at any given orientation to the sun. It would also allow you to reduce the amount of polarization while flying in the direction of maximum polarization (90 degrees to the sun), but that would be something you would have to set on the ground anyway and there are far fewer scenarios where you only want a partial polarization. Whether you have a filter capable of rotating or not, you are bound to a single direction of flight if you don't want your footage to change mid-flight. At 180 degrees and 0 degrees to the sun there is no polarization. Maximum polarization is always at 90 degrees to the sun. If the sun is directly above you at high noon in an area near equator, you can get pretty broad polarization because most horizontal orientations will be roughly 90 degrees to the sun. If the sun is lower in the sky, there is a much tighter and less useful range that you will be able to achieve good polarization (basically straight up or straight down).

Polarization is one effect that no post-processing software can reproduce, not even close in fact, so if you want that look the only way to get it is to use a physical polarizer. Polarizers can both enhance or remove reflections, so depending on the scenario you might want one or the other. For example if you were shooting a landscape with lots of foliage, you may want to take the reflections off the leaves - or the most common example, making water less reflective and more see-through. Sometimes though you want the reflection enhanced - for example a rainbow or if there is a nice sunset reflecting off some calm water.

It's a good tool to have in the tool box, it just requires careful planning to get the most out of it and it's not something you want to just leave on and forget about like you can do with a standard ND filter. Most filter companies do a very poor job of explaining this to people and simply choose to market their PL filters as "vivid" or whatever, giving the customer the impression that they can just use them for any scenario and get better colors, which is far too simple and not the case.

I strongly recommend people do not use PL filters until you fully understand how polarization works, and how it is going to affect the way you fly as well as your footage. This is assuming you care about the quality and evenness of your footage, of course - if you're just buzzing around for fun that is another matter.

That’s a great explaination thanks!

That is by far the best and “to the point “ explanation I have gotten. At first I was wanting to get the best for a decent price. After looking a pretty much every set on the market, I broke down and bought all of the PolarPro 4-64s,including the PLs. Like you said, I want my toolbox stocked and ready to go for any situation I might encounter. Thank you so much!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929