DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P vs. MPZ

The difference is very significant, and that gets even more significant if you do any kind of post processing of the RAW files (the file malleability of a 1/2.3" sensor image is almost zero). We have almost double the resolution from a sensor 4x as large, and at that point it's just physics - it is objectively much better. I have a Mavic Air (same sensor as M2 Zoom) and a Mavic 2 Pro and I don't even take photos with my Air because the quality is so low. It's fine for casual snaps but that's about it in my opinion. If you are happy with it though that's all that matters! You're very lucky to own both!
I agree with u but the sensor of air and zoom are different ......have to be maybe same size I can watch on my huge 4k monitor and discern a very big difference and you're right of course you can have much more of a flexible edit with the Pro 2 but let me tell you my Phantom 4 Pro V2 blows my mavic 2 Pro out of the water and editing is easier not trying to recover sharpness....also full fov4k blows on 2 pro....hq mode is okay but you really cannot tell difference on a phone or tablet you have to take it to the big screen and how many people are doing that these days ? I just don't like how soft it always looks even with editing and I can tell a big difference on my 2 Zoom even in transmission..... I guess if you're a big editor get the 2 Pro to each their own now I prefer the zoom..... 2 Pro will be up for sale soon....canada do u have both the zoom and 2 pro?

I agree with u but the sensor of air and zoom are different ......have to be maybe same size I can watch on my huge 4k monitor and discern a very big difference and you're right of course you can have much more of a flexible edit with the Pro 2 but let me tell you my Phantom 4 Pro V2 blows my mavic 2 Pro out of the water and editing is easier not trying to recover sharpness....also full fov4k blows on 2 pro....hq mode is okay but you really cannot tell difference on a phone or tablet you have to take it to the big screen and how many people are doing that these days ? I just don't like how soft it always looks even with editing and I can tell a big difference on my 2 Zoom even in transmission..... I guess if you're a big editor get the 2 Pro to each their own now I prefer the zoom..... 2 Pro will be up for sale soon....canada do u have both the zoom and 2 pro?

The Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Zoom both use a Sony IMX477 sensor to my knowledge - if you have a source that shows differently I would be genuinely curious to see it.

Yes we do have all of DJI's drones available in Canada - the combos with the Smart Controllers are just starting to land and I have one on order. I own a Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro and have used the Mavic 2 Zoom but don't own it because image quality is no better than my Mavic Air (though it is a better drone otherwise, except for being over twice as big/heavy).

The P4P v2 definitely puts out better video than the Mavic 2 Pro, I think that is pretty well known. It also has a mechanical shutter for stills.

Reactions: charliesRig
Oh come on dude .....see u dont even own a zoom get off the bandwagon man....i thought u had zoom and pro 2 listen you seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to these cameras but I'm going to tell you straight up the zoom camera is better than the air. I mean if you really think that the air is camera is even on par with the zoom then you need glasses it's not a total night and day difference but the zoom is better for sure .... anyways When i look at my mavic air 4k video file compared to my zoom 4k video file it is drastically different...picture quality very close. the one thing I hate about my air is how everything looks kind of pinkish in the sky i notice the air in general has this problem.... and if they do have the same sensor I don't know what DJI is doing but definitely it looks better on the zoom and performs better.... I do like the little guy takes great pictures though.... also I think you really need to fly a zoom again ( but this time record some 4k) and check it out on a 4k monitor) Or own one to make that kind of assumption the zoom has a better camera than the air period.... also why are you bringing up a mechanical shutter I know that the Phantom 4 pro has one that's totally Irrelevant for video though so?:rolleyes: like I said to each his own I hope you enjoy your mavic 2 Pro but I know I didn't and I'm getting rid of it. Its to soft even when turning sharpness up. There is a couple more problems that I won't get into. and Hasselblad?.... there is nothing Hasselblad about this camera at all 0% zilch

Last edited:
Oh come on dude .....see u dont even own a zoom get off the bandwagon man....i thought u had zoom and pro 2 listen you seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to these cameras but I'm going to tell you straight up the zoom camera is better than the air. I mean if you really think that the air is camera is even on par with the zoom then you need glasses it's not a total night and day difference but the zoom is better for sure .... anyways When i look at my mavic air 4k video file compared to my zoom 4k video file it is drastically different...picture quality very close. the one thing I hate about my air is how everything looks kind of pinkish in the sky i notice the air in general has this problem.... and if they do have the same sensor I don't know what DJI is doing but definitely it looks better on the zoom and performs better.... I do like the little guy takes great pictures though.... also I think you really need to fly a zoom again ( but this time record some 4k) and check it out on a 4k monitor) Or own one to make that kind of assumption the zoom has a better camera than the air period.... also why are you bringing up a mechanical shutter I know that the Phantom 4 pro has one that's totally Irrelevant for video though so?:rolleyes: like I said to each his own I hope you enjoy your mavic 2 Pro but I know I didn't and I'm getting rid of it. Its to soft even when turning sharpness up. There is a couple more problems that I won't get into. and Hasselblad?.... there is nothing Hasselblad about this camera at all 0% zilch
I agree with you. During the weekend, I flew my Air first and the Zoom second. I only have one SD card that I move between the two. I had the SD card in my pc afterwards. Going through the videos and photos, I could clearly see which of them was taken by the Zoom. Might be that they both have the same sensor, but clearly processed differently. They both also handle differently. It's like getting of a bicycle onto motorbike.

So as a recent Mavic 2 Pro owner, I have a little regret in not getting the Zoom. I had assumed that the Zoom camera was comparable to the Mavic Air camera, so I thought no need to buy the same camera for the new platform as I also own the MA. I love the Air, but I was looking for a bit more for detail and the ability to work post to really dig into the colors. Now after seeing some pro footage from the Zoom, I'm not so sure my assumption regarding the MA and M2Z cameras is correct. Actually, I'm a little frustrated with DJI for making me have to make the choice in the first place. The 1" sensor is superior, but the Zoom looks pretty amazing to me and better than the Air. I sure would appreciate some 4k zoom, oh well. Maybe down the road DJI will see fit to combine the two at the consumer level.

As a platform, the Mavic 2 is fantastic. It's extremely versatile and either one would make a superb choice for a drone. Maybe it's because I already own a Mavic Air, but at lower levels (where I do most of my shooting) it is a huge difference in noise. The MA is higher pitched and I believe louder. The Mavic 2 is almost silent by comparison in many situations. Again, I'm shooting in the 25'-200' range most of the time.

This is my first post, but I thought I would share my feelings on the matter. Maybe it will help someone trying to make a decision.

Probst: Welcome to the Forum and I believe your regret will disappear once you start editing M2P footage. IMHO, there is no comparison when it comes to the cameras but as many have said, it all depends on what you want to accomplish with your drone. I believe both the Z and the P are as good as it gets in the prosumer drone world but if the camera and image quality were your prime reasons for getting a P, then you won't be disappointed.

That said, if, like many here, you are only working with a phone or tablet, the Z might have been the better choice.

Reactions: Probst
I am actually very happy with the 2 Pro but how nice it would've been to have that zoom, too. It's probably a bit of the grass is greener as I've been guilty of that throughout my life. I can honestly say I would not want to give up the Pro now that I've used it.

I had read a breakdown somewhere on the internets regarding which M2 to get, and I think it was pretty spot on. If you are shooting subjects on video (people/animals/vehicles) get the zoom. If you're capturing large vistas, landscapes, and plan on taking high quality photographs, then go for the Pro. I actually do most of my shooting of subjects (people) but I am so close for the most part that the Pro does me just fine. Still...

I saw some footage recently where the subjects were captured at a relatively low height with the foreground and background compressed as the zoom swept completely around. It was beautiful. Maybe I'll buy the zoom too.

I am actually very happy with the 2 Pro but how nice it would've been to have that zoom, too. It's probably a bit of the grass is greener as I've been guilty of that throughout my life. I can honestly say I would not want to give up the Pro now that I've used it.

I had read a breakdown somewhere on the internets regarding which M2 to get, and I think it was pretty spot on. If you are shooting subjects on video (people/animals/vehicles) get the zoom. If you're capturing large vistas, landscapes, and plan on taking high quality photographs, then go for the Pro. I actually do most of my shooting of subjects (people) but I am so close for the most part that the Pro does me just fine. Still...

I saw some footage recently where the subjects were captured at a relatively low height with the foreground and background compressed as the zoom swept completely around. It was beautiful. Maybe I'll buy the zoom too.

With FOV and HQ modes on the Pro, you get similar fields of view compared the zoom, only with much higher image quality. With the Pro you get 77 and 55 degree 4K FOV's, with the Zoom you get 83 and 48 degree FOV's - not enough of a difference to make up for all the shortfalls in my opinion. On top of this you maintain the F2.8 aperture throughout, compared to the zoom which drops to F3.8 at 48mm which is almost a full stop slower than the Pro and is not adjustable at all on the Zoom. If you are OK with a final product being 1080P you can also do a 200% digital zoom on the Pro with no loss in quality (4K --> 1080P). It's so flexible that it makes you wonder why DJI didn't do more to differentiate the two, other than price of course - and to be fair that is a pretty big deal for some people. If you are using any of the unique features the Pro offers, be happy with your decision because the grass is no greener.

Just go and buy zoom gimbal like a lot of us did and you will have both models and no need to wonder which one is the one.
That is a stellar idea. I only wished I had purchased the zoom first, as it's a cheaper M2 base buy-in. But still a grand suggestion.

That is a stellar idea. I only wished I had purchased the zoom first, as it's a cheaper M2 base buy-in. But still a grand suggestion.

It's 6 screws and a ribbon cable - very easy swap. There is not much of a reason to own both drones if you are interested in both the M2P and M2Z. Cost of the M2Z gimbal is right around $400.

With the flexibility of the Pro through it's harder to make a case to own both (or both gimbals) other than convenience.

I zoom my MP2 by pushing the right stick forward. (Ha, Ha). Seriously, in most, not all, cases you can just fly closer to frame the shot. I have flown within 50 ft of wild animals with no reaction. Closer than that they start to notice.

I have both. I still prefer the Zoom. I dont like the colors on the M2P very much, they are more natural on the Zoom. I do use a lot the zooming feature.
Relating to the photos, they are both great. I use the superresolution on the M2Zoom and get nice 48MP photos with great colors and resolution as good as my M2P.
Here it is one I took recently. Fully automated one 48MP photo with the M2Zoom.

View attachment 64825

Attachments

• PanoramicaC1.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 30
  • Vale_das_flores_2.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 21
I am completely new to the drone thing. I am conflicted between the M2P vs the ZOOM. I use a MAC and I am not computer smart. I am mostly on my kayak fishing the flats and I want some cool video. The zoom looks like the best way to go for real time edits but the camera on the pro seems to be better all around. Any thoughts on which drone would be the best way to go with me being a complete drone green pea?
Both are Fantastic....... but different pay grades

Both are Fantastic....... but different pay grades

Jelly, both are the same drone.
Both record at maximum 4k resolution.
The Pro takes better photos especially at night (they get less noise at night than the Zoom). The Zoom can take good photos also but using superresolution feature (48MegaPixel photos).
The zoom has advantages like doing zoom so you dont have to be close to the objects recording and crash the drone.You can fly higher and still film closer with the Zoom (good for hiding the filming from people/animals) detection.
In the aspect of video recording /photographs:
If you want nice videos you will have to colorgrade (adjust the color so they look better and more natural) on both drones. The nice videos you see and photos all of them have photoshop to be better than they get out of the camera.
I personally prefer the colors and the sharpeness of the Zoom camera but you could get nice videos on both (with a little more time and computing you can get better videos on the PRO since it allows you to record in the Dlog recording format and technically the camera has more colors gamut).

So, since they are both the same physical drone only the camera is different) any you choose will be right for you.
I personally think the mavic2pro difference in price doesnt justify the almost equivalent quality videos.

There are many more Mavic2Pro videos because there are more people buying the Pro (because they think since it is more expensive it should be better).
You can find many good M2Zoom videos on youtube.

Here is one of each for you to compare :

You can see the quality of the videos is equivalent even if they say the Pro has a bigger sensor and more colors.
I do have both the Zoom and the Pro. I am not selling none of them. I use the Pro only to take aereal photos because they are a little better.
I use the Zoom for video and overall almost everytime because it is more versatile.

I do not focus on the technology of both cameras. I'm only interested in quality and honestly besides the photos they are very similar.
I have a sony A7 digital camera and the photos and video are very much much better than any of the drone cameras. So, there I can easily see the difference in photo/video quality. Comparing the Zoom/Pro I honestly dont see much difference.

So, concluding, removing the price from the equation the drones are very similar in quality of photos/videos. With a little work I can get the same image/video quality on both.
The nice videos out there are nice because the people who makes them are very good at it (there are wonderful Mavic Air videos out there too..), more than the camera model.

Just to make my point, if you have the opinion that the only drone that takes good photos is the Mavic2Pro take a look at these photos from the Mavic Air:

Review: DJI Mavic Air

Dont know if the 500$ price difference justifies the Pro. For me it was a publicity act to sell the Pro.

Just see this video comparing both at the same scenes.
You will judge and decide for yourself:

For the price, and forgetting all the technical jargon, the Zoom is a better choice for me. I Have both. I love both!
..but it is just my 2 cents opinion..

Last edited:
It's 6 screws and a ribbon cable - very easy swap. There is not much of a reason to own both drones if you are interested in both the M2P and M2Z. Cost of the M2Z gimbal is right around $400.

With the flexibility of the Pro through it's harder to make a case to own both (or both gimbals) other than convenience.

Well it was just over 3 weeks waiting for the shipment (from China) but I finally received the Zoom gimbal. The swap took all of 10 minutes, much of that making certain I had the cable lined up correctly before committing to seating it.

It was worth the $285, and thank you for the suggestion. Cheers!

Reactions: CanadaDrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive