DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Z gimbal playing up post-crash, is my camera stuffed?

Jondotgon

Reactions
That dreaded sound of propellors meeting foliage...in Sport mode yesterday I flew backwards into a tree, M2Z fell about 15 metres to the ground, I think it's fall was broken by more bushes at ground level.

Recovered it, no cracks, no opened joints, no visible broken bits. It flew fine for another three flights no problem, then midflight the gimbal went to about 45 degree tilt and stayed there. Transmission of image to the controller is still fine, zoom functions as it should.

I tried restarting several times, the gimbal goes through its turning and rolling routine, as normal, except it ends up on the extreme angle.

Following these restarts I did hold the gimbal and moved the drone about and the gimbal went back to normal with no tilt. When I next restrtedthe drone the gimbal went through its routine and ended badly tilted wgain.

I have updated to latest firmware, no difference.

Before updating the firmware I couldn't see the gimbal icon on-screen, so couldn't go to calibrate it. After the update the gimbal icon appeared at start-up but when I went to it the response was gimbal U/A. Presume unavailable.

Does this sound like a ribbon cable issue? I don't know anything about it and I guess one can't really tell what's wrong from my description, so I do plan to take it to the service centre. I see from other threads that sometimes a arm on the gimbal can be bent, but I can't see anything out of square there, and the gimbal goes through its start-up movements as normal but the camera ends on an that darn 45'ish degree. But I thought I'd ask on here in case anyone's experienced a like situation before and resolved it.

Last edited:
No-one got any thoughts? It's at a repair agent now. Amazingly when I visited the DJI only authorised repair agency in New Zealand with the drone in hand last week they advised it will take 21 days for them to get to start looking at it, even to run a initial diagnostic on it. I would have thought they would fit another camera to see if it works.

No-one got any thoughts? It's at a repair agent now. Amazingly when I visited the DJI only authorised repair agency in New Zealand with the drone in hand last week they advised it will take 21 days for them to get to start looking at it, even to run a initial diagnostic on it. I would have thought they would fit another camera to see if it works.
My firs thought given your statements about condition would be a small amount of grit in the gimbal preventing the motion when trapped... or a defective gimbal motor.

Reactions: Jondotgon
My firs thought given your statements about condition would be a small amount of grit in the gimbal preventing the motion when trapped... or a defective gimbal motor.

Thanks for taking the time to read Thomas B, and for your thoughts. I still have it in for repair, and bought a refurbished Mavic 2 Pro today (and DJI Refresh for it) as I need to get on with some work. I'm looking forward to seeing what the repair folk come back with as well, and all being well will have the M2zoom back soon. Quite an inconvenient time to have to buy a new machine, with the Mavic 3 hovering just around the corner. Paying the price for my thoughtlessness...

Thanks for taking the time to read Thomas B, and for your thoughts. I still have it in for repair, and bought a refurbished Mavic 2 Pro today (and DJI Refresh for it) as I need to get on with some work. I'm looking forward to seeing what the repair folk come back with as well, and all being well will have the M2zoom back soon. Quite an inconvenient time to have to buy a new machine, with the Mavic 3 hovering just around the corner. Paying the price for my thoughtlessness...
Is there a THREE just around the corner? Rumors or just it is time?

Release of Mavic 3 is rumour until we hear an official release, however, speaking to staff at a DJI outlet yesterday they said:

A) DJI are not concerned about the Autel Evo ll (which is due to hit the retail shelves anytime now, with the test models already in the hands of reviewers)

B) The Mavic 3 release is three months away, delayed due to wanting to improve it in some areas

Which is similar to what is being quipped online, except that there it is said:

A) DJI were expected to release the Mavic 3 late January

B) DJI were taken by surprise by the new Autels capabilities, which was an unexpected quantum leap forward and includes obstacle avoidance and 6K and 8K cameras plus a thermal camera, that they've boosted the release of the DJI until Summer

C) Introduction of a Mavic 3 sounds like it is a "when", not a "might"

But until DJI actually shows its hand in regards to an M3, there is nothing out there but blather at present, possibly even some deliberate misinformation being put out.

But now I've bought a new M2P I'll bet the prices on it drop and the M3 will rise ethereally up into view!

Regarding the Mavic 3.
If DJIs efforts on the mini release are anything to go by, I would not run out and buy an M3 too soon, that's for sure.
I'd say you did a good thing picking up the M2P, the compliment the M2Z . . . apart from possible battery issue it is fairly tried and proven now.
Even from release, the M2 didn't seem to have many bugs or issues, probable it wasn't rushed onto the market.

Great Scott!! What's this about a battery issue? First I've heard of it, - I haven't been on the forum for months...I'll have to go google it now. I've got 7 batteries.

Great Scott!! What's this about a battery issue? First I've heard of it, - I haven't been on the forum for months...I'll have to go google it now. I've got 7 batteries.

Seems to be a few people getting swelling, usually during / just after charging, and probably when warm in flight.
One recent loss of an M2 had a battery disconnect, other threads where some have shown the issue in posts.
All drones can get these issues, but the M2 batts seem to happen at very early stage sometimes, and more than I've noticed other models in posts.
Not sure where you'd search here, there are posts in various forums, and the search terms probably vary quite a bit.

Seems to be a few people getting swelling, usually during / just after charging, and probably when warm in flight.
One recent loss of an M2 had a battery disconnect, other threads where some have shown the issue in posts.
All drones can get these issues, but the M2 batts seem to happen at very early stage sometimes, and more than I've noticed other models in posts.
Not sure where you'd search here, there are posts in various forums, and the search terms probably vary quite a bit.

Thanks, I've had a google search and found a bit of info there ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore