DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 ascend up and over house and land in backyard?

kanesimages

Reactions
Hello, Im trying to educate some "Drone Spying" paranoid residents in our immediate area neighborhoods on the flight capabilities of most if not all drones. Without trying the following scenario I posted that its impossible to fly down the street from my front yard, up and over a houses and have complete control of the landing into someone elses backyard. Let alone fly around the distant backyard and spy in someone's window. A fellow neighbor explained he own an M3 and has actually done the following scenario, not spy haha but actually up and over his home and no disconnect. My experiences with all my drones including the M3 is they disconnect without that clean line of sight. Thoughts? Possible without disconnecting? Possible but a rare happening?

thanks

It's quite possible as long as your controller retains contact with drone. It's all subject to local conditions and capability of controller and pilot. Of course it would violate VLOS requirements for operation.

My experiences with all my drones including the M3 is they disconnect without that clean line of sight. Thoughts? Possible without disconnecting? Possible but a rare happening?
Signal will be lost if there is an obstacle that blocks signal between the controller and drone.
It's possible that a wood walled house might not be sufficient to block signal as a brick or steel wall would.
Or that if the drone was very close to the edge, that signal might not have been completely blocked.

Signal will be lost if there is an obstacle that blocks signal between the controller and drone.
It's possible that a wood walled house might not be sufficient to block signal as a brick or steel wall would.
Or that if the drone was very close to the edge, that signal might not have been completely blocked.
There is also a delay before the loss of signal setting takes place, enabling continuous video before it ascends. I certainly wouldn't try to convince any neighbor of how their paranoia is unfounded! We've all seen how good the 7x telephoto lens on the M3 is! If they knew what it was truly capable of, it would only increase their paranoia! 🤣

Also, the signal doesnt always have to be line-of-sight. If there is another house nearby, its walls can (and will) bounce the signal to done that is beyond another house from your point of view. Of course, the strenght and quality of signal will be degraded severly, but over short distances it will still work.
Same principle of GPS working in a narrow streets with high buildings, catching satelites that are behind buildings aswell

Reactions: WWMav

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes