DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It happened to me ....and I didn't like it

I far as I know there is not an RID scanner that works on IOS.

Keep in mind the smartphone RID apps have nothing to do with FlightRadar 24 and it's information feed. FR24 doesn't scan locally from the phone it's running on for RID broadcasts near by.

Not yet. 😁

Military and large drones most likely have ADS-B, not RID. They're not the same and currently are not linked.

Just guessing, but they're probably squawking ATC ident codes as well, and are easily detected by radar.

Keep in mind the smartphone RID apps have nothing to do with FlightRadar 24 and it's information feed. FR24 doesn't scan locally from the phone it's running on for RID broadcasts near by.

Not yet. 😁
Actually FR24 is showing the ADS-B broadcasts in the area which has nothing to do with RID.

Actually FR24 is showing the ADS-B broadcasts in the area which has nothing to do with RID.

I know. I made no connection between ADS-B and RID. I'm confused as to the relevance of your comment in response to mine.

I know. I made no connection between ADS-B and RID. I'm confused as to the relevance of your comment in response to mine.
I think I didn't parse this sentence correctly:
FR24 doesn't scan locally from the phone it's running on for RID broadcasts near by.

Apologies.

I knew that before buying my first drone, that's why I don't comply with some rules and fly my own way to minimize bothering other people.

A drone flying by at some altitude is a curious sighting, but a drone hovering nearby feels like a threat and a privacy violation, and will always feel like that.

I think I didn't parse this sentence correctly:
FR24 doesn't scan locally from the phone it's running on for RID broadcasts near by.

Apologies.

No worries. Just couldn't understand what you were correcting 🙂

To be clear, FR24 doesn't scan for anything. The app gets it's data from servers over the internet (presumably FR24 servers, but I have no knowledge of their client/server setup).

A drone flying by at some altitude is a curious sighting, but a drone hovering nearby feels like a threat and a privacy violation, and will always feel like that.

Exactly.

The general public cares not one little bit what the legal ins and outs are regarding who has the right to control the immediate, low-altitude airspace over their home (say, up to roughly 100 feet).

They control it. Just like they control the groundspace around their home. The "law" only becomes of interest when someone violates a belief in a right to privacy.

I shake my head reading some of the opinions here about what drone pilots have a right to do, and how private citizens should pound sand if they don't like it. Very naive, and short sighted.

Time and time again, drone pilots lose in the legal system when such cases come up (privacy conflict). Even if the drone pilot is technically right under FAA regs, the victim and prosecutors disagree and/or don't care, same with the judge, and forget sympathy from any jury should it get that far.

The drone operator will get absolutely no help from the FAA. Why? First and foremost, they have much much much bigger priorities with their limited resources.

Also, though, I suspect FAA personnel largely agree with the victim and prosecutor in spirit, and are rather annoyed by jerks who get off harassing people with their drones. Creating headaches for them when their trying to deal with bigger issues like Amazon drone deliveries.

Yeah, the FAA has, on paper, 100% authority over all airspace in the US. In practice, they're squishy about it for the kinds of things we're talking about here. They will ignore you if you need an assist with your defense: You had every right to hover over your neighbors pool at 50ft while his 17 year old, professional lingerie model daughter sunbathes in a bikini. The local county board or supes doesn't have the authority to restrict what you do with it, even though in their foolishness they passed an ordinance.

Shake your fist and grouse mightily about it, as you pay the fine. Who was the fool?

Push and push and push this, drone pilots, and there is only one outcome: A change to the FAA regs providing for some limited property rights for airspace over private property.

So please, let's not make this enough of a problem to get Congress' attention. We won't like the result.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Exactly.

The general public cares not one little bit what the legal ins and outs are regarding who has the right to control the immediate, low-altitude airspace over their home (say, up to roughly 100 feet).

They control it. Just like they control the groundspace around their home. The "law" only becomes of interest when someone violates a belief in a right to privacy.

I shake my head reading some of the opinions here about what drone pilots have a right to do, and how private citizens should pound sand if they don't like it. Very naive, and short sighted.

Time and time again, drone pilots lose in the legal system when such cases come up (privacy conflict). Even if the drone pilot is technically right under FAA regs, the victim and prosecutors disagree and/or don't care, same with the judge, and forget sympathy from any jury should it get that far.

The drone operator will get absolutely no help from the FAA. Why? First and foremost, they have much much much bigger priorities with their limited resources.

Also, though, I suspect FAA personnel largely agree with the victim and prosecutor in spirit, and are rather annoyed by jerks who get off harassing people with their drones. Creating headaches for them when their trying to deal with bigger issues like Amazon drone deliveries.

Yeah, the FAA has, on paper, 100% authority over all airspace in the US. In practice, they're squishy about it for the kinds of things we're talking about here. They will ignore you if you need an assist with your defense: You had every right to hover over your neighbors pool at 50ft while his 17 year old, professional lingerie model daughter sunbathes in a bikini. The local county board or supes doesn't have the authority to restrict what you do with it, even though in their foolishness they passed an ordinance.

Shake your fist and grouse mightily about it, as you pay the fine. Who was the fool?

Push and push and push this, drone pilots, and there is only one outcome: A change to the FAA regs providing for some limited property rights for airspace over private property.

So please, let's not make this enough of a problem to get Congress' attention. We won't like the result.
You're joking, right? Please tell me this is a joke. LOL

Show me a case where the city passed an ordinance against hovering a drone over someone's property, the person came out of their house and didn't like it (I'm not talking about buzzing and harassing like the issues you are conflating), the police arrested that person, the prosecutor didn't care, the FAA didnt help and didn't care because they are busy well into their 12th year dealing with a fantasy Amazon drone delivery system, and the jurors convicted because the drone flyer didn't have a competent lawyer, and the appeals court who are real judges who care only about the laws and nothing about people's hurt feelings refused to reverse a ridiculous low court decision, and the real victim ended up paying $100 ticket which was actually a plea bargain to offset the dozen other made-up state charges he was facing from the police/prosecutors who know they didn't have a drone/privacy case so they faked and abused the system with made up criminal charges that would have put the drone flyer on the sex-offenders list just to keep their stupid drone ordinance alive; but I digress.

/s/s/s/s

You're joking, right? Please tell me this is a joke. LOL

Show me a case where the city passed an ordinance against hovering a drone over someone's property, the person came out of their house and didn't like it (I'm not talking about buzzing and harassing like the issues you are conflating),

I can't show you any such case given that you've excluded exactly the kind of cases I'm talking about.

And honestly, I'm not really motivated to engage you on this when you seem to lack objectivity about what the FAA is spending a lot of time on.

So long as you view the prospect and work going on to bring autonomous drone operations to private enterprise activities like deliveries with dismissive disdain, it's just about impossible to have a serious, reasoned conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
I can't show you any such case given that you've excluded exactly the kind of cases I'm talking about.

And honestly, I'm not really motivated to engage you on this when you seem to lack objectivity about what the FAA is spending a lot of time on.

So long as you view the prospect and work going on to bring autonomous drone operations to private enterprise activities like deliveries, it's just about impossible to have a serious, reasoned conversation.
We won't get autonomous drone operations because the *people* don't want it; don't blame it on me. Plus government regulations are the sole and primary prevention never mind the lack of knowledge and execution to make it happen. The FAA has to first get rid of the recreational flyers completely and that is difficult and it's proving to be impossible; maybe the DJI ban will do the trick. Anyone who thinks the FAA is busy trying to make it happen is laughable. They are the ones standing in the way.

We don't need special drone harassment laws; we already have harassment and spying and surveillance laws that cover cars, boats, drones, cameras, binoculars, telescopes, bullhorns, dogs, etc.

We won't get autonomous drone operations because the *people* don't want it; don't blame it on me.

From this 2024 article:

"These days, nearly 9 in 10 people are eager for delivery drones to help run errands for them — at least according to the results of one new survey conducted by Virginia Tech researchers. In contrast, previous surveys conducted in the U.S. found public support for drone delivery to be far lower. A November 2019 Hawthorn Group survey found that 51% of Americans said they would support neighborhood deliveries, but 49% felt they were too dangerous. And a June 2020 study from the Consumer Technology Association found that only 49% of consumers rate autonomous delivery technologies (like drones) as somewhat or very favorable."

Plus government regulations are the sole and primary prevention never mind the lack of knowledge and execution to make it happen. The FAA has to first get rid of the recreational flyers completely

No, not true. This seems based in hysteria. If you have ANY meeting minutes, transcripts, etc. from any government entity at all just hinting at eliminating drones for hobbyists please share it.

Anyone who thinks the FAA is busy trying to make it happen is laughable.

That is rather rude. I wonder if your post will be allowed to stay...

They are the ones standing in the way.

We don't need special drone harassment laws; we already have harassment and spying and surveillance laws that cover cars, boats, drones, cameras, binoculars, telescopes, bullhorns, dogs, etc.

What we "need" is a matter of public policy, not just your or my opinion. We will "need" changes to existing regulations if the majority think so, and "fixing" it becomes politically important. It's not right now.

Anyone who thinks the FAA is busy trying to make it happen is laughable. They are the ones standing in the way.
That is rather rude. I wonder if your post will be allowed to stay...
As usual, I speak in general terms. Not directed towards you or even the FAA in particular. But towards a government agency and the people. *Nobody* should expect the government to do anything for them except maybe fight the next war or stop the next pandemic. No government in this country will build high speed trains, fix the nation's airport system, contain climate change, take us to Mars, implement self-driving cars or drone delivery, rebuild our roads and bridges, get flooding and water shortages under control, or fix our electric grid sham...not unless you are willing to wait 75 to 100 years and 20 to 30 trillion dollars later. The only way this is going to happen is for them to step out of the way and allow America to do what it does best in the private sector. We would all be still talking on POTS..... It's 2024, the government is not here to help you. They need to go back to the limited responsibilities that have been given (look it up, it's clearly spelled out in the Constitution) and stand down. The FAA is not all that interested in drone delivery else we would have had it by now, it's been long enough and it's not rocket science. All you need to do is look at the state of the airlines and the post office and the trains and that's what drones will look like until the FAA let's it go. No one reading this today at the time I am posting this will ever see one these flying in general use in the public in their lifetime; it's a total fantasy:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When doing commercial work in a residential neighborhood, seems like a good idea to knock on doors of adjacent properties and let them know what's going on...

I get the good intent. But when you're doing nothing wrong, there's no need to explain it. I wouldn't know you're flying around my neighbors house until you knocked on my door. Don't give the angry folks the opportunity to make it a thing.

A very cynical view you guys have of your fellow citizen. Have you had mostly bad experiences with others through life that lead you to be so suspicious?

My direct experience in life, at 62, is the opposite. The vast majority of people, throughout my life in all contexts, is in the big picture they're good, decent folk. I'm of a mind not to be a stranger, doing something around them they aren't clear on.

I've never had a problem when I've informed a homeowner I would like to fly near their property and why. Frequently they're curious, want to see what it looks like from the drone.

If you're concerned about the longevity of this hobby consider being an Ambassdor rather than a suspect. When someone is extreme, and angrily tells you NO, consider packing up and flying somewhere else if the flight you wanted to do isn't vital in some way.

We all have to live together.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
As usual, I speak in general terms. Not directed towards you or even the FAA in particular. But towards a government agency and the people. *Nobody* should expect the government to do anything for them except maybe fight the next war or stop the next pandemic. No government in this country will build high speed trains, fix the nation's airport system, contain climate change, take us to Mars, implement self-driving cars or drone delivery, rebuild our roads and bridges, get flooding and water shortages under control, or fix our electric grid sham...not unless you are willing to wait 75 to 100 years and 20 to 30 trillion dollars later. The only way this is going to happen is for them to step out of the way and allow America to do what it does best in the private sector. We would all be still talking on POTS..... It's 2024, the government is not here to help you. They need to go back to the limited responsibilities that have been given (look it up, it's clearly spelled out in the Constitution) and stand down. The FAA is not all that interested in drone delivery else we would have had it by now, it's been long enough and it's not rocket science. All you need to do is look at the state of the airlines and the post office and the trains and that's what drones will look like until the FAA let's it go. No one reading this today at the time I am posting this will ever see one these flying in general use in the public in their lifetime; it's a total fantasy:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Readers Digest version: "Government bad. Ugh."

Again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seangm