DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 Buyer Questions

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm considering a move from the M2P to the M3. I've read through these forums to answer most of my major questions, Here are a few nagging ones that remain.

1. How is the M3 after-shot review quality of still night shots? (Take a shot, play it back immediately to view on the tablet screen.) The M2P playback is of high-ISO shots is garbage, the noise being so high as to make them unviewable. It sucks to only know if you flubbed a shot after you get home.
  2. The M2P Std. controller had a side-port problem (would get damaged too easily and was expensive to repair / replace). I heard about that early-on and so always used the bottom USB port except for charging. Is the M3 without this issue entirely?
  3. The M2P Std. controller had a battery issue for some, where at a certain age the battery would stop holding a charge long enough to fly for a few aircraft batteries worth. Is the M3 Std. controller battery without this issue so far?
  4. I'm planning on continuing to use my existing iPod Air 2 tablet with the M3 standard controller (in a new MavMount tablet mount). Are there any noted performance issues? Any problems at all? I see it listed as favorable in the following page:
  5. Does the M3 Std. controller charge the device (phone / tablet) like the M2P controller does? If so, is it switchable (can we turn that off) in DJI Fly? (To be clear, I do not want the controller to be charging the device.)
  6. Not critical: Does Adobe have camera / lens profiles in Photoshop/Lightroom now?
  7. Not critical: Any non-DJI ND filters yet?
Note that while I shoot video (and the updated video capabilities of the M3 are appreciated), I am mainly a still-photographer. And I'm not interested in any sport/racing capabilities at all.

Thanks much, Chris

1. No idea...

2. No problem with ports, they are located well.

3. The controller battery is quite large and lasts for many flights. No problems to date

4. iPad Air 2 is known to work but is aging so could have some issues as DJI FLY continues to be updated.

5. The standard controller will charge iPhone & iPad but can be turned off in settings, When connected to an Android device, charging cannot be turned off but the controller battery is large and can take the hit.

6. No idea.

7. Yes, aftermarket filters and even aftermarket Wide Angle lenses are available.

1. Not critical: Does Adobe have camera / lens profiles in Photoshop/Lightroom now?
For many years now you don't need camera/lens profiles
Adobe software will use the lens correction factors that are built-in to each image file the camera captures.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Did I see or read somewhere that DJI solved this by going to the“C” style cables/connectors on the M3?
It was fixed for the Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S already which use the same basic controller. Both the New RC Pro controller and the standard controller feature USB-C connections in positions that don't put pressure on the cable in normal use.

Reactions: Howard70
It was fixed for the Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S already which use the same basic controller. Both the New RC Pro controller and the standard controller feature USB-C connections in positions that don't put pressure on the cable in normal use.
Good to hear that it's using C-type ports, but yes: the problem seemed to be the pressure on the cable (regardless of type) causing damage to those ports (perhaps the port's soldered connection to the PC board inside the remote, I'm not sure). I see that the ports are now in a new position (not on the side), but hopefully the inside connections are also more robust.

Chris

Hi all,

I'm considering a move from the M2P to the M3. I've read through these forums to answer most of my major questions, Here are a few nagging ones that remain.

1. How is the M3 after-shot review quality of still night shots? (Take a shot, play it back immediately to view on the tablet screen.) The M2P playback is of high-ISO shots is garbage, the noise being so high as to make them unviewable. It sucks to only know if you flubbed a shot after you get home.
  2. The M2P Std. controller had a side-port problem (would get damaged too easily and was expensive to repair / replace). I heard about that early-on and so always used the bottom USB port except for charging. Is the M3 without this issue entirely?
  3. The M2P Std. controller had a battery issue for some, where at a certain age the battery would stop holding a charge long enough to fly for a few aircraft batteries worth. Is the M3 Std. controller battery without this issue so far?
  4. I'm planning on continuing to use my existing iPod Air 2 tablet with the M3 standard controller (in a new MavMount tablet mount). Are there any noted performance issues? Any problems at all? I see it listed as favorable in the following page:
  5. Does the M3 Std. controller charge the device (phone / tablet) like the M2P controller does? If so, is it switchable (can we turn that off) in DJI Fly? (To be clear, I do not want the controller to be charging the device.)
  6. Not critical: Does Adobe have camera / lens profiles in Photoshop/Lightroom now?
  7. Not critical: Any non-DJI ND filters yet?
Note that while I shoot video (and the updated video capabilities of the M3 are appreciated), I am mainly a still-photographer. And I'm not interested in any sport/racing capabilities at all.

Thanks much, Chris
One thing to consider is the Fly application!! on these 2 drones, they are different! For me, coming from a Mavic 2 Zoom for 3 years, the DJI Go fly is quite good and familiar. On the other hand, when I tried for the first time the DJI Fly app that controls de Mavic 3, well, what can I say.... Really hate it...completely different to the DJI GO Fly layout....Either I am too old for change, or it is really not at nice as the Mavic 2 Zoom app......

One thing to consider is the Fly application!! on these 2 drones, they are different! For me, coming from a Mavic 2 Zoom for 3 years, the DJI Go fly is quite good and familiar. On the other hand, when I tried for the first time the DJI Fly app that controls de Mavic 3, well, what can I say.... Really hate it...completely different to the DJI GO Fly layout....Either I am too old for change, or it is really not at nice as the Mavic 2 Zoom app......
Yeah, I was expecting that as DJI Fly has been used on other models released after the M2P. Having to learn a new app is a PITA, but it's good to be on the app that has the most current support too.

Chris

Yeah, I was expecting that as DJI Fly has been used on other models released after the M2P. Having to learn a new app is a PITA, but it's good to be on the app that has the most current support too.

Chris
And to ad salt to the wound….just find out that on the Mavic 3 you cannot record the sound (narration over the video you are taking), which it is possible to do on the Mavic 2……
Very bad for some of us that narrate/explain what we are filming.

And to ad salt to the wound….just find out that on the Mavic 3 you cannot record the sound (narration over the video you are taking), which it is possible to do on the Mavic 2……
Very bad for some of us that narrate/explain what we are filming.

Well, I don't do narration, but if I did, I would feel more comfortable doing it in post. sitting in a chair watching the already-edited final sequence, being able to do a retake of a part I flubbed, much higher quality fidelity, etc.

Just the fact that I edit final footage would invalidate live narration.

To be honest, I would guess that people who narrate when flying (or narrate at all) is probably a small percentage.

Chris

Reactions: Norval
Well, I don't do narration, but if I did, I would feel more comfortable doing it in post. sitting in a chair watching the already-edited final sequence, being able to do a retake of a part I flubbed, much higher quality fidelity, etc.

Just the fact that I edit final footage would invalidate live narration.

To be honest, I would guess that people who narrate when flying (or narrate at all) is probably a small percentage.

Chris
Late comment... but some would record their notes to themselves, not as a voice over to final video. Examples: Roof Inspection, making comments or calling out areas so they'll insure to bring attention in final product. Others are Ag & Construction notes, etc. Others liked to record comments for record... Client assistanting in flight review, SAR grid comments, etc.

Late comment... but some would record their notes to themselves, not as a voice over to final video. Examples: Roof Inspection, making comments or calling out areas so they'll insure to bring attention in final product. Others are Ag & Construction notes, etc. Others liked to record comments for record... Client assistanting in flight review, SAR grid comments, etc.
Good points.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada