DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 GPS

Hi

I have today test my new mavic 3 first time.

Charged battery,update firmware.

Bring m3 out and wait ower 20 minutes to lock on gps. Nothing more that 8-9 satelites. So i cant even test it today. I have dji drones for 6. years and the last has been mavic mini 2. With no one drone i hawe this problem, all drones has lock with max 2-3 minutes or less!

What is wrong with this drone?
I have a similar experience since the update..very slow to update home.. my Air 2 doesn't take that long.. but like I said..since the update....

Hi

Bring m3 out and wait ower 20 minutes to lock on gps. Nothing more that 8-9 satelites. So i cant even test it today. I have dji drones for 6. years and the last has been mavic mini 2. With no one drone i hawe this problem, all drones has lock with max 2-3 minutes or less!

I use an M2Pro and never had any trouble locking onto satellites wherever I was and usually within a few seconds. From all that I've read it sounds like the M3 wasn't really tested enough before release. Hopefully they can correct all issues with software updates

Reactions: db4476
It's a known issue with M3. Don't fly with 12 sats because you can lose 3 in a blink.
Wait until you get 16+

16+?

That seems like gross overkill. I've heard people say 10 or even 12 and that seems like far more than necessary.
Personally I'm more than happy locking onto 10

16+?

That seems like gross overkill. I've heard people say 10 or even 12 and that seems like far more than necessary.

The reason for 16+ is because it REQUIRES 12, below 12 it won't set Home Point and a Warning Banner comes up saying weak GPS below 12 and sometimes with 12. I've had it as high as 16 and later have it drop to 12.

With it running like pure sh$t, I won't even think of lifting off without at least 16 now.

Before the firmware update, I'd get home point in like 30 seconds, every time.

With proper running GPS usually once you get a lock, precision gets better and better.
With this current crap firmware, that is NOT the case.

16 Sats is NOT overkill right now. It's barely enough.

Before the firmware update I didn't even pay attention to number sats. Home point in 30 seconds and go.
Now it's wait, wait, wait, Home Point, then weak, good, weak, good, weak, good for 20 minutes.

Watch the Video I posted. Link to Posting with Video

Last edited:
16+?

The reason for 16+ is because it REQUIRES 12, below 12 it won't set Home Point and a Warning Banner comes up saying weak GPS below 12 and sometimes with 12. I've had it as high as 16 and later have it drop to 12.
None of the people who suggest that a certain number of satellites is required know anything about GPS or how the drone uses GPS.
There is no single number of sats required to ensure that the drone is good to go in GPS mode.

Watch the Video I posted.
Your video isn't very helpful.
I've suggested several times that you need to post flight data if you want help.
But one thing that is immediately obvious from your video, is that you don't have the drone out in the open where it has a clear, unobstructed view of most of the sky.
It's on a building balcony with half the sky blocked by the building, which means approx half the potential sats not visible to the GPS receiver.

None of the people who suggest that a certain number of satellites is required know anything about GPS or how the drone uses GPS.
There is no single number of sats required to ensure that the drone is good to go in GPS mode.
Well apparently DJI doesn't know how it works either.
Because all I'm doing is reporting EXACTLY what the Display is saying.

It does Home Point on EXACTLY 12 Sats every time, never with any less.
It says Poor/Weak GPS EVERY Time it is below 12 (regardless if it got above 12 or not).
It Displays Strong/Good GPS Every Time it gets above 12.
It varies between weak/good when it has exactly 12.

Watch the Video.

I agree, it seems pretty brain dead to me too.

People that don't have this drone with this firmware seem to have a lot of opinions on how this Drone works that they don't have.

Because all I'm doing is reporting EXACTLY what the Display is saying.
But with no understanding of GPS basics
It does Home Point on EXACTLY 12 Sats every time, never with any less.
That's just not true.
Post flight data if you want help
But try it somewhere the drone has a clear, unobstructed view of the whole sky from horizon to horizon.

People that don't have this drone with this firmware seem to have a lot of opinions on how this Drone works that they don't have.
Someone with no understanding of GPS basics, has no idea how flawed his interpretation of his understanding of what he's observing is.
If you want help, I've told you how to get it.

Your video isn't very helpful.
I've suggested several times that you need to post flight data if you want help.
But one thing that is immediately obvious from your video, is that you don't have the drone out in the open where it has a clear, unobstructed view of most of the sky.
It's on a building balcony with half the sky blocked by the building, which means approx half the potential sats not visible to the GPS receiver.
It does the same thing every where.
There is plenty enough open sky. And once it does "lock" it shouldn't keep losing it.
It worked perfectly fine from this spot before the update.
Other GPS devices work fine, even inside the house they work.

A log is useless. I'm not reading the log while I'm flying. But the apps communication, say's it's failing.
What is a log gonna tell you.

If it's good, and the UI says it's bad, it's broken.
If it's bad, then the firmware/hardware is defective.

A log is useless. I'm not reading the log while I'm flying. But the apps communication, say's it's failing.
What is a log gonna tell you.
Trying to help you is a complete waste of time.
You know very little, but imagine you know it all.
I give up.

There are three possibilities here, firmware, hardware or pilot error. Without the log file we will never know which it is. Good luck and fly safe.

Cheers!

Reactions: Meta4
There are three possibilities here, firmware, hardware or pilot error. Without the log file we will never know which it is. Good luck and fly safe.

Cheers!
Your right. ~20 pilots have reported this issue. So let’s rule out that one.

Yes, it’s hardware and firmware is trying to Bandaide the crappy GPS hardware by asking the hardware to wait for better accuracy. That takes time. Because the current hardware doesn’t get an accurate enough fix in the “normal” time expected.

It will always be either less accurate or slower than something like A2S. Take your pick.

Your right. ~20 pilots have reported this issue. So let’s rule out that one.

Yes, it’s hardware and firmware is trying to Bandaide the crappy GPS hardware by asking the hardware to wait for better accuracy. That takes time. Because the current hardware doesn’t get an accurate enough fix in the “normal” time expected.

It will always be either less accurate or slower than something like A2S. Take your pick.
It would be nice to see a log to confirm what's happening in the drone.
But someone here seems averse to looking at recorded data.

Hi @fiddlepilot

Please consider posting a flight log because I believe that it has to be a bug of some kind and some of the folks here will be able to see that within your flight data. I cant believe that out of the 20 or so pilots experiencing this horrible issue that not one has posted any logs either, if that's really the case?

Seems strange considering you could be the first to find a genuine bug which DJI should easily be able to fix.

It would be nice to see a log to confirm what's happening in the drone.
But someone here seems averse to looking at recorded data.
I’m not posting a log file because you’ll find another reason to call me an idiot.

I don’t need a log file to see what’s going on. And I don’t need one to make my decision to return it.

I really don’t give hoot what you find in it.

I’m not posting a log file because you’ll find another reason to call me an idiot.

I don’t need a log file to see what’s going on. And I don’t need one to make my decision to return it.

I really don’t give hoot what you find in it.
Like I said

• Haha
Hi

I think it is the change to the chinese satellite system.

As has been explained in this and other threads, it's not that simple.
Well, I have not seen a reasonable explanation yet. None of the other dji drones use that system and they all work well. Sometimes the simple answer is the right answer. I hope their nuclear missles use that satellite system. The world will be safer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna