DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 on order. Reconsidering

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a Mavic 3 Combo in shipment but am reconsidering. Why? One of the huge reasons I ordered it was because of the tele lens and camera. I enjoy finding wildlife in Alaska but have no interest in stressing them, thus even a moderate tele lens was a big deal to me. I do a lot of video work and was planning on shooting in 10bit log without question but now I have learned the tele lens will not allow you to shoot in 10bit log. Wow. Color grading a file, choosing a lut and all that is straight forward. What is not straight forward is really doing a good job of matching the color grading of one image to another image, particularly if you have tele footage that is not 10bit and want to color grade it over to your normal lens coloration. This makes the ability to shoot in 10bit horribly crippled. You can't even shoot in RAW with the Tele lens. Unbelievable to me. I watched dozens of videos in preparation to making this big investment (I'm not shooting professionally) and just came across one that laid out this limitation. Can't use waypoints either and apparently there is no plan to add them in the update. Just spouting off here. Can't decide if I'll cancel this and save some money with a 2s which has fine video abilities. I like the battery and quietness of the drone and that is probably why I will keep it. I will still get closer to a harem of moose without spooking them but sheesh....

That's the thing (IMO). On one hand you get one feature, but as soon as you use another feature you give up the former. The one thing that left me scratching my head was the clumsy way one had to switch to the 7x lens and then how functionally limited it is.

Also I can tell you that when I switched from the Mini 1 to the Mini 2 with the "new" controller, packing my gear changed altogether needing a larger case. The Mini 1 and Mavic 2 controllers are roughly the same size and were excellent in terms of features and portability. While DJI has definitely made some big improvements in some areas which might be important to some, but IMO have cut corners in other areas. The fact that the Mini 2, Air2, Air2s and the M3 all share the same controller tells me, especially with the price bump, that DJI is really trying to pack the margin column on the spreadsheet. They're entitled to do that and anything else they want. It's just up to the buyer to understand the benefits and limitations, especially when plopping down that much cash.

Can't use waypoints either and apparently there is no plan to add them in the update.
Really! I gotta have waypoints. If that comes way down the road, then I’m staying on the same path with my M2P.

Really! I gotta have waypoints. If that comes way down the road, then I’m staying on the same path with my M2P.
M2P has Litchi. On screen waypoints can't even compare to being able to create missions on the computer and check the topography with Google earth as you create the.

I have the M3 Cine and a standard M3. I think you are making a good decision doing a wait and see.

1. Lack of ambition in DJI declaring when they will have a SDK for this means no Litchi or Dronelink.
2. Some initial bugs including some concerning ones that seem DJI has some firmware work to do. (Not flying the cine until the jan update at least.)
3. Missing basic features for now and it is kind of annoying.

M2P has Litchi. On screen waypoints can't even compare to being able to create missions on the computer and check the topography with Google earth as you create the.
Yeah, I really need to get Litchi. Just been highly focused on other issues. I need preprogramming for some sky writing idea I have.

Reactions: GFields
I have a Mavic 3 Combo in shipment but am reconsidering. Why? One of the huge reasons I ordered it was because of the tele lens and camera. I enjoy finding wildlife in Alaska but have no interest in stressing them, thus even a moderate tele lens was a big deal to me. I do a lot of video work and was planning on shooting in 10bit log without question but now I have learned the tele lens will not allow you to shoot in 10bit log. Wow. Color grading a file, choosing a lut and all that is straight forward. What is not straight forward is really doing a good job of matching the color grading of one image to another image, particularly if you have tele footage that is not 10bit and want to color grade it over to your normal lens coloration. This makes the ability to shoot in 10bit horribly crippled. You can't even shoot in RAW with the Tele lens. Unbelievable to me. I watched dozens of videos in preparation to making this big investment (I'm not shooting professionally) and just came across one that laid out this limitation. Can't use waypoints either and apparently there is no plan to add them in the update. Just spouting off here. Can't decide if I'll cancel this and save some money with a 2s which has fine video abilities. I like the battery and quietness of the drone and that is probably why I will keep it. I will still get closer to a harem of moose without spooking them but sheesh....
Just get the M2Z, the camera is fine and the zoom is great for wildlife at half the cost.

If I get one and I do mean if, it won’t be until after the first of the year when everything is working correctly. I must say that I appreciate those who went ahead and bought one and for reporting this information

Also, I haven't really seen anything about an SDK release for the M3, just the firmware update to add the features they've been advertising. Look how long it's taking them to release the SDK for the MM2 and Air 2S. Who knows when the SDK for 3rd party apps will be released for the M3.

Yeah, I really need to get Litchi. Just been highly focused on other issues. I need preprogramming for some sky writing idea I have.
You will want to download the VLM app, somewhere on this forum, so you can do a virtual preview of the missions on your computer. It is a majorly cool feature of Litchi. Also an unsung feature is that you can get a $20-$30 set of VR goggles and fly FPV. Not a big investment for something you want to do once in awhile.

Just get the M2Z, the camera is fine and the zoom is great for wildlife at half the cost.
Ya know, you can buy a refurb M2Z for $1079, just a little more than the Air2s, though the Air2s has some features that the M2Z does not. What can the M2Z do that the Air2s cannot? Obviously the controller of the M2 is head and shoulders better than the Air2/Mini2/M3 one.

That's the thing (IMO). On one hand you get one feature, but as soon as you use another feature you give up the former. The one thing that left me scratching my head was the clumsy way one had to switch to the 7x lens and then how functionally limited it is.

Also I can tell you that when I switched from the Mini 1 to the Mini 2 with the "new" controller, packing my gear changed altogether needing a larger case. The Mini 1 and Mavic 2 controllers are roughly the same size and were excellent in terms of features and portability. While DJI has definitely made some big improvements in some areas which might be important to some, but IMO have cut corners in other areas. The fact that the Mini 2, Air2, Air2s and the M3 all share the same controller tells me, especially with the price bump, that DJI is really trying to pack the margin column on the spreadsheet. They're entitled to do that and anything else they want. It's just up to the buyer to understand the benefits and limitations, especially when plopping down that much cash.
I can agree with the controller point of view. Surprising to me they provide the same remote with the Mavic 3 that came with my Mini 2. With the Mini its a great upgrade from the Mini 1 but for a drone in the M3 class its a step backwards. Just the lack of a right hand wheel for zoom is a surprise. I get they want to sell the smart controller but there should an in between option more fitting of the price and capabilities.

I totally understand a lot of things they left out of this drone is astonishing it seems to me hate to say it but they just are all about making money now and not the quality of the product one of the main things that I can’t believe is they’re not using DJI GO 4 app it’s a much more professional app than the fly app and as far as the way points I don’t understand that hopefully it’s just badReporting and later on they’ll come out with white points when enough people complain, spouting off here myself because I’ve been waiting on this drone for a long time like everyone else and one more thing I haven’t heard of too many people on this site bragging or saying something great about this Drone seems to me if it was so great a lot of people would be saying that they can’t believe how awesome this drone is , that’s one reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet waiting to see really what’s going on with the Mavic three I have the Mavic one pro Mavic two pro phantom for pro and I find myself flying the first Mavic and my fan him more than I do the two pro,The videos I’ve seen though on the three really do look good though

I can agree with the controller point of view. Surprising to me they provide the same remote with the Mavic 3 that came with my Mini 2. With the Mini its a great upgrade from the Mini 1 but for a drone in the M3 class its a step backwards. Just the lack of a right hand wheel for zoom is a surprise. I get they want to sell the smart controller but there should an in between option more fitting of the price and capabilities.
I can understand a reasonable price bump because of the technology, inflation, increased shipping costs. But to put their cheapest controller in their most expensive drone that is supposed to be beyond prosumer, even in the base model in the current price points, in my mind they have crossed the line into gouging to those who have have relied on DJI throughout the years. Not even a loyalty discount available.

When I think about it further wondering why they didn't produce a better controller I began to focus on something I mentioned earlier. It might be that the DJI sales model could be 1/2 the sales of the M3 for double the margin... or more for the two upper packages. We know that the preponderance of sales will be in the FMC at $3000, $1000 more than the same kit with the M2P. What did changed between the M2 and M3 (exempting the cine package for now)? The camera, a few chips and programming with which they packed another $1000 of cost into it while downgrading the controller. Pure margin building. Add back in the SC, now $1200 up from the $700 ranges, but let's say $800. A 50% price boost there (while they are providing a downgraded standard controller)! I think their strategy is, if they were planning on selling 50% of the units they might have sold at a cheaper price they could really pack the margin while reducing COG and COL. JMO

And while capitalism reigns supreme and DJI can do whatever they want and people can buy whatever they want, I hope this opens the door for other companies to make and offer better products as DJI has just blown the lid off the price point which may previously have prevented other companies from participating in the marketplace.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend any other drone at the moment, incl. the Air2s.
After having some practical experience with the M3 I am completely sold on it.
Great flight and camera characteristics. The best drone for photography I ever knew, in addition to the stellar video.
Now, where is my hyperlapse feature? This beast was built for nighttime HL...

You will want to download the VLM app, somewhere on this forum, so you can do a virtual preview of the missions on your computer. It is a majorly cool feature of Litchi. Also an unsung feature is that you can get a $20-$30 set of VR goggles and fly FPV. Not a big investment for something you want to do once in awhile.

Ya know, you can buy a refurb M2Z for $1079, just a little more than the Air2s, though the Air2s has some features that the M2Z does not. What can the M2Z do that the Air2s cannot? Obviously the controller of the M2 is head and shoulders better than the Air2/Mini2/M3 one.
Disagree on the M2 controller,only because of the horrible crab claw mounting system for the phone,which was the
dumbest mount I have ever seen,info screen nice the rest garbage.
The new controller has already proven itself,and a lot of people like it,including me.

Disagree on the M2 controller,only because of the horrible crab claw mounting system for the phone,which was the
dumbest mount I have ever seen,info screen nice the rest garbage.
The new controller has already proven itself,and a lot of people like it,including me.
Sorry but I disagree. I have both style controllers. I like the 5d, C1/C2 buttons, the extra wheel. Separate buttons for video/photo start stop. LCD diplay. So you dislike the claw style? I like it. And if you think about it, the SC has the screen mounted on the bottom, just like the M2's controller, and not above like the Mini 2's. Just saying.

I totally understand a lot of things they left out of this drone is astonishing it seems to me hate to say it but they just are all about making money now and not the quality of the product one of the main things that I can’t believe is they’re not using DJI GO 4 app it’s a much more professional app than the fly app and as far as the way points I don’t understand that hopefully it’s just badReporting and later on they’ll come out with white points when enough people complain, spouting off here myself because I’ve been waiting on this drone for a long time like everyone else and one more thing I haven’t heard of too many people on this site bragging or saying something great about this Drone seems to me if it was so great a lot of people would be saying that they can’t believe how awesome this drone is , that’s one reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet waiting to see really what’s going on with the Mavic three I have the Mavic one pro Mavic two pro phantom for pro and I find myself flying the first Mavic and my fan him more than I do the two pro,The videos I’ve seen though on the three really do look good though
They are not saying anything because they are out there enjoying flying it,rather than whining about
what does not work on it.
Which by now all owners that have the M3 are or should be aware of the missing firmware updates.
By now the whining is starting to sound like a broken record.The M3 will be top of the line when it is
updated in Jan. And that's probably when I will order.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Sorry but I disagree. I have both style controllers. I like the 5d, C1/C2 buttons, the extra wheel. Separate buttons for video/photo start stop. LCD diplay. So you dislike the claw style? I like it. And if you think about it, the SC has the screen mounted on the bottom, just like the M2's controller, and not above like the Mini 2's. Just saying.
OK ,but the SC has the screen built in,and no crab claw mounts to deal with,so not even can compare.
Yes the screen is on the bottom but the whole controller is almost square shaped,which eliminates the
mounting system.
Have a good one

because of the horrible crab claw mounting system for the phone,which was the
dumbest mount I have ever seen!
couldn't agree more! It's not the position of the phone, it's the security... and the flip flop antennas are a PIA as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi