DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Battery Pinout

Piper J3

Reactions
Doses anyone know the electrical pinout for MA2 batteries? I want to measure individual cells and total battery voltage with a digital meter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 11.43.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 11.43.13 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 125
It's probably 1234 negative
Doses anyone know the electrical pinout for MA2 batteries? I want to measure individual cells and total battery voltage with a digital meter.

It's probably 1234 - negative; 56 - data; 7890 - positive. DJI's "smart batteries" take care of cell balancing on-board, I'm not aware of a way to do what you want to do with a digital meter. Note that I don't have a MA2 (I have an M2P), but it looks like they used the same format with the MA2.

Easy way to check with your voltmeter: Measure from pin 1 (neg) to each of pins 7,8,9,10 (pos). Repeat with pins 2, 3, and 4 (neg). If you see battery voltage each time, suspicions confirmed.

With my Smart Controller, I can display individual cell voltage, number of charge cycles, and all manner of other info, including the name and phone number w/picture, of the cute Chinese girl who assembled it. (Ok, I made that last part up).

Look on the back of the block charger and take note of the notch on the diagram and the layout of the charger board.

1234 neg
5 NC (data port?)
6 IO (data port?)
789 10 positive

Please note that your battery image is flipped upside down and your numbers may be backwards, so on your battery it would be

1234 POS
5 IO
6 NC
789 10 NEG.

Right, but does anybody know internal wiring to the individual cells? 1-7 cell #1, 2-8 cell #2, etc.

Something like this...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.53.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.53.01 AM.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 79
Right, but does anybody know internal wiring to the individual cells? 1-7 cell #1, 2-8 cell #2, etc.

Something like this...
Would I be wrong to point out that the cells should be wired in sequence not parallel?

Would I be wrong to point out that the cells should be wired in sequence not parallel?
“In series” not sequence. Then there wouldn’t be a pin out for each cell just 2 pins for the total voltage for the motors. I
”in series” not sequential. I’m assuming each motor needs to see the full battery potential of 3 cells total voltage.

DJI smart batteries do not provide direct external access to the batteries. Cell balance management is handled by the battery itself, not the external charger. The charger is basically a glorified power supply. If you can decide the data leads, then you can get the individual cell voltages just as the drone does.

Your wiring diagram is correct, except the plug you show connects to the management board in the battery. DJI typically uses Texas Instrument's BMS chips.

Correct - wired in series so 4.2 x 3 = 12.6. DJI may even be using the new high-voltage LiPo chemistry with 4.35V per cell.

It's quite possible that the cell balancing is done internally. That's pretty slick. The individual cell voltages would be presented on the data connectors for telemetry back to the controller. I'm thinking the four-positive and four-negative connectors are all 12V power leads and maybe four are needed to spread the amperage because the connectors are so small. When I get around to measuring the voltages this should all become clear...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llMUTTZZll