DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Close Call - Motor Unable to Rotate Incident

icecoldgin

Reactions
Just sharing the close call I had 5 days ago with my MA2.

Our area has a lot of wires slung across the street between lamp posts and about 15 ft in height. A prefect set up for a drone disaster if one is not careful. I learned that wires are evil when I previously crashed a cheap practice drone two years ago on such a wire and it fell to the ground, broke its arm and some lights.

On this occasion, I did an active track (trace) of my MTB ride and set the drone altitude to about 10 ft. The MA2 performed flawlessly, followed me through all the bends and turns and consistently zipped past below these evil wires. The obstacle avoidance also detected the lamp posts on the side as well as the leaves of trees that extended to the streets.

Unfortunately, near the tail end of my ride, I closed the active track function and I was flying the MA2 towards me when the drone ran smack into an evil wire. The obstacle avoidance sensor did not detect the wire. But it was really my fault for missing that wire and I should have flown the MA2 higher.

One of the props got caught in the wire and a motor unable to rotate message appeared on the Fly App (see picture). You could imagine the horror in my face at this time.

Luckily, I was able to disentangle the MA2 using the controls and when it was free, it did dip a little but then regained its bearings and hovered steadily. I then continued to do an active track for another 2km.

I inspected the drone after my ride and it has no scratches, nicks, or any other kind of damage.

A close call indeed. MA 2 is tough and made it through this incident unscathed Thumbswayup ;)

Attachments

• MA2 Motor Unable to Rotate Screenshot (2021Feb20).jpg
    MA2 Motor Unable to Rotate Screenshot (2021Feb20).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
That "continued for 2km AND THEN INSPECTED" was not the wisest order.
Inspecting and then continuing would have been better.
I agree. On hindsight you are right.

But since it was hovering well and stable despite the winds, I decided to test it out for a few km more.

Perhaps next time but hopefully no more next time. ;)

Great story.
Plus a good outcome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929