DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 in cold weather

I read the manual about the 32 degree min, but realistically, has anyone experienced significant flying or damage issues w/the MA2 in cold, dry weather below 32?

The MA2’s temperature range starts at -10°C (14°F), not 32°F.

It’s been discussed on the DJI forums and the moderators confirmed the manual is incorrect. The correct value is the one on the website.

Reactions: Jet skier
@prestonrich the main issue with cold weather flying is the battery, the chemical reaction is compromised by extreme cold and it tends to be worse the less amount of charge that is remaining in the battery,the battery needs to be reasonably warm for it to work properly thats why some batteries have a preheat arrangement built into the battery such as the enterprise version of the mavic and commercial drones ,the main things to remember in very cold conditions is be aware of the shortened flight time and not to let the battery remaining charge get very low ,and not to fly too far from home point

@prestonrich the main issue with cold weather flying is the battery, the chemical reaction is compromised by extreme cold and it tends to be worse the less amount of charge that is remaining in the battery,the battery needs to be reasonably warm for it to work properly thats why some batteries have a preheat arrangement built into the battery such as the enterprise version of the mavic and commercial drones ,the main things to remember in very cold conditions is be aware of the shortened flight time and not to let the battery remaining charge get very low ,and not to fly too far from home point

I'm not suggesting others do this but when I fly my FPV quads in the winter I warm my packs up before flying.

Reactions: old man mavic
yes it can be something as simple as keeping the battery close to your body in an inside pocket and only place it in the drone just before flight ,and as it discharges then it will get warm due to the chemical process taking place in the battery ,but even with all these things ,the flight time will be compromised ,and thats why i mentioned those things

Keep the batteries warm while you're not flying them and you'll be ok.

I tuck them under my several layers of clothing in the winter, next to the body... that keeps them reasonably warm, then pop them in and get flying as fast as possible so the drone will heat them once in the air. This will be my first winter experience with the Air2 but I expect its the same deal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone