DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 instruction wanted

halmc

Reactions
Still looking for MA2 instruction in North Florida. Willing to travel as well as pay for knowledgeable instruction on the MA2. I'm pretty competent with the basics but could sure use some face-to-face instruction. I'm in Tallahassee: have drone, will travel.

I understand the desire for a personal instructor. However, pretty sure they'll also tell you the best type of instruction is experience flying the aircraft. Find an open field, and get the drone in the air, and fly it. Find something interesting, a fence post, or use yourself as the target if nothing of interest is around you, and try hovering over it, slewing around it, and get your fingers trained on moving the sticks as smoothly as you can. The slew movement around an object is good as it requires using both sticks at the same time; slew clockwise, then try counter clockwise. Then practice also using the gimbal to keep the target centered while approaching and leaving the target. And when you have these two moves down, try slewing around the target while changing altitude and keeping the target centered as your drone climbs.

There's a reason a light plane pilot has to have 35-40 hours pilot in command time before they can apply for a license.

Last edited:
Still looking for MA2 instruction in North Florida. Willing to travel as well as pay for knowledgeable instruction on the MA2. I'm pretty competent with the basics but could sure use some face-to-face instruction. I'm in Tallahassee: have drone, will travel.
I live in Lake City FL, if you want to come by, I can help you out anytime.

I understand the desire for a personal instructor. However, pretty sure they'll also tell you the best type of instruction is experience flying the aircraft. Find an open field, and get the drone in the air, and fly it. Find something interesting, a fence post, or use yourself as the target if nothing of interest is around you, and try hovering over it, slewing around it, and get your fingers trained on moving the sticks as smoothly as you can. The slew movement around an object is good as it requires using both sticks at the same time; slew clockwise, then try counter clockwise. Then practice also using the gimbal to keep the target centered while approaching and leaving the target. And when you have these two moves down, try slewing around the target while changing altitude and keeping the target centered as your drone climbs.

There's a reason a light plane pilot has to have 35-40 hours pilot in command time before they can apply for a license.

Additionally it’s a great idea to become familiar with “Spotlight & Point of Interest” modes. Plenty of YouTube instructions out there. And while you’re at it try some “Quickshots”. You’ll be flying in no time!

All the above are right. I’ve got 300+ flights on the Spark under my belt and am very familiar with that craft but have had my lovely new MA2 in the air over the past three days trying everything out-Quickshots etc. One thing to watch with the YouTube vids, never forget the views expressed and the advice on settings etc is usually personal to the presenter. I have made a load of changes to the speed settings for yawing etc and it’s all not to my liking BUT it was watching those vids that got me looking at the detailed settings available so all good-I know where to make the changes. Good luck and safe flying.

There is so much good information above that this is going to be very redundant.
There are so many possibilities with the Air 2 that I would suggest limiting the duration of the flights, videoing the entire flight and always review. Compare your flights with what you enjoy in video's on you tube and this forum. I don't see the need for practicing quick shots as their only requirement is a subject and the proper amount of space, but smooth slow control movements require a lot of drill and attention to the screen along with the line of sight requirement. Make sure your altitude allows movement in all directions. The drone is doing the flying...you just have to put it in a safe spot and learn how to guide it.

Thanks guys. I'm already flying and flying a lot. I want to hone my skills with person to person instruction. That's how I learned to fly real airplanes and the way I prefer to learn the MA2. A local person has responded.

An afternoon with a generous member of this forum taught me more than reading every word ever published about the MA2 would have. Years ago when I learned to fly real airplanes I learned from the guy sitting to my left, not from reading the plane's owners manual.

Reactions: BSauce955
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98