DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 RC USB-C port for display device only one orientation (reversing USB-C does not work)?

maxpower

Reactions
I just tried a longer USB-C to lightning cable for my MA2 RC and at first it didn't work. When I reversed the USB-C side it worked. So then I tried the original short cable that came with the controller and same thing. In the original orientation it works, but when I reverse the USB-C side, it does not work. The lightning side to iPhone/iPadAir/iPadPro works both ways. I tired this many times and the USB-C only works one direction.

USB-C is suppose to be reversible like lightning. Unless DJI designed this USB-C to be one way only so that you are forced to put their cable only that way.

Does everyone's USB-C port behave the same or do I have a defective contorller?

Thanks.

OK, as long as that’s how it’s suppose to work then I’m fine with that. Just don’t like the idea that something may be wrong with the RC.

Check this page out for a detailed explanation of why this is the case:

Can you provide some more explanation here? I've read the linked article twice, and I don't see why it would only work one way. The article specifically mentioned that there are 2 configuration channels with only 1 wire, allowing the devices to know which side of the cable is "up". That's the whole reason it should be reversible (or "flippable" really) Perhaps I'm not understanding the article, but I can't find anything there that would dictate anything differently.

I don't recall having an issue in any other (non-DJI) device which direction the USB-C side was in. If it is like this for all controllers, I think DJI did something that was not to standard. I'll see if I can remember to test mine next time out.

The issue is the handling of upstream and downstream connections. Something in the DJI hardware is not properly responding or transmitting its status. Either the dron3 or the rc should be designated as upstream, and the other as downstream, and needs to respond accordingly. Something in That chain is not right. It is probably true for all ma2s.

I just tried a longer USB-C to lightning cable for my MA2 RC and at first it didn't work. When I reversed the USB-C side it worked. So then I tried the original short cable that came with the controller and same thing. In the original orientation it works, but when I reverse the USB-C side, it does not work. The lightning side to iPhone/iPadAir/iPadPro works both ways. I tired this many times and the USB-C only works one direction.

USB-C is suppose to be reversible like lightning. Unless DJI designed this USB-C to be one way only so that you are forced to put their cable only that way.

Does everyone's USB-C port behave the same or do I have a defective contorller?

Thanks.

UPDATE:

I now have a Mini2 so I tried all the USB-C//Lightning cables I have on the Mini2 controller and they all work flawlessly as the intended design of the USB-C connector (including the cable that came with the MavicAir2). They work in both orientations on both sides, USB-C and Lightning.

I believe it is most likely that the USB-C port on my Mavic Air 2 controller is damaged in that one orientation.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54