DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Splashed by Massive Wave

Pilot Zeg

Reactions
Hey lads,

Was doing some risky flying above waves capturing cool photos and a huge wave crashed right below where my drone was and splashed it pretty bad (check out the pic). Nothing affected her flying ability, but the gimbal immediately started to malfunction by jerking to the left and right (I thought I was crash landing) and the DJI Fly app displayed "gimbal motor overloaded" and "gimbal stuck". So the gimbal copped the brunt of the splash.

Went home, dried [Language Edited by ADMIN] her and washed with fresh water, but the gimbal is still saying it is overloaded or stuck. Camera still works fine - auto exposure, capturing pic/vid all good.

What I'm wondering is do I need to fork out $300+ on a new camera and gimbal replacement, or can I just buy a gimbal motor which costs ~$40 and just repair that? Also if anyone has experience repairing the gimbal/gimbal camera, would love to know how difficult it is. Have checked YouTube already but would like to hear from you guys.

DJI_0448.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely the Water got to the ESC module , and the problem with that is that you most likely will need a new board .
Not sure about the damage to the drone in the crash..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and get splashed by waves .

file 5.jpg

Last edited:
I have to disagree with post #2. I've had this problem with water, but not salt water messing up my gimbal motors. I have done both of the things you want to do. I bought a new camera with gimbal board and motors and evrything worked again. I also just bought a gimbal board and motors with no camera and put my old camera inside the ne motor/gimbal board harness and that worked too. But, that was a pain in the butt. Over the years I have had lots of gimbal and camera problems. Each Time it was the gimbal motors. the main gimbal board or a cable. If it sounds like a horse, it usually is. Don't expect a zebra. Of course, it's not impossible to see a zebra.

I have to disagree with post #2. I've had this problem with water, but not salt water messing up my gimbal motors. I have done both of the things you want to do. I bought a new camera with gimbal board and motors and evrything worked again. I also just bought a gimbal board and motors with no camera and put my old camera inside the ne motor/gimbal board harness and that worked too. But, that was a pain in the butt. Over the years I have had lots of gimbal and camera problems. Each Time it was the gimbal motors. the main gimbal board or a cable. If it sounds like a horse, it usually is. Don't expect a zebra. Of course, it's not impossible to see a zebra.
Hey mate thanks for the reply. Just wondering if you can tell me if there is any way to determine what is damaged when I pull apart the camera and gimbal? Also you may know what I need by this symptom: when I power on, the camera kinda just wobbles sadly every second and then stops and stays still after like 10 seconds.

there are a lot of different products I’m unsure as to what to get.. and does anyone know if MA2 parts are the same as MA2S?? In regards to gimbal parts ?

Attachments

• 95C21733-7B99-4B58-B801-9C03F0E0F945.jpeg
    95C21733-7B99-4B58-B801-9C03F0E0F945.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 16
Getting my drone drenched would give me the hump, so it’s probably actually a camel …….. ???????

Hey mate thanks for the reply. Just wondering if you can tell me if there is any way to determine what is damaged when I pull apart the camera and gimbal? Also you may know what I need by this symptom: when I power on, the camera kinda just wobbles sadly every second and then stops and stays still after like 10 seconds.

there are a lot of different products I’m unsure as to what to get.. and does anyone know if MA2 parts are the same as MA2S?? In regards to gimbal parts ?
Regarding the camera and gimbal, the MA2 and A2S are not compatible. The best way to test your camera is to use a working camera and gimbal. If you know anybody with your aircraft version, that would be great. Or, you could always buy a new aircraft and switch the cameras and see if the new one works. If it does, you would know it's just the camera/gimbal or motors. Then, switch the cameras back and return the new drone for a refund. Buy it locally, and return it within the 30 day window. If you can't buy locally, use the internet, just make sure they allow returns. Just do the test and rebox the new drone and send it back. The sellers won't know that you temporarily switched cameras for a few minutes. After what I've been through and the lies and scams some repair centers tried to pull on me, I would definitely recommend the temporary camera switch test.

I once had a Mavic 2 Pro with a bad gimbal motor. It did the same thinng your drone is experiencinng. Bounced or jiggled around then went dead. They took my entire drone apart and cracked the shell, then said I needed a brand new internal mother board. I denied the repair, had them return it to me, bought a new camera and gimbal and all worked fine. These drone repair places can be similar to those scamming car repair shops.

• Angry
Reactions: slozukimc
Salt water is very Bad..
I would not try to mess with it.
Go..check all pcb prints .
Salt attact the lines
And could easy work ok niw as latet hhe bird cojl drop from the sky as yoh will supprise.
Fresh water dk nit attact so mach and mostely if open and dry the PCB will b ok.
You take a big chanse with salt water.
Tx
Guy

Reactions: pommy and AZDave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan