DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mac users? Photo viewing app

reaperman

Reactions
I recently upgraded my desktop computer to the new M1 Mac mini. Im coming from years of using a pc, this is my first Mac. My first impression is viewing photos/videos from a sd card via Mac isn't nearly as user friendly or as easy as using a pc. The sd card is opened in the "preview" app by default. There are no arrows to navigate between photos, the keyboard arrows must be used instead. There are no right mouse clicks to save photos etc. Am I doing something wrong, I know Apple sometimes makes what should be easy tasks difficult. There has to be better software to simply view photos and videos. I don't need some fancy video editing software package, Im basically looking for a simple program or app to do the job. Any ideas? Thanks

Reactions: E90RAW
Just went from Windows to a iMac about 3 years ago and your having the same issue I did. Haveing a hard time with the learning curve. They are as different as night and day . I’m still having a hard time figuring out some stuff but you will love it I would never go back. It takes some time but you will get it.
JMO

I recently upgraded my desktop computer to the new M1 Mac mini. Im coming from years of using a pc, this is my first Mac. My first impression is viewing photos/videos from a sd card via Mac isn't nearly as user friendly or as easy as using a pc. The sd card is opened in the "preview" app by default. There are no arrows to navigate between photos, the keyboard arrows must be used instead. There are no right mouse clicks to save photos etc. Am I doing something wrong, I know Apple sometimes makes what should be easy tasks difficult. There has to be better software to simply view photos and videos. I don't need some fancy video editing software package, Im basically looking for a simple program or app to do the job. Any ideas? Thanks
If you select all of the images in Finder and then press the space bar, you will get arrow buttons at the upper left of the Preview window to let you navigate from one image to another. The right-click to save isn't really a thing for Preview, you are usually launching it from Finder and you have the ability to move and copy files from Finder itself.

If you are looking for an app that closer to what you would use with Windows, take a look at XnView MP. It's more or less the same on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Take a look at this post on Make Use Of for a list of image viewers for the Mac.

Just use iPhoto for import and for video editing use iMovie. Works easy. Came installed on your computer.

Reactions: E90RAW and dirkclod
I use Photoscape X which is free from the app store (you can pay for upgrades). Works great as a viewer (and editor) without having to import like Photos.

Just use iPhoto for import and for video editing use iMovie. Works easy. Came installed on your computer.
I photo is now just called photos and yeah I have a Mac and just by default I thought photos went right to the photos app, very easy

Actually it is Photos (iPhotos no longer provided) now and it is an excellent viewer. One can easily select and discard the “duds”. Backup to iCloud is automatic if you so wish.

Just went from Windows to a iMac about 3 years ago and your having the same issue I did. Haveing a hard time with the learning curve. They are as different as night and day . I’m still having a hard time figuring out some stuff but you will love it I would never go back. It takes some time but you will get it.
JMO
Yes the MAC takes a little getting used to after windows. The one thing I learned quickly is whatever window/photo you have open, the tool bar at the top of screen corresponds to the open window. The tool bar is not visible until you roll the mouse up to it at top of screen. Then you will see all the functions that control the open window. Hope that helps.

Actually it is Photos (iPhotos no longer provided) now and it is an excellent viewer. One can easily select and discard the “duds”. Backup to iCloud is automatic if you so wish.
I wish I could download the photos from the cloud easily to my imac.

Thanks guys, I have a bit of homework to do. I like the computer its just different. The majority of the photos I look at are trail camera photos. Some of my cameras will have as many as 1000 photos/week. So I basically scan over large thumbnails and 99.0% will get deleted right away. Once I get a default program setup I'm sure things will get easier.

I currently don't have a drone, I sold my last one. I'm leaning towards the mini 2, I bought my son in law the mini 1 two years ago for xmas when it first came out. I was impressed with the photo and video quality of the little drone. The only thing preventing me from picking one up now is old man winter is alive and well in Minnesota. When I finally pull the trigger I'm looking forward to viewing its videos with my new computer.

I have an iMac 27 inch. I was a Dell/PC user for many, many years. Nothing but trouble, viruses, service calls, etc. The MAC is wonderful and I Loooove it.

Here is how I handle my drone SD card. I remove the SD card from the Mavic 2 Pro. I insert it into the card reader on the back of the iMAC. The DCM icon appears on the screen. I open it and get the file and drag the file to the desktop where it loads the file.

Once the file is on the desktop, I RIGHT click on the folder, and it will ask me how I want to open the file. I choose Photoshop CC 2020. The entire file opens in Photoshop. Then I open ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and all of the files are open in camera raw. I can then edit them as I see fit. Here is a screen shot example;Screen shot Tanzania.jpg
Dale
Miami

I use Photoscape X which is free from the app store (you can pay for upgrades). Works great as a viewer (and editor) without having to import like Photos.
I got Photoscape X, thank you very much. Its much more what I was used to and has a ton of features. I can't believe its a free app. Between this and all of the above advice, I thank everyone for their input. All of these little things help me out.

Reactions: rh22222 and E90RAW
I wish I could download the photos from the cloud easily to my imac.
Sign into your iCloud account on your browser, got to photos, select what you want then download. I back mine up all the time that way since I have the free account and don't have much storage.

Sign into your iCloud account on your browser, got to photos, select what you want then download. I back mine up all the time that way since I have the free account and don't have much storage.
Why didnt I think of that???!!!(rhetorical). Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair