DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Macic 3 Classic - low sharpness

soulriwer

Reactions
Hello,

I recently purchased Mavic 3 Classic to replace my Air 2s. Mavic 3 Classic has a larger sensor and it would seem that it should give a better picture, but I was immediately very disappointed in the quality of the picture. My Air 2s produced much sharper video.
I am attaching a link with samples of photos and videos in original quality. Please check their quality, especially the low sharpness.
samples
Is this normal for Mavic 3 or did I buy a faulty device? I'm completely confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy
Hello,

I recently purchased Mavic 3 Classic to replace my Air 2s. Mavic 3 Classic has a larger sensor and it would seem that it should give a better picture, but I was immediately very disappointed in the quality of the picture. My Air 2s produced much sharper video.
I am attaching a link with samples of photos and videos in original quality. Please check their quality, especially the low sharpness.
samples
Is this normal for Mavic 3 or did I buy a faulty device? I'm completely confused.
The video was shot in low light as were many of the pictures you took .
There is not doubt that the pictures coming straight out of the Mavic 3 are not as refined as the Air 2S .
But just few tweaks in the settings are your up an running, I dont see anything wrong with your Mavic 3 Classic except that your shooting in low light with a broad focus .

Take a minute to fly in front of some tree leaves and really see what your camera is doing and I think you will find them very close .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: michaeldallen1
The video was shot in low light as were many of the pictures you took .
There is not doubt that the pictures coming straight out of the Mavic 3 are not as refined as the Air 2S .
But just few tweaks in the settings are your up an running, I dont see anything wrong with your Mavic 3 Classic except that your shooting in low light with a broad focus .

Take a minute to fly in front of some tree leaves and really see what your camera is doing and I think you will find them very close .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
Thanks for the answer.
For example, this photo was taken in excellent lighting, but in my opinion it is not sharp enough. At least compared to what I received on Air 2s.

Reactions: mobilehomer
The problem is that photo , its not a good photo to judge if there is something wrong with the camera , and it does not appear to be.

Here is quick video of how I check my camera very quickly on zoom and in the sun and horizon.

this is also where I learned 2K put out the most clean video .
Please shoot like this first so you know your camera is working correctly on many levels.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the water.

Hello,

samples
After my recent purchase of a Mini 4 Pro with bad flare and in consideration of the many different complaints I have heard I have come to the reasonable conclusion that it's quite likely your problem and many other such complaints is due to simple sample variations. With any manufacturing process, including camera lenses, very small differences in lens alignment, the quality of the glass or plastic and myriad other considerations result in variations from one sample to the next, hence the entire concept of Quality Control and I'll bet dollars to donuts you simply have a less-than-excellent sample. I returned my Mini 4 Pro with terrible lens flare and am hoping for a better example. In older posts I recall a person exclaiming how sharp my 7x tele was on my Mavic 3 and wondering what post processing sharpening I had done. None. His lens was not nearly as sharp as mine. It happens. If you're not past the 14 days...consider returning it and repurchasing.

Last edited:
After my recent purchase of a Mini 4 Pro with bad flare and in consideration of the many different complaints I have heard I have come to the reasonable conclusion that it's quite likely your problem and many other such complaints is due to simple sample variations. With any manufacturing process, including camera lenses, very small differences in lens alignment, the quality of the glass or plastic and myriad other considerations result in variations from one sample to the next, hence the entire concept of Quality Control and I'll bet dollars to donuts you simply have a less-than-excellent sample. I returned my Mini 4 Pro with terrible lens flare and am hoping for a better example. In older posts I recall a person exclaiming how sharp my 7x tele was on my Mavic 3 and wondering what post processing sharpening I had done. None. His lens was not nearly as sharp as mine. It happens. If you're not past the 14 days...consider returning it and repurchasing.
Thank you very much for your answer, I would like to get as many opinions as possible on the sample that I provided. Is there still a problem here or not?

Last edited:
Hello,

samples
I looked at the first three jpgs and after zooming as much as I could saw nice sharp detail. I would be pleased with that result.

Your camera is probably fine.
But it's not possible to tell anything about sharpness from those examples.
They are all very distant, soft, treed landscapes.
If you want to see what your image quality is like, photograph something with hard detail, much closer to the camera and in good light.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Here's a shot I just took with my M3C. I don't have a problem with the sharpness especially since I reduced it to a 5X3 to post it here.

Drone 10-0-23.jpg

Reactions: Hemi
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a mavic 3 classic for use mainly in video. After several tests, I'm quite disappointed with the image quality that the drone gives me. The image doesn't seem very sharp or detailed.
I've already tried filming with the best aperture, the best ISO value, exposing the DLOG in different ways, but the problem persists...
After doing a bit of research, I found out that there were lens problems on some models of the mavic 3: I don't know if I'm affected by this problem or if the quality is 'normal' for a mavic 3... I'd like an outside opinion on the matter (perhaps from someone who has already had this problem?). I'm posting some footage that I was able to film with the drone (5k or 4k iso 400 DLOG converted to REC 709 without additional sharpness):

I checked it out on my Wide Screen and the Projector and it looks amazing to me. Maybe need some better skills in regards to some smoother footage and you were moving the gimbal for the most part of the video.

You even managed to catch a single Rain Drop in the Sky,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Pouring Rain.

Last edited:
I checked it out on my Wide Screen and the Projector and it looks amazing to me. Maybe need some better skills in regards to some smoother footage and you were always moving the gimbal for the most part of the video.

You even managed to catch a single Rain Drop in the Sky,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Pouring Rain.
Thank you so much for your reply!
I'm pretty reassured if the image quality is normal ;)
I've still got a lot to learn, especially about camera management ;)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
People say that most professional cameras are not sharp and are expected to improve sharpness in post-processing.

Having bought a Mavic 3 after an Air 2s, I still don’t understand why I don’t get a sharp photo out of the box and what the advantage of this approach is.

Air 2s gives a sharp photo right away; it is quite difficult to achieve the same result with post-processing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne