DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAD HORNET

Rchawks

Reactions
So I thought I'd cycle down a couple of batteries in the living room to get off the 100 % side and all was well, UNTIL I picked it up while it was idling.
Oh man what a mistake that was, it jumped to full throttle and I got distinct feeling it was alive live a mad hornet. Next thing I knew it took a bite out of my index finger, and that really got my attention. I held it down on the floor to reach over to pick up the transmitter and finally got it under control. The only reason I picked it up was to help my wife for a minute in the kitchen and I wanted it out of the middle of the floor. It seemed to go crazy when I tried to set on on top of a black footstool. I guess to color is what set it off, I don't know. Anyway fun evening.

It was trying to maintain position where it was.... you picking it up was like a big gust of wind and it was attempting to compensate.

Sorry you were injured and had a bit of a scare. If you're going to run the engines in the house, take off the props. Safe flying.

Reactions: Bobvt and Rockycat
I had the guards on, it drew blood I'm just glad it wasn't a larger drone. I'll be more aware of the prop entry point from here on.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the equipment. I'm new to the game but did positional astronomy (for determination of precise lat, long and azimuth) as a student land surveyor. I knew all my stars then! I took sun shots for azimuth afterwards when working in the Middle East setting out dead straight (hopefully) seismic lines across the desert. GPS did away with all that fun stuff! Anyway, I'll have more time on my hands and this will be an open-ended hobby for me.

Reactions: nneB
Really looking forward to getting my hands on the equipment. I'm new to the game but did positional astronomy (for determination of precise lat, long and azimuth) as a student land surveyor. I knew all my stars then! I took sun shots for azimuth afterwards when working in the Middle East setting out dead straight (hopefully) seismic lines across the desert. GPS did away with all that fun stuff! Anyway, I'll have more time on my hands and this will be an open-ended hobby for me.

Huh?

Doesn’t the mini shut off if you turn it on its side while running? Like the other Mavics. I’ve just never tried it.

Reactions: Nd33
When I was struggling with mine and happened to turned it on it's side it didn't slow down at all. That's why I compared it to a mad hornet, scared to heck out of me. So much to learn, and so easy to make mistakes. I love it, it will be a challenge. Something new to learn. To emcgov have you already ordered a drone?

Last edited:
For Future Reference, if you have to the grab the MM for any reason while the motors are running flip it upside down really fast it will shut down automatically. This is very helpful for when flying over beaches or areas you don't wanna set the MM down on when the motors are turning due to sand or debris, if you don't have a neck strap for your RC and are hand launching and hand landing (be very carful) "I recommend mechanics* gloves or something to protect your fingers in case your hand slips or you grab it in the wrong spot, but simply flip upside down and it shuts down.

Reactions: Capt KO and Rchawks
If you're going to run the engines in the house, take off the props. Safe flying.
Not sure why I keep seeing people say to run motors with props off, and not sure why anyone would ever need or want to run the motors with the props off. Running with the props off does not allow for any cooling of the motors via the downward moving air being forced into them.

Not sure why I keep seeing people say to run motors with props off, and not sure why anyone would ever need or want to run the motors with the props off. Running with the props off does not allow for any cooling of the motors via the downward moving air being forced into them.
It was a joke

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e