DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic Inteference, any ideas on possible causes

nwhessian

Reactions
Hi
Would be nice to get back in the air with my Mavic Pro and i recently found this forum.
I will fill you in below on the history of my issue.

Flying the drone in Thailand over a lake from a narrow jetty made of concrete.
Had no problems with calibration and set off.
Im fairly new to flying which is the main reason for the crash.
I took off and flew up fairly high but was immediately warned of high winds, not fly with care but land immediately was the message.
I brought the drone back down to me and realised just how much it was struggling in the wind.
The design of the jetty meant I had put myself in a difficult place to land, and another major mistake was to set off with a partially used battery even though i had full ones in my bag.
I spent a few grey hair causing minutes trying to wrestle it down, being a newby i did not realise that my forward sensors would be causing me issues due to the steep angle the drone was needing to fly at.
I also had not delved into sport mode yet which would of helped, the sensors were seeing the jetty and the hand rails either side i epxpect and so would not come down the last meter or so to land.
Because of my novice abilities i found that it could only fly against this strong wind with any control when i had it sideways into the wind. Which was really due to the sensors now not seeing the jetty.
Eventually the low battery starts bleeping and panic sets in, still wrestled it around for a while before it gusted off over another possible landing area.
I tried to bring it down there but still the same problem.
Eventually the drone must of kicked into return to home and taken over, it flew back to my position but I was so worried it would gust off again and being surrounded by water i tried a swipe with my hand to knock it out of the air.
Lucky for me it then fell into the water but onto some large lily pads. Slightly wet around the gimble area but jumped in and got it out before it got any worse.
Dried the drone out in a massive pot of rice for 2 days.
On trying to use it again it had some gimble issues at first and one rotor not spinning. The gimble problem was similar to the one ive seen spoken about where the camera flips up and down wildly on switch on.
The gimble issue seemed to sort itself out but the rear rotor was dead, not even the slight movement on switch on.
Brought this drone back home, ordered a new rear rotor hoping that would be a simple fix.
The rear rotor switch did not solve it, i was getting an ESC error so i then replaced the ESC board.
Now i had the rotors moving on switch on and was very hopefull of a success.
But im now stuck at magnetic interference, fails calibration on all sorts of surfaces.
Would anyone know if theres something else major i have missed that could cause the magnetic interference.
I updated the mavic firmware back in thailand before christmas when i was trying to get the rear rotor going, im using an iphone 7s plus and everything else is just standard obviously apoart from the parts i have changed but each part the rotor and the ESC board were supposedly genuine DJI parts.
Really my main question is are magnetic interference problems ever just software/firmware or would this definately mean i still have possible problems with damaged hardware from the crash or water ingress.
Or is there a process I should be doing being as I have replaced that ESC board?.
Hope someone can help, ive gone a long way with this and start to think it would have been easier to send it back to DJI.

Thanks
Neil

Thanks rick, i washoping from the way i described how i damaged the drone that i was in no way claiming to be a top pilot.
The magnetic inteference issue is what i am experiencing now back in the uk after hoping i had repaired the drone and not the issue that caused the crash. The crash was caused by novice knowledge of the features of the drone and hitting the drone from the air with my hand.
Happy to admit that.
Thanks
Neil

Hey Neil, and welcome to the forum dude, they are usually friendly and with lots of good advice but occasionally you will bump into the grumpy ones lol.

That was a hell of a story! Sucks that you have this trouble now but I am sure someone will be able to give you some good advice on how to sort this issue out. I would think @Thunderdrones would be a good place to start.

Hope you get your bird back into the air soon!
Pz

Edit: You cant say H E L L on these forums?

Thanks point zero, was a bit of a novel to read but thought it best i explain the way i initially damaged the thing.
I have a funny picture of my worried face as i try to work out why i cant land the drone!.
Im pretty good with soldering ( used to bemy job years ago) so im confident in the repair work, just unsure if theres something ive missed.
Glad i found this forum and like minded droners but really miss the flying time!.

But im now stuck at magnetic interference, fails calibration on all sorts of surfaces.
Would anyone know if theres something else major i have missed that could cause the magnetic interference.
A persistent compass error and failure to calibrate is usually a sign of a disconnected compass.
Go into the app settings, find the Sensors area and see what it's telling you about the compass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne