DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maiden flight - checklist and flight plan :-)

javelina

Reactions
Ok, so tomorrow (Saturday), I'm ready for my maiden flight. Here's my high level check list completed to date:

- Registered with the FAA - check

- affixed the FAA registry and my contact info onto my MP - check

- Read the manual(s) at least twice - check

- updated the firmware (bird and RC): 1.04.0000 - check

- installed DJI 4 Go app: 4.1.20 - check

- Using an iPad Pro with IOS 11.2.1 (and an Apple lightning cable) - check

- have calibrated the IMU and Gimbal - check

- flown the DJI simulator - check - (plus, I have lots of R/C aircraft flight time in the real world)

- flown the DJI simulator with just using the RC joysticks, multiple times - check

- have the Mavic Pro set to beginner's mode - check

- have set the RTH to 20 meters height, (where I'm flying in the desert, there are no obstacles).

- I have the website and will submit an alert to the local Airport that I'll be flying at this approx. location, and the approx time. (I live within 5 miles of Phoenix-Gateway)

While at the test field tomorrow:

- take off the Gimbal lock and cover

- Perform the Compass calibration. (I have too much Mag Interference at my home to do this)

- Fire up the RC, then the bird, let them bind. Then fire up the iPad Pro and DJI 4 Go app

- Make sure I have the GPS/Satellite locks...

- take a deep breath, then initiate the takeoff using the RC joy sticks

- practice flying and enjoy.... (figure eights, squares, landings and TO's)

Sound good?

Ok, so tomorrow (Saturday), I'm ready for my maiden flight. Here's my high level check list completed to date:

- flown the DJI simulator - check - (plus, I have lots of R/C aircraft flight time in the real world)

- flown the DJI simulator with just using the RC joysticks, multiple times - check

- have set the RTH to 20 meters height, (where I'm flying in the desert, there are no obstacles).

- I have the website and will submit an alert to the local Airport that I'll be flying at this approx. location, and the approx time. (I live within 5 miles of Phoenix-Gateway)

- Perform the Compass calibration. (I have too much Mag Interference at my home to do this)

- Fire up the RC, then the bird, let them bind. Then fire up the iPad Pro and DJI 4 Go app

Sound good?
Sounds pretty much like everything that I did with my ne exception, I used the auto takeoff function. Your previous RC flying experience will kick in once you are airborne. Flying figure 8’s will get you used to the bird real quick. I also conditioned myself to think 'red lights reversi' to help with orientation when flying towards myself. I am now a four flight veteran, Yay!

First try flying it around your living room for a while, just until you get the hang of it. Video everything. Then try it blindfolded ===> USE THE FORCE!

(sadly, I probably need to add "JUST KIDDING" for liability purposes)

First try flying it around your living room for a while, just until you get the hang of it. Video everything. Then try it blindfolded ===> USE THE FORCE!

(sadly, I probably need to add "JUST KIDDING" for liability purposes)

Ha! nice! :)

Sound good?
Sounds like you did your homework. You should be fine, especially with your previous RC time.

Good luck and go have some fun!

Reactions: Drjim
Look at the info screen that comes up and make sure everything is good to go.

If you are in a wide open area don't worry about spending too much time in beginner mode. Get it out a couple hundred feet and practice with the RTH (assuming you set the return height higher than anything around you). Cancel the RTH before it lands and practice manual landings.

Play with the pause button. You can use it to cancel RTH or any of the autonomous flight modes. Also be familiar with sport mode. If you ever get in a situation where the MP can't overcome the wind or is hovering because the sun is tricking the obstacle avoidance, sport mode will get you back.

Once you start taking it out any amount of distance always have a landing sight in mind in case something goes wrong.

theres really nothing you can do wrong with these things; be sure you get GPS and a RTH, be in a open area and have fun.

Reactions: ThePaulius
theres really nothing you can do wrong with these things; be sure you get GPS and a RTH, be in a open area and have fun.

I have a friend with a MP that thinks the same thing. He has no idea what to do if he gets in trouble. Most of his flying is over the lake he lives on. Just a matter of time before it's in the drink. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Well my first flight was a success! managed to tool around a nice large, empty parking lot. Flew her till about 30% and then landed. When I got home, my second battery that I ordered was waiting for me. Dang, too bad it didn't come earlier. Any rate, I'll be going out tomorrow, (still in beginner's mode), until I get the "edge" off from flying a new expensive toy. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead