DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maiden Flight (M2P)

FlyingHevy

Reactions
I got my Mavic 2 Pro on Saturday (thanks, @djidroneservice, for working up just what I needed and for shipping it out so quickly). I didn't fly it because I can't fly at home (within 5 miles of an airport in class D airspace). I read more, watched videos, and used Kittyhawk and Airmap to find a local non-state park in which I could fly. I also applied for authorization to fly at my house on dronezone (that process was easier than I thought it would be to fill in the application). I found a park about ten minutes from me, outside the blue circle, and went there yesterday. But it wasn't a park, really. Well, it's a park, but not one with open spaces. Trails. Lots of trails. The parking lot was smaller than my (pretty small) driveway, and was mud. Trees surrounded it. Nope. No way. Huh uh. I noped right out of there and went home.

This morning, I looked again and found another park. This time I used google satellite to make sure it had a solid parking lot and space. It does. Excellent. Decided I'd go around 11am. Then, at 8:30 this morning, I got my FAA Airspace Authorization! So I finished up what I was working on and went into the back yard and up I went.

And I have no idea what I'm doing. That thing flies so beautifully. Winds today are between 3-6 with gusts up to 17 on the ground. Even at 98 feet (I stayed in beginner mode, especially because I haven't yet put in my own altitude ceiling, and I'm only authorized to go to 100ft where I live), it just stayed there, the props sometimes spinning up as wind hit it. It was awesome. But man I have more to figure out. It beeped at me. A lot. No idea what those beeps mean. Will have to figure that out. Didn't mess with anything other than up and down and a little back and forth here and there. Tried to send it through a hole in some tree branches down near the ground (the hole is about 10' in diameter, I'd say), but it didn't want to go. I didn't make it. Nice clearing on the other side I'd like to explore, but that's for another day.

So that's my maiden flight. Photo below is me.

I can't wait to learn more and to fly more.

Thanks for all the encouragement and hints/tips/tricks/learnings you all share here. It's a wonderful resource.

DJI_0005.JPG
DJI_0003.JPG

Cool -- have fun! And be careful.

The beeping was likely obstacle detection, just either close to the ground or not far enough away from your deck railings or house. If so, there should be blinking in DJI go, showing up with bars what detection are firing (bottom, front, sides, etc.). Also note the obstacle detection icon on top -- side detection isn't on for all modes, so it might be normal for the side bars on that icon to be red. Hover in place and change the slider on the RC right side to "Tripod" mode, then you will see the side bars turn green.

Chris

Congratulations on your maiden flight. I remember my first flight because I was excited but a bit nervous as well. Just go slow and take time to build up your experience and confidence.

I took a break in the middle of my work day, I log into the forum and read the OP’s post, and can absolutely feel the excitement. My first Mavic flight was only a couple months ago, so I’m already checking UAV Forecast app for some flying this afternoon.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: FlyingHevy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929