DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Managing batteries

yes, and it's fine. I don't see the need to buy anything else.

To be honest if you are worried about starting a fire overnight, I would not consider a car charger
Not that worried... But LiPo can be real bitches.

A surprising thing to me, is how little some of you fly, that your batteries are draining down while sitting. Just fly more regularly, and no more issue. It is a slow week if I only fly through my three batteries, being charged up four times each. That is a mere twelve flights in an entire week, which isn't much.
I would like to fly more but I’m new And careful and I also have to deal with things like work, girlfriend, wind. You know, that sort of things...

Can you please calculate the results with 3 stock charger's or is that the real secret? Asking for a friend.
Assuming you have three batteries then it would just be the time to charge up one battery which is like 30-45 mins or so from 60%. The bad part about lipos is it takes way more time to charge the second 50% then it does to charge the first 50%.

If you take them out of the charger, do they still automatically discharge? I’ve been considering stepping up from a MM to an Air 2 but this battery issue is making me hesitant. The MM uses Li-Ion and they don’t discharge as quick among other things.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Could they just not afford to include good quality batteries with the Air 2?
Does the aftermarket have good batteries for sale that fit it?

If you take them out of the charger, do they still automatically discharge? I’ve been considering stepping up from a MM to an Air 2 but this battery issue is making me hesitant. The MM uses Li-Ion and they don’t discharge as quick among other things.
What “battery issue”? They are intelligent and look after themselves - what more could you ask for?

Yes, they automatically discharge no matter if they are in the charger or not.

Thanks for the information dawgpilot. According to InvisibleName it’s a non issue. I’m just accustomed to charging them up for my MM at the end of a flight, and if the weather is not good for flying for a week or so, all they’re down to is maybe around 97%. If I get an Air2, it sounds like I’ll need a little more advance scheduling. Not a deal breaker probably.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information dawgpilot. According to InvisibleName it’s a non issue. I’m just accustomed to charging them up for my MM at the end of a flight, and if the weather is not good for flying for a week or so, all they’re down to is maybe around 97%. If I get an Air2, it sounds like I’ll need a little more advance scheduling. Not a deal breaker probably.
Yea it’s honestly not as big of a deal as it sounds like

The reason why you can leave the MM batteries charged up and they don't force self discharge is because the MM batteries are completely different than the traditional DJI LiPo batteries.

The MM batteries uses lithium-ion cells that are naturally much more stable and therefore does not require much maintenance when compared to LiPo batteries which are found in all the other DJI drones including the MA2. Since LiPo batteries can be more volatile and unpredictable if not maintained at a certain level, DJI solved that problem by adding some logic to the batteries so it can maintain itself and remain safe, resulting in what we call smart batteries hence it's ability to self discharge based on a predefined criteria.

Because the MM uses lithium-ion batteries which are fairly stable, there wasn't a need for DJI to make these batteries smart, so that's why they don't force self discharge, rather a natural gradual and slow discharge.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The reason why you can leave the MM batteries charged up and they don't force self discharge is because the MM batteries are completely different than the traditional DJI LiPo batteries.

The MM batteries uses lithium-ion cells that are naturally much more stable and therefore does not require much maintenance when compared to LiPo batteries which are found in all the other DJI drones including the MA2. Since LiPo batteries can be more volatile and unpredictable if not maintained at a certain level, DJI solved that problem by adding some logic to the batteries so it can maintain itself and remain safe, resulting in what we call smart batteries hence it's ability to self discharge based on a predefined criteria.

Because the MM uses lithium-ion batteries which are fairly stable, there wasn't a need for DJI to make these batteries smart, so that's why they don't force self discharge, rather a natural gradual and slow discharge.
Good to know Ace.7. That’s another positive characteristic in the plus column for the MM that very few talk about. Thanks.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Interesting that DJI used their best batteries yet, in the mini.

I think the Mavic Mini's Lithium Ion batteries are not as good for generating the high current needed with heavier drones.

Interesting that DJI used their best batteries yet, in the mini.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's their best battery but rather an appropriate battery. It simple uses a pair of 18650's rated at 2400mah with a proprietary circuit board. Since the MM was light enough, the power requirement was minimal and enough for the 18650's to handle despite being heavier than similar 2S LiPo batteries. If DJI had gone with LiPo batteries for the MM, the cost would have gone up taking away it's affordability, so in essence the Lithium-ion batteries was a fair compromise.

As for the MA2 and other DJI drones, the main reason why LiPo batteries are used instead of Lithium-ion is it's reduced weight to capacity ratio versus other battery types of similar capacity size as well as it's higher discharge rate.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I think the Mavic Mini's Lithium Ion batteries are not as good for generating the high current needed with heavier drones.
Your assumption is partially correct. Not only the discharge rate is higher in the LiPo's, it weighs less, therefore increasing its efficiency.

Good to know Ace.7. That’s another positive characteristic in the plus column for the MM that very few talk about. Thanks.
It sure does keep the cost down.

Keep in mind though, the MM batteries shouldn't be kept fully charged for a long period, DJI advises no more than 10 days, rather it needs to be manually discharged to a safe storage capacity, say around 50% or so. It will definitely help maintain the longevity and maximize it's lifespan so you can get the most effective cycles out of it.

A surprising thing to me, is how little some of you fly, that your batteries are draining down while sitting. Just fly more regularly, and no more issue. It is a slow week if I only fly through my three batteries, being charged up four times each. That is a mere twelve flights in an entire week, which isn't much.
That sounds awesome.. and shame on those of us who have jobs and families that take up so much of our time. I would love to fly 12 times a week but that’s not possible whatsoever.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR