DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Manta ray. How low can you go?

basyok

Reactions
I got this footage of a manta ray in the Pacific ocean of the coast of Oaxaca, Mexico this morning:

I was flying at 10m AGL, on 2x zoom video mode. I don't think it was a very big ray - i know these can get huge. Anyway, i would have loved to have gotten closer, but didn't have the nerve. How close to the ocean do others get?

I got this footage of a manta ray in the Pacific ocean of the coast of Oaxaca, Mexico this morning:

I was flying at 10m AGL, on 2x zoom video mode. I don't think it was a very big ray - i know these can get huge. Anyway, i would have loved to have gotten closer, but didn't have the nerve. How close to the ocean do others get?
I fly quite often at circa 1 meter above the surf with my MA2 with no issues.

Reactions: basyok
I fly quite often at circa 1 meter above the surf with my MA2 with no issues.
Wow! That's low. I mean, any random wave might be that high. I expect when you're flying that low, your drone camera isn't looking straight down?

Very nice!

Thanks for the video. I've looked for Manta Rays with my drone and have never been lucky enough to spot one. I'll have to keep your video so I can show my friends that they really exist. I don't think they every believed me when I said their wing tips come out of the water.

I forgot to mention I turn the sensors off when I’m flying over water. Makes sure that the drone doesn’t mistakenly think it’s a surface it can land on.
Ah, yes, good point. Nothing creapier than when my drone is descending or ascending while pretending to hover. That would be instant disaster over water!

Nice flying btw

Reactions: Squidinc
Ah, yes, good point. Nothing creapier than when my drone is descending or ascending while pretending to hover.
How low can you go?
As long as you don't fly into the water or leave the drone where a wave can rise up to it, as low as you want.
DJI_0539a-L.jpg

DJI_0796a-L.jpg

Thanks for the video. I've looked for Manta Rays with my drone and have never been lucky enough to spot one. I'll have to keep your video so I can show my friends that they really exist. I don't think they every believed me when I said their wing tips come out of the water.
Keep an eye out, i have some more video, and also got a spotted eagle ray today, and a school of other rays i haven't identified yet. I just need to go through and trim and edit a bit.

Yesterday, we could see the manta rays jumping out of the water from the shore shortly after sunrise. That's how i knew i should fly over there and check things out. It's still crazy hard to locate the right spot though.
How low can you go?
As long as you don't fly into the water or leave the drone where a wave can rise up to it, as low as you want.
DJI_0539a-L.jpg

DJI_0796a-L.jpg
Nice shots.

The issue is, with filming straight down, it's almost impossible to get a feel for how far away from the water you are, and you'll never see a wave until you're in it :-/

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb