DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Sunrise - LaTourette Park & South Beach, Staten Island, New York | THIS VERSION OF YOU | Project Arjun

projectarjun

Reactions

Pilot's Perspective: At first, there was too much overcast. With a little bit of patience, the clouds broke and a gorgeous sunrise was unveiled making the surrounding scenery glow. It was an amazing sight to behold. Winds were calm and people around were just going about their morning routine. Getting to the park was treacherous but was doable. Seeing the Manhattan and Jersey City skyline from this vantage point offered a different perspective. Staten Island has its charm especially in the wee hours. Filming Location: LaTourette Park | South Beach, Staten Island, New York Filming Date: Sunday, December 31st, 2023 Track Title: This Version of You [Joseph Ray Remix] Album: The Last Goodbye [Remixes], No. 2 - EP (2023) Artist: ODESZA (feat. Julianna Barwick) Foreign Family Collective Viewer Tips: Watch in 4K, wear headphones, and sit back and relax. I recommend watching this film on a big screen. | Project Arjun | FAA Part 107 Certified Follow Me on Instagram @ project_arjun

Great production. I was born in Manhattan, this video bring back fonds memories of living in New York City.

• Love
Reactions: projectarjun
Great production. I was born in Manhattan, this video bring back fonds memories of living in New York City.
Thank you for your feedback @Abner055 New York City has changed in many ways, but it's charm is still present :)

Reactions: MotoSavy
I watched the entire video twice. I would grade it as a solid B+.

I would make the following observations. For the most part it was well filmed, but you were dealing with the problem of filming against the sun, and because of HDR (high dynamic range) the foreground was mostly greatly underexposed. It is really difficult to fix this in post so that bothered me a lot. Masking the foreground to increase its exposure would help.In one scene where you actually panned down, the dark scene brightened up to green parks without the bright sky interfering with the exposure.

I found, also, that the scenes were repetitive and the film could have easily been shortened without losing anything. The sound track was very nice and created a great mood.

My final, but really main problem with the filming was that you panned too rapidly for many of the scenes. My eyes had trouble adjusting to the rapid pans.

Final questions;
Why are you using the word"certified" for this?
Did you have to get permission for the sound track?

Dale
Miami

• Love
I watched the entire video twice. I would grade it as a solid B+.

I would make the following observations. For the most part it was well filmed, but you were dealing with the problem of filming against the sun, and because of HDR (high dynamic range) the foreground was mostly greatly underexposed. It is really difficult to fix this in post so that bothered me a lot. Masking the foreground to increase its exposure would help.In one scene where you actually panned down, the dark scene brightened up to green parks without the bright sky interfering with the exposure.

I found, also, that the scenes were repetitive and the film could have easily been shortened without losing anything. The sound track was very nice and created a great mood.

My final, but really main problem with the filming was that you panned too rapidly for many of the scenes. My eyes had trouble adjusting to the rapid pans.

Final questions;
Why are you using the word"certified" for this?
Did you have to get permission for the sound track?

Dale
Miami
Thank you Dale for your invaluable feedback. I definitely agree that the film could have been shortened, could have incorporated less repetitive scenes (unfortunately, filming in this area is very limited due to airspace and other regulations especially how high we could fly). I think exposure could have been remedied by using the appropriate ND filter prior to flight. Also, I was hoping that panning could move the viewer throughout; I will definitely be conservative when panning next time.

I’m actually in PA school. After graduating and passing the board exam, we get to put “certified” in our job title. Coincidentally, the acronym for my YouTube channel is PA, I added certified to the end of the name of my YouTube channel earlier last year just to remind myself of my ultimate goal and passion, PA-C 🙂

Thank you Dale for your invaluable feedback. I definitely agree that the film could have been shortened, could have incorporated less repetitive scenes (unfortunately, filming in this area is very limited due to airspace and other regulations especially how high we could fly). I think exposure could have been remedied by using the appropriate ND filter prior to flight. Also, I was hoping that panning could move the viewer throughout; I will definitely be conservative when panning next time.

I’m actually in PA school. After graduating and passing the board exam, we get to put “certified” in our job title. Coincidentally, the acronym for my YouTube channel is PA, I added certified to the end of the name of my YouTube channel earlier last year just to remind myself of my ultimate goal and passion, PA-C 🙂
Thanks for that explanation. Now I understand. (Like I get to put M.D. after my name, but now that I am retired, I never use the M.D.).

And the question about the music rights?

I once purchased a one year subscription to a music service and barely used it. Now, I just grab any music that is appropriate ( with a great deal of listening to many tracks). I never monetize my videos and that is why I have avoided You Tube submissions and only use Vimeo.

• Love
Thanks for that explanation. Now I understand. (Like I get to put M.D. after my name, but now that I am retired, I never use the M.D.).

And the question about the music rights?

I once purchased a one year subscription to a music service and barely used it. Now, I just grab any music that is appropriate ( with a great deal of listening to many tracks). I never monetize my videos and that is why I have avoided You Tube submissions and only use Vimeo.
Regarding the music, the owners allow me to use the tracks provided I don’t monetize them. I’m not making any money off my YouTube videos.

If I ever fly commercially, I would definitely consider the royalty-free music through subscription options.

Regarding exposure, I probably should have used HLG instead of DLOG-M and editing in post. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again and I highly appreciate it

Regarding the music, the owners allow me to use the tracks provided I don’t monetize them. I’m not making any money off my YouTube videos.

If I ever fly commercially, I would definitely consider the royalty-free music through subscription options.

Regarding exposure, I probably should have used HLG instead of DLOG-M and editing in post. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again and I highly appreciate it
I really wish I could give you (and myself) the answer to how to solve the dilemma of high dynamic range in drone video photography. It has vexed me since the begining. It is it quite easy for me to to use masking tools in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) for still images, but in Premiere Pro (my preferred editing program) I would have to use the masking pen and laboriously continue masking throughout the clip. Here is a screen grab in which I have submitted an un-edited and edited version (with masking first the sky, then the inverted sky view for the foreground to lighten the foreground). Tell me what you think.
Arun-unedited screen shot.jpgedited version using masking tools.jpg

• Wow
Another great video!

• Love
I really wish I could give you (and myself) the answer to how to solve the dilemma of high dynamic range in drone video photography. It has vexed me since the begining. It is it quite easy for me to to use masking tools in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) for still images, but in Premiere Pro (my preferred editing program) I would have to use the masking pen and laboriously continue masking throughout the clip. Here is a screen grab in which I have submitted an un-edited and edited version (with masking first the sky, then the inverted sky view for the foreground to lighten the foreground). Tell me what you think.
View attachment 171628View attachment 171629

I really appreciate you pointing out masking tools. I still have a lot to delve into when it comes to Adobe Premiere Pro. I use Adobe Premiere Pro as my primary video editing software. I thought using a LUT throughout the film would have done the trick, but is obviously a much more involved process as you pointed out :)

I might have to consider reuploading this video with your suggestion (or for subsequent videos going forward). I agree the foreground could have used a bit more effort.

When it come repetitive scenery, I tend to be more redundant when it comes to sunrises and sunsets, because as each minute goes by, there's a difference in terms of how light is dispersed on the same setting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne