DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Many Tall Buildings - signal reflectance? best results question

nworbmit

Reactions
I'm a complete newbie. My 1st drone will be a Mavic Pro Platinum (or might wait for the new one) I live in China in a 33 floor residential building. I can get to the roof to launch my drone. My question is not regarding rules or China. I just want to know what equipment I need to have best control over the drone in a neighborhood of tall buildings. I would imagine lots of signal reflectance could happen, off of buildings. Is that a concern? Do I need an range extender equipment. The neighborhood is fairly unpopulated, so not such a safety issue as far as hurting anyone. Just lots of cool empty tall buildings. I've never flown a drone before. Complete Newbie.

Reflecting might not be as much as concern as signal blocking when you go behind some structures with a lot of metal. Therefore you might want to be sure your RTH height is above the tallest of the buildings. You should also be aware of any other things between those buildings such as wires or overhead walkways. If there are microwaves or other antennas on top of those buildings they might cause serious interference, too. By the way, how could you be among several UNOCCUPIED tall buildings, if I may ask?

Reactions: Ripper7620
Reflecting might not be as much as concern as signal blocking when you go behind some structures with a lot of metal. Therefore you might want to be sure your RTH height is above the tallest of the buildings. You should also be aware of any other things between those buildings such as wires or overhead walkways. If there are microwaves or other antennas on top of those buildings they might cause serious interference, too. By the way, how could you be among several UNOCCUPIED tall buildings, if I may ask?

Because China keeps building residential buildings without filling them with people. You probably have seen the entire ghost cities in the news. Well they do this somewhat in many city suburbs. I'm in a new development zone subarb. There are more empty units than inhabited units. It's not entirely empty but it not overpopulated China either.

what do you do regarding your height?

For me signal lose isn't the biggest issue, it would be compass interference from all the steel. My concern might be unfounded and the bigger problem is, if my concern is correct, that i don't know how you get around it.

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS