DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map downloads

ChrisA114

Reactions
I'm completly new to this and have a smart controller, and would like to know what the purpose/use of maps is. Are they really necessary. I travel a lot in areas that do not have any form is internet connection (No cell phone or WIFI). What is the impact of not having maps. I don't know exactly where I will be at any given time as I travel throughout Australia.

Maps aren’t a requirement to fly, just an added feature in the device.
Personal preference is all it is.

Reactions: ChrisA114
Thanks. I'll just ignore from now on

While having Maps is not necessary, they can be useful if you want to see where your aircraft is if you lose sight of it. You can also use the maps to locate your craft if it crashes. On a phone or tablet, you can download and cache the maps of the area you want to fly if you know ahead of time of where you will be flying and know that you do not have access to internet where you will be flying. You can cache the maps at home / hotel room via wifi before heading out. There are some good YouTube videos on how to do that on iOS and Android devices. All that said, I do not have a Smart Controller, so I do not know if you can cache maps to the smart controller using WiFi when available. Perhaps someone with a SC can come in?

While having Maps is not necessary, they can be useful if you want to see where your aircraft is if you lose sight of it. You can also use the maps to locate your craft if it crashes. On a phone or tablet, you can download and cache the maps of the area you want to fly if you know ahead of time of where you will be flying and know that you do not have access to internet where you will be flying. You can cache the maps at home / hotel room via wifi before heading out. There are some good YouTube videos on how to do that on iOS and Android devices. All that said, I do not have a Smart Controller, so I do not know if you can cache maps to the smart controller using WiFi when available. Perhaps someone with a SC can come in?
Yes, you can cache maps on the SC when you have WiFi.

Is there any way of adding maps to the app? I already have quite a few on my Android Tablet that cover larger areas than I can download via the SC. e.g. Google Maps for off line.
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can tell you that when you go to download maps to DJI Go4 app on the SC, it will show you a map of the world. You then move it to the area you want and zoom in to the size that the SC can use and then you can name it and save it, so you can use it when flying in the area of the map or maps you downloaded.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can tell you that when you go to download maps to DJI Go4 app on the SC, it will show you a map of the world. You then move it to the area you want and zoom in to the size that the SC can use and then you can name it and save it, so you can use it when flying in the area of the map or maps you downloaded.
Thanks for your help. My dilemma is getting maps I can use when I travel several thousand km in areas without any intranet connection and don't have an exact route as it is likely to change on the way. Probably just have to do without them.

I've tried the same, but caching seems to be the only option so far. But that's quite erratic in its behaviour. In the end I'm now used flying without maps when abroad

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3