DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map Nav - Go4 App

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I have neglected to sufficiently utilize map navigation as I typically fly within VLOS. However, sometimes the bird becomes invisible at the far boundaries of my eyesight. (M2P / SC / Go4 app)

In a semi remote area, I recently selected Satellite view for the map, but that view did not load, only the standard map view. Should I just wait longer next time for it to load, or can Sat view be unavailable in remote areas with weak signal?

I typically monitor the map view -but not in full screen view. When not in full screen mode, it appears that the red arrow orientation is not always correct in the map window. Is full screen view only way to view correct drone orientation, the route flown path, and the direct RTH path?

Also, as I fly manually within VLOS, I rarely need auto RTH. but I need to be better prepared for that option. It can be very windy where I fly, so climbing to 400' can be dangerous. In the SC/Go4 MC Settings, I see the RTH Altitude field where RTW height can be altered. If I lower the RTH altitude there, will that setting be overridden by other defaults? Is that the quickest access to the RTH altitude? (I would only change this in flatter terrain, where wind speed might drastically increase with altitude)

Any other map/nav tips appreciated, thanks!

Satellite view requires a lot of data (so you need to be connected to cellular) and I don't think it can be cached. But I don't fly with cellular, so I could be wrong about the cache part.

I've never seen the orientation arrow in map view be wrong, regardless of if the window is full size or not (which shouldn't make a difference at all). In fact, I use it all the time and it's important that this indicator remain accurate -- as far as I've experienced, it always has been. As a software developer, I would be very surprised if there was a difference in orientation indicators based on window size.

RTH height is something that should be a part of your pre-flight checklist and so should be set accordingly for each flight. I personally have rarely set it to 400'. That's a waste of battery power unless you know you're in a locale that requires that kind of clearance. I set a default of about 150'. I only change it to something higher if I need to, then set it back later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54