DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map not keeping up in DJI Fly

maggior

Reactions
Normally I use the Smart Controller with my MA2 and I always keep the map open in the bottom right corner and the icon for the drone will always be present and has the blue line coming out the back to lay out the path taken and a red line from the front that runs directly to home. As I fly, I can see both.

With my SC at DJI a second time for warranty service (ugh), I decided to get a standard controller off Ebay. I am running DJI Fly on my Galaxy S7 phone. I don't cache video and the video feed is set for "smooth". Phone isn't overloaded, not running hot, all seems good. BUT, the map doesn't seem to be able to keep up in the bottom left corner and all I see is a blue line. If I back off on the speed of the drone, the map catches up and I'll see the drone icon again. I have a map of whole area preloaded via Google Maps. I put my phone in airplane mode when I'm flying

Is this normal behavior?

I can change the view so I see the drone and home point at all times, but I like the other view better.

On a separate note, I did some experiments flying around my neighborhood (which is quite wooded) and I don't notice a significant difference in range from my SC. Perhaps the range difference will be more prominent in wide open spaces. I'll find out this week. At the fringes the reception seems slightly more solid, but that's about it. It's not like suddenly I can go 100's of meters out farther than I used to.

I have to say that the SC is far more solid and precise feeling in the hands than the standard controller. I really don't like the process of having to connect my phone up and a sun shade. The SC is slightly wider so the sticks are farter apart, which I like. The smaller size of my phone wasn't as much of a factor as I thought it would be. I much prefer the SC, but it's good to have the regular controller now as a backup and for options in the future if I decided to go with a tablet or something.

Last edited:
I think this is normal behavior because I have the same exp. With my ma2

Reactions: maggior
Normally I use the Smart Controller with my MA2 and I always keep the map open in the bottom right corner and the icon for the drone will always be present and has the blue line coming out the back to lay out the path taken and a red line from the front that runs directly to home. As I fly, I can see both.

With my SC at DJI a second time for warranty service (ugh), I decided to get a standard controller off Ebay. I am running DJI Fly on my Galaxy S7 phone. I don't cache video and the video feed is set for "smooth". Phone isn't overloaded, not running hot, all seems good. BUT, the map doesn't seem to be able to keep up in the bottom left corner and all I see is a blue line. If I back off on the speed of the drone, the map catches up and I'll see the drone icon again. I have a map of whole area preloaded via Google Maps. I put my phone in airplane mode when I'm flying

Is this normal behavior?

I can change the view so I see the drone and home point at all times, but I like the other view better.

On a separate note, I did some experiments flying around my neighborhood (which is quite wooded) and I don't notice a significant difference in range from my SC. Perhaps the range difference will be more prominent in wide open spaces. I'll find out this week. At the fringes the reception seems slightly more solid, but that's about it. It's not like suddenly I can go 100's of meters out farther than I used to.

I have to say that the SC is far more solid and precise feeling in the hands than the standard controller. I really don't like the process of having to connect my phone up and a sun shade. The SC is slightly wider so the sticks are farter apart, which I like. The smaller size of my phone wasn't as much of a factor as I thought it would be. I much prefer the SC, but it's good to have the regular controller now as a backup and for options in the future if I decided to go with a tablet or something.
I only use the map / compass on a rare occasion, should I look down at my tablet to ensure video / pics doing what I want and then look back and that little gray thing called a drone went into "stealth" mode. I try to keep my screen as clear as possible to note any incoming foliage I can't see from my vantage point. Like RTH - to me these things are fail safes when flying.

When I am using the map / compass - it is not fluid for sure on my Android tablet, but I'm not needing it to be fluid. Just a reference point on how to get it back within my view / home which it does very well. Then back to flying by the seat of my pants.

Reactions: maggior
I only use the map / compass on a rare occasion, should I look down at my tablet to ensure video / pics doing what I want and then look back and that little gray thing called a drone went into "stealth" mode. I try to keep my screen as clear as possible to note any incoming foliage I can't see from my vantage point. Like RTH - to me these things are fail safes when flying.

When I am using the map / compass - it is not fluid for sure on my Android tablet, but I'm not needing it to be fluid. Just a reference point on how to get it back within my view / home which it does very well. Then back to flying by the seat of my pants.

I don't rely on RTH but I will admit I've probably become too dependent on the map and the direct-path-to-home red line on the map. It's not that I can't fly back without it, but it makes it easier to navigate back. If I let off the sticks it comes back into view so if I really need to start bringing it back, I can get what I need. It's just nice to be able to see it as I'm flying so I can incorporate the turn fluidly in my flying rather than stopping, orienting, then flying again.

I should probably learn how to use the compass since it may better do what I'm looking for the map to do for me.

Thanks for chiming in!

Mine does exactly the same thing with a Galaxy S7e and also a Tab S7. It's often an issue when I'm trying to shoot video and stop my drone short of flying over a road or into an area with people because I can no longer see it's position on the map until I let off the sticks and the map "catches up". I wish there was a fix.

I don't rely on RTH but I will admit I've probably become too dependent on the map and the direct-path-to-home red line on the map. It's not that I can't fly back without it, but it makes it easier to navigate back. If I let off the sticks it comes back into view so if I really need to start bringing it back, I can get what I need. It's just nice to be able to see it as I'm flying so I can incorporate the turn fluidly in my flying rather than stopping, orienting, then flying again.

I should probably learn how to use the compass since it may better do what I'm looking for the map to do for me.

Thanks for chiming in!
Here's a video of what you're experiencing, I get it too with my setup. Air2s, standard controller and a Galaxy Tab S7

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS