DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo Buy 1 waterproof and another non decision?

nutsnbolts

Reactions
Ok roughly it will probably help with saving 5 dollars...:) But I want to hear from folks whether to go with 1 waterproof and another non.

Im having a hard time deciding although what seems to be the best option is to go with 2 waterproof Combo.

I have a Spark and Mavic Pro Platinum so although I don't plan to leave the tracker on when storing the drones away. I technically don't need two. I can just switch between 1 Marco Polo device.

However the curve ball here is that i don't really see many people mounting the waterproof version on the spark. It is usually the non lightweight one. Obviously the realstate on where to mount on the spark is small so something rigid like the waterproof version may make it limited on how I can mount it on the spark.

Please help in justifying going either 1 waterproof and 1 non or just go two waterproof?

Thanks in advance.. as stated no matter which way you cut it. 2 waterproof or 1 of each the price is probably close to like 5 dollar difference.

On a side note: There is a non version that comes with a case and I was going to buy a waterproof standalone to complete the set...the price is pretty much the same as 2 waterproof but no case. Hmm..

This post from the inventor of the Marco Polo tracker explains the differences.

Msinger:

First off thanks for that post. It's sort of what I'm looking for and I understand the justification. I just can't seem to come up with a decision as to how I should go about purchasing the Marco Polo. I know for some folks, it may be easier to just pull the trigger on 2 waterproof combo but considering that I have the Spark and Mavic. As you can see from the post that you direct me to, it seems like, I should go with 1 non-waterproof for the Spark and then go 1 waterproof for the Mavic/Spark/whatever drone (since it's clip on interchangeable).

I don't know...I want to hear some folks thoughts, including yours :) what you would do? I just don't have the device and although I know the dimensions and the benefits of one over the other, I want to see if anyone can weigh in on "real life" experience on using one or the other on either the spark or mavic.

I don't want to get 2 waterproof and realize dang, I can't use the waterproof on the spark or have to go back and wished I gotten 1 and 1. I know it's kind of stupid to ask others for a decision but sometimes folks who have real experiences with the device can point out things that a person can't imagine.

What do you think?

I own the older non-waterproof version. If I bought it again, I'd buy the non-waterproof version again since it's smaller.

Unless you're going to often be flying around water sources that are less than 18 inches deep or you fly in the rain, I'm not sure there will be much benefit to having the waterproof version.

I own the older non-waterproof version. If I bought it again, I'd buy the non-waterproof version again since it's smaller.

Unless you're going to often be flying around water sources that are less than 18 inches deep or you fly in the rain, I'm not sure there will be much benefit to having the waterproof version.

Thanks, that's very insightful. It makes sense. I can't say that I will always be around water sources and most definitely, I will not be flying in Rain. I am going to the Caribbean in the coming month and although if you think about it, if i lose it in water, I really don't see how I can fish it out as it sinks to the bottom of the sea :) I did also fly this past weekend over a river capturing a bridge in a small town so even if I did lose it over that, I really don't know how I would get to the middle of the river to try and fish it out.

I am leaning now to possibly buy one waterproof and one non-waterproof. I haven't found anyone with a waterproof that mounted it on a Spark. On a Mavic yes, I guess it's that extra piece of mind if I was flying my Mavic around. I did see a video of a person who mounted a non-waterproof on a spark and with the flexible antenna, he was able to flex it so it was streamlined on the body. I just don't know if the waterproof would work on the spark. If it doesn't then I guess there is no option other than to purchase 1 and 1-non.

Anything else I may be missing and not thinking about?

Just a quick update. I just spoke with Marco Polo Tracking rep and he mentioned to me that the advance (waterproof) tag will not be able to go on the Spark. Not saying that it isn't possible but the rigidness of the overall device will make it challenging to put on a Spark. He suggested that you can package a combo with 1 being waterproof and the other non which obviously helps since there is no online store (including Amazon) that allows you to do this combo aside from directly at their site. Very helpful and definitely will be recommending this to others aside from the device already being great, the company seems wonderful to work with as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnhernandez