DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mark Waypoint in Smart Controller While Flying?

Ron49

Reactions
Using Go4 on a Smart Controller with a Mavic 2 Pro (all current versions). I’ve searched and searched but can’t figure out how to mark a waypoint while flying with this combo. Some newer controllers apparently use C1 to mark waypoints but I don’t see an option to set that on the SC. Seems like it ought to be simple but apparently it’s beyond me. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
I asked ChatGPT this very question:

Q: How do you mark a point of interest in Waypoints on the Mavic 2 Pro using the smart controller?

A:

As of my last update in September 2021, here's a general procedure on how to set a waypoint with the DJI Smart Controller for Mavic 2 Pro using the DJI GO 4 app:

1. **Preparation**:
- Ensure your Mavic 2 Pro's firmware, DJI GO 4 app, and Smart Controller are all updated to the latest versions.
- Before flying, always perform a pre-flight check. Ensure the drone's battery is fully charged, as is the Smart Controller.

2. **Launch DJI GO 4 App**:
- Turn on the Mavic 2 Pro and the DJI Smart Controller.
- Connect to the drone using the DJI GO 4 app on the Smart Controller.

3. **Access Waypoints Mode**:
- Tap on the controller icon (usually located on the left side of the screen).
- In the menu that pops up, you should see different flight modes. Select `Waypoint`.

4. **Marking a Point of Interest (POI)**:
- Fly the drone to the location you want to mark as a waypoint. The drone's current position and altitude will be used to set the waypoint.
- Once you've positioned the drone, you can either tap on the screen or use the controller to set a waypoint. There will usually be an option/button on the screen to 'Add' or 'Set' a waypoint.

5. **Adding Additional Waypoints**:
- Simply fly the drone to another location and repeat the previous step.

6. **Setting Points of Interest (POI)**:
- A Point of Interest is different from a waypoint. A POI is a specific point that the drone will focus on (or rotate around) during its flight. If you want the drone to focus on a particular spot while moving between waypoints, set that spot as a POI.
- After setting waypoints, there should be an option in the same Waypoints menu to set a POI. Navigate to that option, position the drone over the desired focus point, and set the POI.

7. **Execute the Waypoint Mission**:
- Once you've set all your waypoints and any desired POIs, you can start the waypoint mission. There should be an option to start or play the mission on the DJI GO 4 app.

8. **Monitoring the Flight**:
- Always keep an eye on your drone and its battery levels. If there are any obstacles or issues, be ready to interrupt the mission and take manual control.

9. **Finish**:
- Once the mission is complete, safely land your Mavic 2 Pro.

It's essential to note that while this provides a general overview based on the DJI GO 4 app as of 2021, the interface or steps could be slightly different due to app updates or changes made by DJI. Always refer to the official DJI manual or resources for the most up-to-date information. Safe flying!

I appreciate that response - just tried the suggested approach. While flying you can tap on the waypoints screen to set a new waypoint somewhere other than where the drone currently is, but not on the drone location. I want it to mark the drone position, heading, altitude and gimbal setting as a new waypoint rather than creating a new generic waypoint. ??? That would allow me to assemble a flight plan using those in-air positions after the flight. Seems like it should be easy, but I can’t find the trick.

Ok yeah I think I remember that, been awhile. Little bit different when using the Smart Controller. Can't remember offhand so I'll have to check back; let you know if I find anything.

Have you tried assigning one of the buttons under Button Customization to set waypoint?
I had tried that and didn't see a "Waypoint" option, but your suggestion sent me hunting again and I found the solution! Thank you.

In customizing C1 on the Smart Controller in Go4, the list of options does not include "set waypoint", but one of the options is "Navigation".

1. Set C1 (or C2) to "Navigation" in the Controller menu while connected to the aircraft in camera mode

2. When flying with drone in a position you want to mark, go into Waypoints mode then tap C1 - waypoint will be created with position, altitude, heading, speed, and gimbal tilt

3. Mark more waypoints as desired without leaving Waypoints mode

4. "Save Task" before exiting Waypoints mode (may be able to recover previously set waypoints if you don't do this but can't be sure)

5. "Load Task" later to take your saved waypoints and customize into a flight track, then "Save Task" again

Odd behavior note: On mine at least, with C1 set to "Navigation" and C2 set to "Camera Forward/Down", pressing C2 deletes the previously set waypoint! (Took me a bit to figure out what was happening there as I use C2 a lot for camera quick positioning and didn't notice the waypoints disappearing until the end of the flight. 🤓)

If anyone has more tips in this area, please add!

Reactions: Jam0ne
Using Go4 on a Smart Controller with a Mavic 2 Pro (all current versions). I’ve searched and searched but can’t figure out how to mark a waypoint while flying with this combo. Some newer controllers apparently use C1 to mark waypoints but I don’t see an option to set that on the SC. Seems like it ought to be simple but apparently it’s beyond me. Any help appreciated.
have a similar set just i have the m2z and i was abble to push c1 on my sc and it would mark location

I am not a fan of DJI's GO 4 solution. Last thing I want is to be out in the weather flying and picking waypoints the same time. It consumes batteries when doing multi flights. Adds risk since the pilot is distracted with the tweaking on the screen and has diminished situational awareness and other considerations that could result in loss of AC or injury to populace.

It is much better to mission plan in the office, export to Google Earth and tweak as necessary to cover all contingencies before getting in a extended travel to a job..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1