DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mav 3 motor overload

peterc4

Reactions
Hi all, just some food for thought.

Was out and about today with my Mavic 3,( foggy and 1 deree cel) I was bringing it home after a couple of pics, it got to within 5m of me and about 3m of the ground when I got a motor over heat message or words to that effect didn’t catch it all then landing message just as I was about to run over and grab it, it fell to the ground from around 6 feet it landed in the snow so only a couple of cosmetic scuffs no damage, yesterday I was flying over water at 100 feet. The front right hand motor was to hot to touch, after walking for another hour I sent it up again it was fine no issues, the same motor was slightly warmer than the others though, so anyway the reason for this post is, make sure you have care or insurance it can happen anytime without warning, opened a ticket with dji so should be sorted in the next week or so…..

If you replay the flight in the app's profile section you may see the warning message.
Alternatively upload the .txt flight log to
and replay the flight there or download the csv from that site, open it as a spreadsheet and look at the EXTREME lower right 'corner'.

Reactions: RodPad
If you replay the flight in the app's profile section you may see the warning message.
and replay the flight there or download the csv from that site, open it as a spreadsheet and look at the EXTREME lower right 'corner'.
Thanks mate here is the screen grabs

Attachments

• 20231203_182208.jpg
    20231203_182208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231203_182243.jpg
    20231203_182243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

...out and about today with my Mavic 3,( foggy and 1 deree cel) I was bringing it home after a couple of pics, it got to within 5m of me and about 3m of the ground when I got a motor over heat message or words to that effect didn’t catch it all then landing message just as I was about to run over and grab it, it fell to the ground from around 6 feet it landed in the snow...so anyway the reason for this post is, make sure you have care or insurance it can happen anytime without warning, opened a ticket with dji so should be sorted in the next week or so…..
So you've been a member here since 2020... & never heard of prop icing?

No need to send anything back to DJI... you need to keep your drone grounded when the dew point temperature is near the temperature where you fly & it's below +5C.

Moist will otherwise risk to ice up your props, severely lessen the thrust generated... this will make the motors to gradually increase their rpm's until they can't spin faster (motors overload errors come in)... & then it's game over & all comes down free falling.

No need to send anything back to DJI... you need to keep your drone grounded when the dew point temperature is near the temperature where you fly & it's below +5C.

Moist will otherwise risk to ice up your props, severely lessen the thrust generated... this will make the motors to gradually increase their rpm's until they can't spin faster (motors overload errors come in)... & then it's game over & all comes down free falling.

Spot on thanks for that, no need for the opening line we are not all as good as you

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

Was out and about today with my Mavic 3,( foggy and 1 deree cel) I was bringing it home after a couple of pics, it got to within 5m of me and about 3m of the ground when I got a motor over heat message or words to that effect didn’t catch it all then landing message just as I was about to run over and grab it, it fell to the ground from around 6 feet it landed in the snow so only a couple of cosmetic scuffs no damage, yesterday I was flying over water at 100 feet. The front right hand motor was to hot to touch, after walking for another hour I sent it up again it was fine no issues, the same motor was slightly warmer than the others though, so anyway the reason for this post is, make sure you have care or insurance it can happen anytime without warning, opened a ticket with dji so should be sorted in the next week or so…..
Just a thought that occurred to me. Try replacing all your props, then put the bird up about 10' in a static hover for 10 mins or so. Bring it down and see if the same motor is still noticeably hotter than the other three.

Thanks

Spot on thanks for that, no need for the opening line we are not all as good as you
Maybe a bit harsh, sorry... just got surprised, this always comes up at this time every year.

well people all sorted and back tomorrow voltage error on 2 motors nothing to do with the weather, make sure you get care its second to none

^^This is the correct answer.

Thats not what dji i say unless you know something i dont
Well... what DJI says & what's the real truth have differed more than once when we compared their claims & what we see in the logs. Don't really know what a "Voltage error on 2 motors" mean? Think they would have been much harder to deal with if you would have claimed it as a warranty case & not something you pay with your DJI care.

Just a pity that the mobile device DAT log is encrypted for Mavic 3's... would be really easy to see if this was a prop icing case or not then...

But if you're happy, it's enough... but take prop icing seriously, the conditions you flew in couldn't be more perfect for icing. Don't fly when the dewpoint is near the actual ambient temp... & the ambient is between +5C & -20C degrees.

Reactions: Broocoocoo
Maybe a bit harsh, sorry... just got surprised, this always comes up at this time every year.
Not harsh, people should know about dew point before you ever start to fly. Some people just get real sensitive when you point out their obvious ignorance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas