DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 1 Pro burned/smoked

idp1

Reactions
Thanks to all the members, I just joined the forum and seeking your help for the mess I did with my Mavic 1 Pro.

Problem - Flame & Smoke came out near front arms/body of my Mavic 1 Pro

Was unit in a crash - Yes. It was my stupidity... started the drone inside the house after 6-7 months of not touching it. It was hovering around 4-5 ft above ground, hit the 'return home' button not realizing I set it to go 125ft high before coming home! Drone went full power, stuck to the ceiling and motors kept going at full speed. In my panic I cancelled 'return home', but did not pull right levers to bring it down. It eventually crash landed. Then I noticed the burning smell, small flame & smoke started coming out of area where front arms join the body. I took the battery out, which is piping hot and moved the drone to outside of the house.

What have you tried so far - Next day, I attached battery to drone. Battery would power on, but NOT the drone. I removed top cover from drone body and the circuit board is charr burned (see pics)

What device are you using - iPhone

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? Yes, see attached pics.
Just wondering whether this is salvageable and if so what I need to do. Before sending the drone into ceiling as described above, I did replace 'gimbal lock plate' which solved the problem of camera not moving up down. So I am comfortable in doing minor repairs.

1674301479968.png
1674301504610.png
1674301524385.png

• Wow
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
@idp1 basically the main board is toast and also the wiring ,plus how much unseen damage has been done if i am being brutally honest with you you would be better off trying to find a replacement similar model used or even slightly upgrade to a MPP ,which is virtually the same drone and the RC and batteries and even the props will work with it ,there has been a hard learnt lesson here, resulting in your drones demise, so criticising you would not be a good thing ,you have been punished enough
hope you find a replacement

If you want to continue with flying an M1P, my advice is to find one for sale and keep the burnt one for a few good parts. Probably cheaper and less complicated than trying to fix it. Who knows how deep the short circuit goes.

Or you could make it a life long challenge to repair it notwithstanding the cost, just to say “I did it!”. Get your wallet out and a good soldering iron. Is it considered salvageable if you replace more than 50% of the original components? Dunno.

Or you could sell it with the prospect that there could be “a few good parts”, and move on to a more updated drone from the Mavic line.

Reactions: old man mavic
That is a failed ESC circuit on the main board. I’m afraid replacing the main board would only be a option and you still don’t know if there is other damage further in.
As others have mentioned, It’s best to seek a used MP and keep that one for various parts.

ESC circuit on the main board
From what I see, ESC Board is not the main board of the drone, so that's confusing.
o-gs wiki: Mavic Pro boards

Anyway, it looks like the "FC and ESC board" has popcorned, so component level repair probably won't be possible.
The reason may be either in the MOSFETs on the board, or in the motor. So besides replacing the board, I'd also check the motors.

"popcorned" means that the moisture traped inside the board vaporized and put enough pressure on the board to split its layers, creating bubbles of air inside the PCB substrate.

Thank you all for your informed responses. I guess, either I will keep the fried one for spares or try selling on ebay as 'part out'. Appreciate the quick help

No lecture, just some observations.
I am surprised it RTH'ed, I have tried that indoors with a Mini 1 or 2 and it refused the command due to lack of satellites and no location lock.
Secondly, to unstick a drone from a ceiling you need to close the throttle quite a lot, more than is necessary to get it to descend. So once it is unstuck and dropped a bit, release the throttle or control the descent rate.
I have a few circles on the ceiling drawn by drone props but they were short duration 'high' hovers rather than attempts to climb.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Sorry for your loss, but as others have said, the drone is dead (RIP). I'm sure if you do a Google search you will find some good deals on a replacement.

thanks folks for the kind words. To be honest, when the incident unfolded it was so traumatic/depressing I can't clearly recall the sequence of events and what actions I took! At some point it dropped off the ceiling, fell on the floor hitting coffee table on the way. And then the power went off + fire & smoke started. There were a number of times I flew it in the same room (although never attempted RTH till that fateful day) without issue, scaring my little Maltese dog thought. I guess the dumbest thing I guess I did was to hit RTH forgetting I set it up to go to certain altitude before traveling home.

@idp1 basically the main board is toast and also the wiring ,plus how much unseen damage has been done if i am being brutally honest with you you would be better off trying to find a replacement similar model used or even slightly upgrade to a MPP ,which is virtually the same drone and the RC and batteries and even the props will work with it ,there has been a hard learnt lesson here, resulting in your drones demise, so criticising you would not be a good thing ,you have been punished enough
hope you find a replacement
I have to say thats a good kill probably almost as good as crashing in salt water near marina, time for taps in my experiance with repairs not really many repairs are minor

Sorry about your misfortune.
Welcome to the Forum from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART

An update... 1) I was able to sell on ebay just the drone for about 100, which is not bad I guess & 2) I picked up a used nice Mavic 2 zoom with 2 batteries (20 cycles) for 450, also a great deal. Now in the process of selling 2 Mavic Pro 1 batteries (50 cycles) & the controller, both listed on ebay. Hopefully I will recover some decent money from the burn loss

Sadly in this hobby, one misjudgement or one oversight can cost a lot of money. You can have 1000 flights that go fine and have one that costs you thousands. Luckily, you know what caused this incident and thus can move forward with even more knowledge!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S