DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Battery Retention

EricJT

Reactions
Last edited:
This would be great to protect against a battery disconnect in flight if you have a bulging battery

Looks like a good design. Sadly it’s out of stock.

Paul C

The more I see people use these straps the more I wonder if it might not be a good thing to use. Just thinking instead of the puffed battery ejecting itself it just grows until it vents and catches fire!! if it fell on a roof or dry grass or trees would suck for sure. What do all of think about it. I'm so bored lol waiting for all my Batts to charge.

I am the OP and was trying to get feedback if any other forum member may have used the product.

I had ordered it but after 3 months, no sign of it even though the seller said it would be shipped but the pandemic is creating havoc.

I finally escalated through eBay and subsequently received my credit.

Unfortunate as I wanted a more elegant solution than my velco strap.

I'd recommend that the retention bracket be mounted when you fly the M2P. I got one from Ali Express last Christmas as shown in the attachment. It serves these purposes for me by:
  1. Strapping the battery in place to avoid mid air battery ejection.
  2. Holding a separate camera for some special purposes.
  3. Mounting Marco Polo tracker.
And of course, it can serve other purposes of my need. The net weight is 35g (excluding the tracker). It gives me a good sense of safe fly.
Good luck.

Attachments

• 55589811-1B41-4C03-9D0B-B6E9536A238D.jpeg
    55589811-1B41-4C03-9D0B-B6E9536A238D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
The more I see people use these straps the more I wonder if it might not be a good thing to use. Just thinking instead of the puffed battery ejecting itself it just grows until it vents and catches fire!! if it fell on a roof or dry grass or trees would suck for sure. What do all of think about it. I'm so bored lol waiting for all my Batts to charge.

I would think if your battery has ever been or is swelling that you bin it
Don't use it, as "outgassing" a battery is not reversible

I would use the strap to stop unwanted disconnects on a good battery

Reactions: Elude
I'd recommend that the retention bracket be mounted when you fly the M2P. I got one from Ali Express last Christmas as shown in the attachment. It serves these purposes for me by:
  1. Strapping the battery in place to avoid mid air battery ejection.
  2. Holding a separate camera for some special purposes.
  3. Mounting Marco Polo tracker.
And of course, it can serve other purposes of my need. The net weight is 35g (excluding the tracker). It gives me a good sense of safe fly.
Good luck.
Would you be able to post the link to the bracket you referred to? TIA.

Last edited:
So after the order never arrived, I received a credit for the battery holder buckle. Then last Saturday, guess what arrived in the mail?

I have not flown with it yet but have mounted it. Putting it on, I have to spread the bracket a fair amount but time will tell if it can withstand the flexing.

Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 20200706_171102.jpg
    20200706_171102.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
  • 20200706_171053.jpg
    20200706_171053.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 55
Has battery swelling and battery disconnect been an issue?... if so why has not DJI addressed this? The Phantom 2's were absolutely horrid batteries, I never got more than 15 to 20 flights before swelling. I had thought DJI had learned their lesson. Since that version (I've had P3P, P4P, MP, MP2) I've never had an issue, including my current MP2.

Has battery swelling and battery disconnect been an issue?... if so why has not DJI addressed this? The Phantom 2's were absolutely horrid batteries, I never got more than 15 to 20 flights before swelling. I had thought DJI had learned their lesson. Since that version (I've had P3P, P4P, MP, MP2) I've never had an issue, including my current MP2.
I don't think battery swelling on the Mavic 2 is prevalent if the battery is properly maintained.

Rather, I have read very occasionally if you brake rapidly from a high speed, the latches may let go....so the battery buckle is somewhat like a belt and suspenders. Redundancy.

UPDATE:

Now, all of a sudden ALL THREE of my original batteries have puffed. These are dated Mfg'd July of 2018

I treat my batteries right, no going below 25%, no over heating (sometimes I even cool them after flight). Storage at 50-60%. They have between 40 and 50 cycles.

Bummed and pissed. NEVER had a problem with my MP1 batteries or Phantom 3 or 4 for that matter.

So after the order never arrived, I received a credit for the battery holder buckle. Then last Saturday, guess what arrived in the mail?

I have not flown with it yet but have mounted it. Putting it on, I have to spread the bracket a fair amount but time will tell if it can withstand the flexing.

Here are a couple of pics.
BTW, I also use the Brocoon Sticky Back Tape Fastener. It weighs only 1.5g. It's super strong and very light. See the two pictures.

Attachments

• C76D098C-6471-441B-85F4-42CF4A76E762.jpeg
    C76D098C-6471-441B-85F4-42CF4A76E762.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • E28B750F-681A-4E92-9F61-C0F6CE9969CA.jpeg
    E28B750F-681A-4E92-9F61-C0F6CE9969CA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members