DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Crash - Gimbal Issue - Help!

TBJ85

Reactions
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.. Hoping that I can get some much needed guidance from the collective bank of knowledge on this forum.

I recently purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and have been having a lot of fun with it, but unfortunately in this case, a little too much fun. In testing out it’s top speed, I didn’t leave enough braking distance and ended up hitting a tree at slow speed. It crashed and I think it may have landed head first on the camera/gimbal.

The camera seems to be working fine but the up/down pivot joint seems to be bent or dislodged.. photo below. I’m getting an error message on the controller “gimbal overloaded, check cover is removed”. The pivot control won’t work either.

I contacted the D1Store (Australia) and the advised that they don’t repair the gimbal, I would have to replace the entire set-up, ie. gimbal and camera, and was quoted $950 AUD.

Is there another way for me to go about fixing this or am I going to need to replace the whole thing?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
D001ADF0-47A0-4765-B3EA-49E0E642F2A0.jpeg
94783B72-17E7-4C30-8982-927B631ABFBF.jpeg

I
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.. Hoping that I can get some much needed guidance from the collective bank of knowledge on this forum.

I recently purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and have been having a lot of fun with it, but unfortunately in this case, a little too much fun. In testing out it’s top speed, I didn’t leave enough braking distance and ended up hitting a tree at slow speed. It crashed and I think it may have landed head first on the camera/gimbal.

The camera seems to be working fine but the up/down pivot joint seems to be bent or dislodged.. photo below. I’m getting an error message on the controller “gimbal overloaded, check cover is removed”. The pivot control won’t work either.

I contacted the D1Store (Australia) and the advised that they don’t repair the gimbal, I would have to replace the entire set-up, ie. gimbal and camera, and was quoted $950 AUD.

Is there another way for me to go about fixing this or am I going to need to replace the whole thing?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
View attachment 91526
View attachment 91527

In your second photo, the gap between the camera and gimbal is quite significant.
Have you tried pushing it back together ,it might snap back ?
I guess you have nothing to loose at a camera replacement might be required.

If that does not work, I'd probably send to DJI in Melbourne for a repair quote

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Thanks for you help Iannes. I’ve tried to push it back together but no good. I think it might be bent.

Looks like I’m in for a full replacement camera/gimbal setup. I’ve spoken to two places so far and it seems that the D1 Store will be the most cost effective.

Cheers

Thanks for you help Iannes. I’ve tried to push it back together but no good. I think it might be bent.

Looks like I’m in for a full replacement camera/gimbal setup. I’ve spoken to two places so far and it seems that the D1 Store will be the most cost effective.

Cheers

I guess you have nothing to loose if you have to replace the whole gimbal and camera anyway.

Another way you could try is to place a spludger in the narrowest part the gap and try to widen it, this might line up both sides and allow the cap to go back in straight.
If you can make the gap more even, then it may no longer bind the gimbal and throw an error.

Or

Maybe you can pop out the gimbal and camera , which may give you more leverage to get the displaced gimbal cap back in place.
I think it just needs to be aligned and pushed back into place, it maybe won't go back because it's not aligned.
I think it's just a press fit with the cap having a lip that engages with the camera body

Check out this photo on how the camera body and the gimbal connection points align and then see if it will click back in.

DJI-Mavic-2-Pro-Disassembly-18 - Copy.jpg

This is how easy it is to remove the camera and gimbal

Last edited:
Cheers Iannes, I will definitely give that a go. Hopefully it works! After looking at that video, even if at worst case scenario I need to replace the whole set-up, it looks pretty easy to do. I guess I could just order the replacement and fit it myself?..

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Cheers Iannes, I will definitely give that a go. Hopefully it works! After looking at that video, even if at worst case scenario I need to replace the whole set-up, it looks pretty easy to do. I guess I could just order the replacement and fit it myself?..

The only drawbacks of doing it yourself is the quality of the replacement (ebay china is not a good source) and the loss of warranty

Great suggestion lannes . . . that is the way to go.

Quick aside:
spudger (or sometimes spludger) is a tool that has a wide, flat end shaped like a wedge. It is used to separate plastic components that have been set in using pressure without causing damage.

Reactions: TBJ85
Iannes, I owe you big time, your suggestion has saved me $1000. I spent 5 hours pulling the gimbal apart and putting it back together repeatedly, to test everything I was trying.

After a bit of heavy manipulation on the gimbal arms, I managed to free it up. It’s not pretty.. I’ve got teeth marks all over the gimbal from my pliers, but it now works so who cares. No more error messages!

Iannes, I owe you big time, your suggestion has saved me $1000. I spent 5 hours pulling the gimbal apart and putting it back together repeatedly, to test everything I was trying.

After a bit of heavy manipulation on the gimbal arms, I managed to free it up. It’s not pretty.. I’ve got teeth marks all over the gimbal from my pliers, but it now works so who cares. No more error messages!

Well done, at least you saved the money for another time

What ended up working , is the gimbal cap a press fit or screwed together ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada