DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 double crash!

bumper

Reactions
Night, heading out to see how accurately my new M2 would land on it's H-pad with reflective strips. Going down front porch steps carrying drone, smart controller, helipad and large flashlight, I slipped on ice and of course threw the "least expensive thing" (my M2 - sigh). It had arms unfolded and "flew" about 6' into a block wall and concrete. An inspection showed no discernible damage, so I stupidly decided to fly. Turns out I was wrong about the damage.

Take off was normal, no IMU or other warnings, flew for a few minutes and tried RTH, it worked but was not centered on helipad. Flew for 5 or 6 minutes and the controller display said "landing" even though drone was about 50' up - strange. I increase throttle and it pinwheeled straight down into about 2 inches of snow.

The LF arm was broken about 3/4" from the hinge and that motor was hot to the touch. I'm assuming the arm was failing in flight, and that as it bent slowly upwards, the other motors compensated for as long as they could before the arm failed.

Damage: Broken LF arm with bent hinge pin. RF arm hinge pin sheared (but otherwise undamaged). LR arm torn out of hinge bushing, two props broken, seriously damaged pride. One bruised 75 year old thigh but thankfully no broken bones. Could have been worse. Repair parts were less than $125 (very reasonable I'm thinking) and took a few hours. (I was a Navy ET for 8 years, so am competent repairing stuff.)

kggdHSy.png

Lessons learned. Don't slip on ice when carrying M2. Do a complete inspection (not one in the dark with flashlight) and re-calibrate after dropping. Don't ignore unexpected landing prompts.

Have an hour on it after repair and all is well.

Ouch! - I'm glad your story had a happy (and not too expensive) ending!

Wow! Glad you were not hurt! Ok, I want that micro screwdriver and socket set in the yellow box and that aluminum colored driver on the left side of of your bird - what is it and where did you get it?

good save , glad you are ok and had the skills to fix the Mav,its times like that previous life skills come in handy

Reactions: bumper
good save , glad you are ok and had the skills to fix the Mav,its times like that previous life skills come in handy

did you notice the unsterile conditions of that operating table? Where are the surgical gloves, mask, and why isn’t the patient properly dressed for that surgery!?!?

Last edited:
did you notice the unsterile conditions of that operating table? Where are the surgical gloves and mask?! And why isn’t the patient properly dressed for that surgery!?!?
Clearly you weren't paying attention when the good guy used his Bowie knife to remove the bullet in those old westerns! There, all better! :)

Night, heading out to see how accurately my new M2 would land on it's H-pad with reflective strips. Going down front porch steps carrying drone, smart controller, helipad and large flashlight, I slipped on ice and of course threw the "least expensive thing" (my M2 - sigh). It had arms unfolded and "flew" about 6' into a block wall and concrete. An inspection showed no discernible damage, so I stupidly decided to fly. Turns out I was wrong about the damage.

Take off was normal, no IMU or other warnings, flew for a few minutes and tried RTH, it worked but was not centered on helipad. Flew for 5 or 6 minutes and the controller display said "landing" even though drone was about 50' up - strange. I increase throttle and it pinwheeled straight down into about 2 inches of snow.

The LF arm was broken about 3/4" from the hinge and that motor was hot to the touch. I'm assuming the arm was failing in flight, and that as it bent slowly upwards, the other motors compensated for as long as they could before the arm failed.

Damage: Broken LF arm with bent hinge pin. RF arm hinge pin sheared (but otherwise undamaged). LR arm torn out of hinge bushing, two props broken, seriously damaged pride. One bruised 75 year old thigh but thankfully no broken bones. Could have been worse. Repair parts were less than $125 (very reasonable I'm thinking) and took a few hours. (I was a Navy ET for 8 years, so am competent repairing stuff.)

View attachment 88315

Lessons learned. Don't slip on ice when carrying M2. Do a complete inspection (not one in the dark with flashlight) and re-calibrate after dropping. Don't ignore unexpected landing prompts.

Have an hour on it after repair and all is well.

A very good repair job,

I opened my M2P from below after a crash that burned a motor,
but when I saw that access to the circuit board with all the cables from the motors,
was difficult to access, (would have started to take off and the roof cover).
so I sent it to DJI for repair.

In addition, DJI also found anotther error that I probably caused in a previous crash, which I have shown in a video here in the forum.

$ 350 cost the repair, but judge my surprise when I get my drone back, a brand new drone, how about that?

Reactions: bumper
A very good repair job,

I opened my M2P from below after a crash that burned a motor,
but when I saw that access to the circuit board with all the cables from the motors,
was difficult to access, (would have started to take off and the roof cover).
so I sent it to DJI for repair.

In addition, DJI also found anotther error that I probably caused in a previous crash, which I have shown in a video here in the forum.

$ 350 cost the repair, but judge my surprise when I get my drone back, a brand new drone, how about that?

Correct, access for all four arms requires the removal of the top cover. The front arms also require the removal of the bottom cover to access the antenna plugs.
There are a number of videos on line. One made me cringe - guy was using a Weller soldering gun (transformer type) 100/140 watts . . . definitely not appropriate for work on circuit boards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunadci