DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Enterprise thermal camera parameters

looltvdp

Reactions
Hi
I want to use the thermal camera for mapping
someone knows whats the thermal camera parameters that needs to insert in the gspro app (or any other mapping app). couldnt find it ib the drone manual.
sorry for the bad screenshot.

thanks!

Attachments

• 20190403_170848.jpg
    20190403_170848.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75
I'm not sure the M2ED actually stores EXIF data for thermal images. This was recently added to the camera etc for the M210 but I've not heard of it being included on the Mavic series as the camera resolution is very low (160 IIRC).

CORRECTED information below!!!

Last edited:
I want to use the thermal camera for mapping
None of the mapping service providers such as DroneDeploy or PIX4d are able to process images from the small 160x120 px sensor.
For thermal mapping a minimum sensor size of 336x256 px (even this size is way too small) or 640x512 px must be provided.

Nevertheless:

Image resolution is 160x120 pixel
Image size of sensor: 0.164 [mm] x 0.123 [mm]
Focal length: 20 mm
Minimum shutter speed: 2 sec.
Maximum shutter speed: 4 sec.

I'm not sure the M2ED actually stores EXIF data for thermal images.
EXIF data is stored in the thermal images of a M2ED.
Every shot actually takes 2 images - 1 visual and 1 thermal.

Reactions: mavin and BigAl07
Excellent information. Thanks for the education. Always good to learn and grow :)

Reactions: Keule
None of the mapping service providers such as DroneDeploy or PIX4d are able to process images from the small 160x120 px sensor.
For thermal mapping a minimum sensor size of 336x256 px (even this size is way too small) or 640x512 px must be provided.

Nevertheless:

Image resolution is 160x120 pixel
Image size of sensor: 0.164 [mm] x 0.123 [mm]
Focal length: 20 mm
Minimum shutter speed: 2 sec.
Maximum shutter speed: 4 sec.

thanks!! I will try it right now!

Bad news about M2ED as thermal drone
on Image resolution is 160x120 pixel
it is not compatible in flir
so, for now DJI is not in the class of thermal yet.

Why I Do NOT recommend the DJI mavic 2 enterprise dual thermal drone

Is he right?

Reactions: looltvdp
Is drone depoly even able to control the drone? I thought it couldn’t do waypoints with the thermal camera?

Is there enough detail in those photos for a processor to stitch them together?

Reactions: mavin and BigAl07
Hi, not trying to be ‘clever’, but in my opinion you’re trying to control a drone with an app that isn’t compatible, to perform an automated function which isn’t build into the drone, and expect a quality result the basic build quality can’t deliver. I tend to look at the M2ED as a very decent attempt to deliver a relatively cheap (ish) drone capable of performing basic SAR operations. I have an M2Z for every day use, and an M2ED for very specific jobs.

Late to the thread... but thought I'd throw in a few comments regarding the video within the thread (few posts up) and the stored M2ED images. I purchased a Parrot Anafi Thermal and returned a few days later and purchased a M2ED thinking I'd have some improvements. In aircraft, big improvement but in Thermal... a step backwards.

I was under the assumption the Lepton 3.5 160x120 sensor in both crafts were exactly the same. As noted in above post, the M2ED produces 2 images per shot, one being a static small thermal and the other an RGB; the thermal is basically useless for any post work. Not bad for a small 160 thermal for "live" close range projects but useless for inspections that involve additional Post Dx Work.

To my surprise, the Anafi-Thermal is Advanced Radiometric to the point that it produces 1 image per shot, a JPG-R image. Using FLIR Tool (free version) the image can be fully manipulated like a normal FLIR JPG-R image. In POST Dx work within Flir tools, you can use zone box hi/low, pt temps, linear lines, Delta, etc. You can change color pallets using all the pallets offered within FLIR Tools... which by the way are more than actually offered within Anafi software. The other part I thought was a nice benefit, the FLIR Tools can combine the RGB & Thermal and provide a MSX image. The Anafi RGB is 21 Meg 3x Zoom and the FLIR Tools appears to upscale the Thermal to blend nicely with the RGB image for a decent MSX image that is exportable and printable. Again, looks better in FLIR Tools than in Parrot Software. The Parrot software lacks MSX but does provide the ability to slide the amount of RGB overlay on the FLIR Image.

For those looking for a low cost, small 160 thermal but needing advanced radiometric for Dx work the Parrot Anafi-Thermal will provide in the 160 size at about $1000 less than M2ED; This little craft also has a 180 degree gimbal and 3X Zoom.

Although, it provides advanced radiometric & works with FLIR Tools doesn't make it a better platform all around.
The M2E is a supreme platform compared to the Anafi, the DJI software and 3rd party SW is a huge step ahead of Parrot SW. The transmission "range' is about 1/2 compared to DJI, it's NOT as stable, and getting the package fully connected and ready for flight often takes 2-3 unplug/re-plug-in of cables to get everything to connect. FW update may correct this last issue in time.

I returned the Anafi Thermal to get the "better" M2ED package. I'm now returning the M2ED, and will probably be getting the Anafi-Thermal... again... pondering. Need to check on status of custom Thermal 360 Mavic that @io390 was working on, haven't seen much activity on that since Spring.

I returned the Anafi Thermal to get the "better" M2ED package. I'm now returning the M2ED, and will probably be getting the Anafi-Thermal... again... pondering. Need to check on status of custom Thermal 360 Mavic that @io390 was working on, haven't seen much activity on that since Spring.

Good to hear. We've just started repairing the Anafi. I really like the minimalistic and lightweight design.

Our Boson solution is finished and is now undergoing final tweaking before we release if for sale.

Note however that the Boson sensor is not radiometric.

Cheers

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Good to hear. We've just started repairing the Anafi. I really like the minimalistic and lightweight design.

Our Boson solution is finished and is now undergoing final tweaking before we release if for sale.

Note however that the Boson sensor is not radiometric.

Cheers

View attachment 77178
@io390 , great to hear project is coming along! The photo, the top section looks similar to previous pic... is that final design? You had mentioned previously a redesign, remind me again what that houses.

Looks great, nice design!

I'm curious, why not install the radiometric sensor, cost? Is it bigger than non-radiometeic? Gaining the 360 is a major improvement for live activity. Previously indicated if Stateside platform shipped, would arrive less thermal camera... would that indicate one could install a radiometric?

Any estimated cost at this stage and is it a ship to USA product or are there Dealers in USA?

@io390 , great to hear project is coming along! The photo, the top section looks similar to previous pic... is that final design? You had mentioned previously a redesign, remind me again what that houses.

Looks great, nice design!

I'm curious, why not install the radiometric sensor, cost? Is it bigger than non-radiometeic? Gaining the 360 is a major improvement for live activity. Previously indicated if Stateside platform shipped, would arrive less thermal camera... would that indicate one could install a radiometric?

Any estimated cost at this stage and is it a ship to USA product or are there Dealers in USA?
The housing on top contains our video processing gear - this is here to stay for the moment.

Flir does not make a radiometric version of the Boson sensor, and our target audience (SAR) doesn't really need radiometric capability so it's not a major worry for us just yet. Also we'd have to add a separate SD card slot to store radiometric image files as to get them to save on the drone's original card would involve major, low level firmware hacking. Still, we will add radiometric capability when Flir makes a Radiometric Boson (if they ever do, it's been "coming soon" for the past 2 years).

Note also that this setup only allows recording of one of the video feeds at once. For example, if you are viewing the visual light feed then the pictures/video will be saved on that feed. Likewise if you're viewing the thermal feed then the thermal images only will be recorded. Like I say, this isn't aimed at survey work.

We have a distributor sorted for the US, and pricing is looking around the $5000 mark.

I have heard that Flir are soon going to be releasing a shutterless Boson, which means that the 640 resolution models "should" be the same size (except lens which will be larger) as the 320 models. This should allow our setup to accept a 640 sensor.

Note that this video was taken a week or so ago and we have made improvements since (mainly stopping the visible light camera exposure freaking out when we switch modes).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougcjohn
The housing on top contains our video processing gear - this is here to stay for the moment.

Flir does not make a radiometric version of the Boson sensor, and our target audience (SAR) doesn't really need radiometric capability so it's not a major worry for us just yet. Also we'd have to add a separate SD card slot to store radiometric image files as to get them to save on the drone's original card would involve major, low level firmware hacking. Still, we will add radiometric capability when Flir makes a Radiometric Boson (if they ever do, it's been "coming soon" for the past 2 years).

Note also that this setup only allows recording of one of the video feeds at once. For example, if you are viewing the visual light feed then the pictures/video will be saved on that feed. Likewise if you're viewing the thermal feed then the thermal images only will be recorded. Like I say, this isn't aimed at survey work.

We have a distributor sorted for the US, and pricing is looking around the $5000 mark.

I have heard that Flir are soon going to be releasing a shutterless Boson, which means that the 640 resolution models "should" be the same size (except lens which will be larger) as the 320 models. This should allow our setup to accept a 640 sensor.

Here is a short video clip that roughly shows the setup:
20190704_121419.mp4

Note that this video was taken a week or so ago and we have made improvements since (mainly stopping the visible light camera exposure freaking out when we switch modes).
Fully understand your SAR requirements, and I wasn't aware the Boson didn't have a radiometric sensor. Wow, the impact you'd have in SAR if you provided a 640 Boson in this small package... that would be a game changer for deployment, cost, gear store, etc. A M210 vs a M2 Thermal, that would be a easy decision for many PD's. Does the smaller Boson 640 sensor have the same clarity at extended range compared to the larger sensors in the XT?

For my clarification, without the ability to view both simultaneously the MSX feature is not available and your're working with non-MSX enhanced images... similar to a XT 360.

You're modifying a M2Z or a M2E, was just curious of the top electronics housing in the zone of the plug-in Enterprise components.

Overall it's looking great, you've come a long way with a nice product!

Reactions: io390
Fully understand your SAR requirements, and I wasn't aware the Boson didn't have a radiometric sensor. Wow, the impact you'd have in SAR if you provided a 640 Boson in this small package... that would be a game changer for deployment, cost, gear store, etc. A M210 vs a M2 Thermal, that would be a easy decision for many PD's. Does the smaller Boson 640 sensor have the same clarity at extended range compared to the larger sensors in the XT?

For my clarification, without the ability to view both simultaneously the MSX feature is not available and your're working with non-MSX enhanced images... similar to a XT 360.

You're modifying a M2Z or a M2E, was just curious of the top electronics housing in the zone of the plug-in Enterprise components.

Overall it's looking great, you've come a long way with a nice product!
Cheers, it's been a lot of work so far.

The 640 boson has much the same image quality as the other cores (Vue, Tau etc...) and perhaps slightly better as the Digital Detail Enhancement on the Boson works really well. Turning it off makes it look like looking into a bowl of soup. Only issue is that Boson 640 would add another $3000 or so to the price, at which point it would need some more features to make it viable. The 320 gives us great results for what it is, and the ability to deploy such a small and cheap drone with such a powerful thermal sensor is pretty impressive. I've been able to track down and chase rabbits at night from about 250 feet away. For reference, the Boson 640 is around 2800GBP vs 1300 for the 320.

We're modifying a M2Z due to lower cost (M2E is inexplicably double the cost of M2Z) however we can simply modify our housing and move the accessory port on top of it.

In future, if there is enough demand we could invest into making the processing gear smaller which would remove the need for a top cover piece and also reduce overall cost. We'd need to sell a few hundred of the current units before going that way however.

A point worth noting is that we have included a way to turn off all the LEDs on the drone from the controller, much the same as the "stealth" mode on the M2E.

Image quality will be much the same as the 320 resolution Zenmuse XT, and at present there is no enhancement but it might be possible in future (again, this would be much further down the line and only if we found significant demand).

Overall I think this opens up a new position in the market which is current unfulfilled. There is the Anafi and the M2ED at the lower end of the range (£1500-£2700 ish), and an enormous price jump to the next option which is a M210 with XT2 (£13,000 minimum with a low res XT2 and around £20,000 with a high res XT2 and Z30 etc..), so our solution which combines the thermal quality of the larger drone (almost) with the portability of the cheaper options fits nicely in between at £3900. It's also 1/3rd the cost of a basic M210 thermal setup.

I find DJI's pricing interesting. They own the market completely so they can charge what they like, but consider the following:

The difference between the M2Z and M2E is about £30 in parts, yet the price is doubled. Sure, it's priced for the market but it's still a big markup. The £650 difference between M2E and M2ED basically covers a low quality visible light camera and a thermal sensor which costs £150 in quantity.

The Zenmuse XT2 is a Flir Duo Pro R in a new case with a gimbal attached, yet DJI sell it at double the price of the Duo Pro R. Other than the DJI system integration, the XT2 has no more features than the original Flir standalone camera yet DJI still sell it at over double the price (£12,500 for 9mm 640 XT2 and £5300 for same spec Duo Pro R).

All that is to say, I wish I had DJI's margins! :)

Reactions: TSUPD

amazing project. while it is definitely interesting to have a switchable dual camera solution - would it be doable to make a simpler cheaper one - just a direct swap gimbal with a thermal camera only, but so it would go as a direct replacement of the original gimbal into the existing mavic 2 zoom body with no other modifications needed?

also, of the video processing gear on top - it looks like it sits right above the gps unit - is gps still fully operational in this solution?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis