DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 loses contact with controller for 10-30 seconds after less than 1 minute flight

Bengt

Reactions
My Mavic 2 Zoom is displaying an interesting but quite annoying habit. Around a minute into a flight it sometimes loses the connection with the remote controller. This lasts about 10-30 seconds - sometimes enough for it to start returning to home before it reconnects. After this little "tantrum", I can then re-fly to the same location and way beyond without any further problems. This can be rather scary if I am flying somewhere where I need to have absolute control - like close to water, over a gorge or similar. Since I can continue flying without any problems in the same location and beyond rules out any obstacles or other interference.

I think I can still control it, but since I don't any readings on the remote or on the display, it's very scary since I could fly into things. I usually just let go of the sticks so it stops until it regains full communication again (after about 10-30 seconds).

Any ideas what this could be about, and how to avoid it in the future?

My experience with this is it depends on what device I am using. I purchased a Huawei tablet for the purpose of flying my drone, but experienced random disconnects. I switched to using an iPhone 8 (the pile of crap my employers hand out) and no problems with disconnects. So I have an iPad mini 4 now, and no disconnects whatsoever.

I dislike Apple, so it pains me to recommend using one of their devices. But it's worth looking at what DJI state works with their kit. I'm sure that there are some android devices that are 100% reliable, and some earlier lesser-specced Apple devices that don't work with it.

My Mavic 2 Zoom is displaying an interesting but quite annoying habit. Around a minute into a flight it sometimes loses the connection with the remote controller. This lasts about 10-30 seconds - sometimes enough for it to start returning to home before it reconnects. After this little "tantrum", I can then re-fly to the same location and way beyond without any further problems. This can be rather scary if I am flying somewhere where I need to have absolute control - like close to water, over a gorge or similar. Since I can continue flying without any problems in the same location and beyond rules out any obstacles or other interference.

I think I can still control it, but since I don't any readings on the remote or on the display, it's very scary since I could fly into things. I usually just let go of the sticks so it stops until it regains full communication again (after about 10-30 seconds).

Any ideas what this could be about, and how to avoid it in the future?

Be more specific,

Can you still control the drone with the remote? If yes, then the controller hasn't lost connection with the drone. If you are using the included side cable, inspect the port, the cable end and the device's port to make sure all of those connections are good. Try another cable using the USB A from the controller to the device and see if that helps. Otherwise try another device. BTW when this happens, don't panic, the display on the controller gives you enough information to get the drone back or hit RTH.

However, if the controller has actually lost connection with the drone, you are correctly aiming the antenna and you are under warranty, contact DJI and send it back for repairs. You may have a loose ant connection on the drone or the controller. Check for any damage on the front legs of the drone or the ant on the controller. Lastly, if this is happening in the same location every time, it may be a local phenomena and have nothing to do with your drone.

My experience with this is it depends on what device I am using. I purchased a Huawei tablet for the purpose of flying my drone, but experienced random disconnects. I switched to using an iPhone 8 (the pile of crap my employers hand out) and no problems with disconnects. So I have an iPad mini 4 now, and no disconnects whatsoever.

I dislike Apple, so it pains me to recommend using one of their devices. But it's worth looking at what DJI state works with their kit. I'm sure that there are some android devices that are 100% reliable, and some earlier lesser-specced Apple devices that don't work with it.
I don't have any iPhones, but I don't recall this happening with my (company supplied) Galaxy S10, but I think it might be happening more often with my Galaxy S8+. I need to do some more research though since this is just from memory. Thanks for the suggestion!

Be more specific,

Can you still control the drone with the remote? If yes, then the controller hasn't lost connection with the drone. If you are using the included side cable, inspect the port, the cable end and the device's port to make sure all of those connections are good. Try another cable using the USB A from the controller to the device and see if that helps. Otherwise try another device. BTW when this happens, don't panic, the display on the controller gives you enough information to get the drone back or hit RTH.

However, if the controller has actually lost connection with the drone, you are correctly aiming the antenna and you are under warranty, contact DJI and send it back for repairs. You may have a loose ant connection on the drone or the controller. Check for any damage on the front legs of the drone or the ant on the controller. Lastly, if this is happening in the same location every time, it may be a local phenomena and have nothing to do with your drone.

Hi Lon,
I think it happened a few times when I wasn't watching the drone, but the screen. I will have to do some more testing, but I think that I can still control the drone while the connection to the phone might be lost. Again, I have to test some more before I know. Sorry for not being super specific.

It definitely happens in different locations. (I usually never fly at the same location twice...) It has happened when I have flown over lakes, rivers, fields, trees, ocean, parking lots, at different distances...

I will try using different cables and different devices to see if I can pinpoint the issue. It doesn't happen every time so it unfortunately isn't easily reproducible.

The remote LCD will show "connecting" if it lost connection with the AC.
The wording on the app has a distinction on whether it lost connection with the RC (USB problem likely) or RC with AC.

The remote LCD will show "connecting" if it lost connection with the AC.
The wording on the app has a distinction on whether it lost connection with the RC (USB problem likely) or RC with AC.
That is a good point. I have not seen any warnings or text, which now makes me suspect that it might be the phone freezing up!
Thank you for the hint. I will review this at my next flight.

I had a similar problem about a month ago. The iPad app would disconnect several time during flight but the controller was still connected to my Mavic 2 Pro. After the second time it happened I threw away the cable and bought a new one. No more disconnect problems after several dozen flights.

Reactions: Bengt
I had this issue with a brand new Mavic 2. It turned out it was the official cable connecting the controller to the phone. For some reason it is about 1cm too long which causes kinks. This may have caused a loose connection. Either way, I replaced it and the problem disappeared immediately and has not come back. I now often use a cable that connects into the USB A port on the bottom of the controller, which is also another way of solving the issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143