DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro and iPad mini latency issues

Rick1964

Reactions
Hi. I've been flying a Phantom 3 advanced for 3 years with no problems of any latency on my iPad Mini 7". I bought a Mavic 2 pro a few months ago and am having quite the experience with latency issues on iPad mini. I have a set of DJI goggles RE as well. Have also had complete drone signal loss and video loss in goggles when only 200' away. Was at the San Diego Bay 100' up when it happened. Any advice regarding either case greatly appreciated . Trying to learn to trust this drone. Thanks

Sometimes in the same session I get no latency at all. 5 minutes later I've got a 5 second latency.

OK so my iPad Mini is model A1490. Hope this helps. Thanks

That means it's an iPad Mini 2 which I believe is too slow for the Mavic 2 and the faster iPad Mini 4 is the oldest supported iPad Mini:

iOS V4.3.16
Requires iOS 10.0.0 or later (Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom requires iOS 10.0.2 or later).
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

Reactions: HVYMTL
A lot of it is to do with the hardware but all some is how hot the actual iPad gets. That may account for the different latencies in different flights. As previously stated it is not recommended; although it is possible; to use less than a generation 4 iPad. Your flight experience will vary if you do.

Hi. I've been flying a Phantom 3 advanced for 3 years with no problems of any latency on my iPad Mini 7". I bought a Mavic 2 pro a few months ago and am having quite the experience with latency issues on iPad mini. I have a set of DJI goggles RE as well. Have also had complete drone signal loss and video loss in goggles when only 200' away. Was at the San Diego Bay 100' up when it happened. Any advice regarding either case greatly appreciated . Trying to learn to trust this drone. Thanks
I use an iPad Mini 4 with my Mavic 2 Zoom and have experienced significant latency (5 seconds or so it seems) from time to time as well; I haven't been able to establish the cause of the latency but think it may be related to the video cache in mini. If anyone knows the cause and anything that can be done to minimize it, I'd appreciate your sharing your knowledge. I've considered upgrading to a Mini 5 as a means to reduce, or eliminate the latency as I understand it has a faster processor but if the faster processor will not be a significant improvement I don't want to spend the $.

I’ve only used the iPad mini 5, so can’t give a comparison- sorry, but no latency issues. I get the same experience as my iPhone XS.

Interesting. I’ve used an iPad Air 1 with my P3A and my M2P. This runs the same A7 processor and M7 Motion co-processor as the iPad Mini 2, and I’ve had no delay or overheating issues at all.

I’ve read that warm and sunny weather (30+C/85+f) are when this issue can become apparent.

I use the mini 2 and agree heat causes the most lag. It’s my perception Litchi is a little less processor intensive and can work better when heat is an issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki