DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - first flight issue

Gorlash

Reactions
Okay, I was pretty nervous, but took it out for its first flight this afternoon. Just wanted to launch in my back yard, slowly fly around awhile, get a feel for it.
Our back yard is 57' by about 40', with a fair number of obstacles, but nothing large, and enough space to move safely if I don't fly too fast.
I still have it in BEGINNER mode.

However, I had *constant* OBSTACLE warnings, the entire time that it was out there. I launched from our picnic table, the only nearby objects were the weather-station pole (about 2' away) and a young tree (about 8' away). It initially didn't want to move at all, but once I got it a few feet higher it would *slowly* move away, but only in a couple of directions. And when I wanted to land, I thought I would have to land in the trees to get it to cooperate!! I have a 10'x10' cement surface that I wanted to land on, but it was terrified of objects that were all several feet away or more!!

Is there some way to adjust the sensitivity of this function? It seems to me that it should be dependent upon the speed that it is moving; at 10 mph, yeah, a post 2' away is a threat, but when moving around slowly, it can be ignored... I really hope there is some way to adjust this!

I really hope there is some way to adjust this!
The best way is to find a large open area, clear of trees, buildings and other obstacles.
Your backyard sounds like it is not a very good place to learn to fly.
Flying close to obstacles is probably the #1 cause of crashes.
Fly it where there's nothing to hit and it's very hard to get into trouble.

Reactions: Thomas B and Gindra
Is there some way to adjust the sensitivity of this function? It seems to me that it should be dependent upon the speed that it is moving; at 10 mph, yeah, a post 2' away is a threat, but when moving around slowly, it can be ignored... I really hope there is some way to adjust this!
There is a way to adjust the obstacle avoidance (OA) - but unfortunately, it's by turning it off! As a beginner, I'd really hate to see you do that though because you'll find the OA will get you out of trouble on several occasions as you do your training flights.
I'd second @Meta4 's suggestion that you find a large open park and fly there. Start low and slow and just fly figure-eights in circle and square shapes. It gets you used to the fact that the drone seems to go the opposite way to where you push the stick when it's coming back toward you.
My guess is that although the drone is probably several metres from them, the fences in your back yard, and the obstacles there, will be pretty solid and easily 'seen' by the Mavic. The OA is designed to 'see' even small branches and stop the Mavic from proceeding into them - so what you have in your yard probably sticks out like a sore thumb to the Mavic.

Reactions: Gindra
hmmm... okay, I understand both of your inputs, and will act on them. It didn't even *occur* to me that it might be warning about even more-distant objects!!

And I agree with you, @FoxhallGH ; I definitely *don't* want to turn off OA, though I *do* wish the sensitivity adjusted for speed, but I accept the reality of the situation that I have now.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
hmmm... okay, I understand both of your inputs, and will act on them. It didn't even *occur* to me that it might be warning about even more-distant objects!!

And I agree with you, @FoxhallGH ; I definitely *don't* want to turn off OA, though I *do* wish the sensitivity adjusted for speed, but I accept the reality of the situation that I have now.
One thing to note, there is a 'Tripod' mode that the Mavic can be set into, that's designed to reduce the speed of the drone, and reduce the speed of change on all the axes. That is a great setting to use while you are training yourself, as it gives you loads of time to think ... And remember that the 'Pause' button is your best friend! ?

Reactions: Gindra and Gorlash
The sensors on the M2P are your friends and will keep you out of trouble as a beginner. I have a little over a year experience with mine and they still keep me from some OH **** moments. The warnings are just that, warnings. It will still let you fly until you get about 6 ft from the front or the back, and a little less from the sides, when it will stop moving. If you get the warning, try to figure out what it is warning you for and use caution. After you get more experience and you are flying in P mode only the front and back sensors will be active.

Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: Gorlash
Agreed, I will take all warnings to heart!! I also will check out Tripod mode, which I was just reading about...
I *would* prefer to handle the first few flights right here in my yard, so documents and other things are readily accessible.

Reactions: Camino Ken
+n * x.

I would not adjust a thing. When you get more confidence, you will fly higher and farther from obstacles, and you will WANT the warnings when you get that close (especially at speed).

Chris

My bet is that you will regret it if you turn off OA! I crashed every one of my earlier drones that didn't have it, while I was just getting started. Go to an empty field to learn is the safest way.

Agreed, I will take all warnings to heart!! I also will check out Tripod mode, which I was just reading about...
I *would* prefer to handle the first few flights right here in my yard, so documents and other things are readily accessible.
Don’t get in too much of a hurry to get out of beginner mode. Fly until all the commands to the aircraft... sticks and buttons... are second nature. And read the full, 70 page, only available online manual for your drone. Get it here:

Don’t get in too much of a hurry to get out of beginner mode. Fly until all the commands to the aircraft... sticks and buttons... are second nature. And read the full, 70 page, only available online manual for your drone. Get it here:
Oh!! Thank you for the link to the later manual... I had the earlier V1.4, and a number of elements are not actually discussed very thoroughly. I hope V2.0 is more complete...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929