DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro fly away?

lucroymans

Reactions
Hello, I had a scary fly away last summer which made me very afraid to use my Mavic drone. I downloaded the log but is there anyone who could help me figure out what exactly I did wrong to cause this?

Bit of context: I was taking pictures of a very tall office building. Its situated in fields, but the building itself does consists of a lot of aluminium(I assume) plating.

All was well, my flight seemed to go as planned. I wanted to take a long distance shot so I flew away from the building and positioned my drone pointing straight at the middle and let it hover there. There was quite a bit of wind (tail wind if I recall correctly), but it didn't seem to fight it too hard. I let it hover there, with small input to get the building as symmetrical as possible for my shot. Without any input from the sticks, I suddenly hear the engines rev up, and (still with no input) it shoots forward towards the building at (what seems) full acceleration. I panicked (and tried a full engine cutoff to not to damage any property) and was able to stop it in flight, and land it safely. So I regained control eventually when I used my sticks. But I'm puzzled as to why it just shot forward like that.

I download the flight log here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last input before main 'hover' is at the 4m16 mark. Around 4m18 you see it shooting forward in a straight line without stick input

Apologies for the horrific English...not a native speaker...

Hope to find out what I did wrong...thanks in advance!

Best Luc

In order to find a cause to this the mobile device .DAT log is needed. Go here & read up on how to retrieve it from the mobile device you flew with (read under section 3.) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide the .DAT log that belongs to this flight ends with FLY091.DAT.

Once you have it come back here & attach it in a new post.

In order to find a cause to this the mobile device .DAT log is needed. Go here & read up on how to retrieve it from the mobile device you flew with (read under section 3.) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide the .DAT log that belongs to this flight ends with FLY091.DAT.

Once you have it come back here & attach it in a new post.
Thank you for this info...

Unfortunately, the dat that I find starts at FLY092 :( any idea where I can find it?

I tried DJI Assistent for Mavic to retrieve directly from the drone, but the attempts fail

A couple of points,
1) if the attached screen capture represents your attempt to "(and tried a full engine cutoff to not to damage any property)" you used the wrong position. The correct positions are indicated by the black arrows or on page 59 of the manual.
2) the respone to the CSC position can be switched between two choices. The default choice/option, "breakdown", leaves the decision as to whether or not to stop the motors to the drone even if the pilot has the control sticks in the CSC position. It seems that with the response set to "breakdown" and without an emergency HAVING OCCURRED the drone will NOT stop the motors at the pilots command.

The alternative setting, "Always" will stop the motors AT THE PILOT's COMMAND but the delay period is very short, around 1.2 seconds, see below, and using that setting may lead to accidental motor stops.
I would not fly with the response set to always, it is to easy to trigger an accidental shutdown.
I just tried both setting with a hand held and wobbled M2Z, attached are relevant plots.

With regards to the DAT Slup requested, have a look in the MCDatFlightRecords which is in the FlightRecord where you likely found the .txt flight log.

Attachments

• csc.png
    csc.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CSC setting M2Z.png
    CSC setting M2Z.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • M2Z csc breakdown vs always delay 1.2sec DAT.png
    M2Z csc breakdown vs always delay 1.2sec DAT.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 13
  • M2Z csc always delay 1.2sec.png
    M2Z csc always delay 1.2sec.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 13
A couple of points,
1) if the attached screen capture represents your attempt to "(and tried a full engine cutoff to not to damage any property)" you used the wrong position. The correct positions are indicated by the black arrows or on page 59 of the manual.
2) the respone to the CSC position can be switched between two choices. The default choice/option, "breakdown", leaves the decision as to whether or not to stop the motors to the drone even if the pilot has the control sticks in the CSC position. It seems that with the response set to "breakdown" and without an emergency HAVING OCCURRED the drone will NOT stop the motors at the pilots command.

The alternative setting, "Always" will stop the motors AT THE PILOT's COMMAND but the delay period is very short, around 1.2 seconds, see below, and using that setting may lead to accidental motor stops.
I would not fly with the response set to always, it is to easy to trigger an accidental shutdown.
I just tried both setting with a hand held and wobbled M2Z, attached are relevant plots.

With regards to the DAT Slup requested, have a look in the MCDatFlightRecords which is in the FlightRecord where you likely found the .txt flight log.
Thanks for your feedback and help!

Regarding 1: I quickly tried to regain controle of the flight, hence the sticks position you found...I noticed the drone reacted almost immediately to my input, so I'm glad I did the engine cut off wrong to begin with ;)

2 thats very interesting info - I didn't' know that

I'm afraid that MCDatFlightRecords is empty :( I guess I can't give you guys the info now that you need to help me out...bummer.

What controller do you have, RC1A, RC1B or the smart controller?
If the RC1A do you sync your logs, if so, switch syncing off. I believe it deletes the DATs from the phone.
I am not sure what happens with the smart controller.
The RC1B does not create DAT's on the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
What controller do you have, RC1A, RC1B or the smart controller?
If the RC1A do you sync you logs, if so, switch syncing off. I believe it deletes the DATs from the phone.
I am not sure what happens with the smart controller.
The RC1B does not create DAT's on the phone.
RC1A - I read here that the GO4 app may delete files after it uploads them to the DJI cloud. Is there a way to access the DJI server to check if my flight data might still be there? I tried syncing via the app, but that just erased everything that was still on the phone ;)

That is why I do not sync and why I back the logs up to computer.
I have read that DJI will send you a DAT if you ask for it but precisely what you have to do I do not know.

That is why I do not sync and why I back the logs up to computer.
I have read that DJI will send you a DAT if you ask for it but precisely what you have to do I do not know.
I'm learning a lot here today =) I'll contact DJI and try to get that .dat file from my records...thanks for all the help so far

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser