DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro IMU Calibration

How slow are you shooting noosaguy? I get blurry images if speed > 1.6s I have seen the same results with my M1P, P4P, and P4Pv2

Here are 2 (rapidly taken) consecutive hovering images of our house (not hyperlapse) shot today in light wind. They were layered in PSCC and the top image reduced to 50% transparency so that you can see how much the M2P has moved between exposures. One thing that mystifies me is that there is very little lateral movement at the top of the frame (is it the extra distance?) but at the bottom there is quite a lot of lateral shift.
How on earth can you get a long exposure with this sort of movement?

Stability.jpg

Last edited:
In addition, here'a test Hyperlapse I did the other day to test stability. Wind no more than 15km per hour (on the ground anyway.) Height was around 60 metres. No amount of stabilisation could fix it.

Are you using 3/5 frames Burst Mode? Don't manually trigger the shot. After the shots, the gimbal unlocks causing minor image shift.
I normally see the following shift with my other birds:
With the M2P ... 6-8 pixels
With the M1P ... 12-14 pixels
With the P4Pv2 ... 6-8 pixels

I'm sorry to say, you may have a bad one mate.

3 Image stacks (open as layers in PS) - Auto-Align All layers
The white strip is the between shutter shift. The black border just to make it easier to see.
1540969806121.png

Final results
DJI_0833.png

Reactions: noosaguy
Are you using 3/5 frames Burst Mode? Don't manually trigger the shot. After the shots, the gimbal unlocks causing minor image shift.

The white strip is the between shutter shift. The black border just to make it easier to see.
View attachment 51896

Final results
View attachment 51897
Firstly let me say it's a nice image. Great autumn colours. And thanks for contributing.
No I didn't use the burst mode because I didn't realise so thanks for the tip.
I didn't attempt to 'auto align' in PS because it couldn't possibly do it with the differences in lateral shift from top of frame to bottom.
I'm questioning whether this might be exacerbated by the close distance to subject?

I think you got a bad copy. I’ve managed some pretty sharp multisecond photos even with wind warnings popping up constantly. I don’t say that to make you feel bad, but to encourage you to get it fixed by DJI if your calibration doesn’t fix it.

So how do you reckon I could document the problem and bring it to DJI's attention? One of the major reasons I bought the M2P was for Hyperlapses and so far I haven't been able to produce one without so much instability I get motion sickness watching it.

View attachment 51896

Final results
View attachment 51897

Wow! Where is this?

So how do you reckon I could document the problem and bring it to DJI's attention? One of the major reasons I bought the M2P was for Hyperlapses and so far I haven't been able to produce one without so much instability I get motion sickness watching it.

Go out and shoot a hyperlapse and send DJI the video. I sometimes get unwanted yaw movement while doing hyperlapse in course lock, and free mode. It pretty much renders the hyperlapse unusable. Not so unstable as you describe but constantly yawing, usually in one direction until the frame is totally off from a composition standpoint. It may be that the compass is not perfectly calibrated. It did improve with a calibration, but then there is slight left and right yaw visible in the hyperlapse. Here is the video after calibration that has left and right yaw. It is minor but still very visible in the final product. I was shooting in course lock

Reactions: noosaguy
Go out and shoot a hyperlapse and send DJI the video. I sometimes get unwanted yaw movement while doing hyperlapse in course lock, and free mode. It pretty much renders the hyperlapse unusable. Not so unstable as you describe but constantly yawing, usually in one direction until the frame is totally off from a composition standpoint. It may be that the compass is not perfectly calibrated. It did improve with a calibration, but then there is slight left and right yaw visible in the hyperlapse. Here is the video after calibration that has left and right yaw. It is minor but still very visible in the final product. I was shooting in course lock

Thanks Steve, mine yaws as well as varying in height by up to a foot is my guess. Did you watch the full size video I posted on Youtube? The small embedded version looks quite acceptable but when you see full 4K... Aggggghhhh!

I watched yours on Vimeo and the yaw is quite noticeable but it seems stable in altitude at least. Mine are out both ways.
There's a bloke (Matt) from Blue Mantle Films that does a very good tutorial. I emailed him and he told me...
1) 20% of his Hyperlapses are unusable.
2) Avoid being too close to your subject or too low.
3) Try to avoid flying straight ahead or in reverse because it exacerbated the movement.

See here...

Last edited:
When I do hyperlapse, with ground wind > 10mph, I also get the jerky motion. But I run it though warp stabilizer then it's OK.

I had the same issue! 51 Drones was spot on. After waiting about 10 seconds I just flipped it to its next position, boom switched to next page, continued process and completed IMU calibration!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803