DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Lost Propeller

zgoods

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Just got back from an AM flight in the Detroit area, everything was fine on my first two batteries but problems occurred on the third! Took off fine and was up for about 2 minutes at 100 feet taking some pictures of a building when I heard something that sounded off. The drone was suddenly tilted sideways and it seemed like I could still control it a bit. I took a screen record of the flight path and you can see it went up to 160ft and took off horizontal at 54mph! Luckily it's not a heavily populated area like my first two batteries and landed in a backyard.

Amazingly it still appears to work, the gimbal calibrated with no issues upon restarting it. Upon investigation of the crash site, I was able to find three propeller sets, two still intact, but the third was broken off with some pieces still on the drone arm. Since the fourth propeller is nowhere to be found I assume it came off mid-flight.

I am concerned about flying this same drone again without knowing 100% the issue, I do have a care package so I could send it in. Has this happened to you? Would you fly it again?

Flight Record

Just got back from an AM flight in the Detroit area, everything was fine on my first two batteries but problems occurred on the third! Took off fine and was up for about 2 minutes at 100 feet taking some pictures of a building when I heard something that sounded off. The drone was suddenly tilted sideways and it seemed like I could still control it a bit. I took a screen record of the flight path and you can see it went up to 160ft and took off horizontal at 54mph! Luckily it's not a heavily populated area like my first two batteries and landed in a backyard.
If your drone loses a propeller, you cannot control it at all.
It spirals straight down to the ground and that's it.
There's no way it could take off anywhere horizontally with a prop missing.
The prop was probably damaged in the crash.
Taking off sideways at speed is an indication of a yaw error.
If you post your flight data, that should confirm.
Also describe the spot where you launched the drone.

To post flight data ..
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file.

Thanks! I tried pulling the DAT off the drone but had no luck. Wow, this report is crazy.

Flight Data

Suburban area, next to many vacant lots though. There is a cell tower at the end of the block.

...it went up to 160ft and took off horizontal at 54mph!
Somehow, I find it interesting that somehow, this drone is malfunctioning and achieving speeds of 50+ mph. Does that mean that it has the capability but DJI is limiting it? I know that it'll probably be hard to work out such speeds considering the gimbal and all, but it's just something interesting to think about I guess.

Wow, this report is crazy.
Here's what that data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
There are error messages that are saying you had hardware failures involving the IMU.
Switched to Backup IMU
Navigation System Redundancy Switch; Other (8)
IMU attitude error. Please restart the aircraft.; Other (8)
There is a cell tower at the end of the block.
The incident had nothing to do with a cell tower.

Here's what that data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
There are error messages that are saying you had hardware failures involving the IMU.
Switched to Backup IMU
Navigation System Redundancy Switch; Other (8)

The incident had nothing to do with a cell tower.
I didn't think so, just describing the area.

That doesn't show the first error message it had. What is this "Not Enough Force/ESC Error"1601399073718.png

Thanks! I tried pulling the DAT off the drone but had no luck. Wow, this report is crazy.

Flight Data

Suburban area, next to many vacant lots though. There is a cell tower at the end of the block.
It's no need to trying to pull the AC DAT log ... it's not readable for anyone besides DJI.

This smells hardware malfunction all over ... at 97,3sec into the flight the AC suddenly speeds away. Comparing the GPS & the IMU velocities from there showing a big deviation from that point ... also note how erratic the height reading gets. At 102 sec the FC commands autolanding ... and you do the same at 117sec through the app.

To dig deeper the DAT log stored in the mobile device you flew with is needed ... it's the one ending with FLY096.DAT. Read on how to retrieve it in my earlier attached link under section 3. (post #3) Attach it then to a new post here.

1601398544979.png

Yeah, it was wild watching this thing hoping it didn't crash into a house.

Unfortunately, no data there like the steps say is possible. I contacted DJI to open a case, this is already a refurb I got from them in February. My original one had gimbal issues. Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: slup
Hey everyone,

Amazingly it still appears to work, the gimbal calibrated with no issues upon restarting it. Upon investigation of the crash site, I was able to find three propeller sets, two still intact, but the third was broken off with some pieces still on the drone arm. Since the fourth propeller is nowhere to be found I assume it came off mid-flight.

I am concerned about flying this same drone again without knowing 100% the issue, I do have a care package so I could send it in. Has this happened to you? Would you fly it again?

Flight Record
I’ve never lost a prop but did have a propulsion issue that caused the drone to flip and fall from 272 feet agl. I would be too concerned while flying it in the future. Maybe at low heights and putting it through some rigorous maneuvers to see how it reacts. I kinda hate to ask but we’re you flying with DJI props? I have flown with non DJI props because they were about half the price but decided that isn’t a smart thing since who knows where in China they came from. Could have been made in some kids room with a 3d printer. I now use Master Air Screws on all my drones. American made by a company with an impeccable reputation.

Somehow, I find it interesting that somehow, this drone is malfunctioning and achieving speeds of 50+ mph. Does that mean that it has the capability but DJI is limiting it? I know that it'll probably be hard to work out such speeds considering the gimbal and all, but it's just something interesting to think about I guess.

Probably got a significant "boost" from prevailing winds...
Maximum speed from AC, plus boost from winds = "Ludicrus Speed"..

Yes, the drone is physically capable of greater speed than normal.
Probably got a significant "boost" from prevailing winds...
Maximum speed from AC, plus boost from winds = "Ludicrus Speed"..
No, it has nothing to do with wind.
Rapid acceleration beyond normal speeds is one of the common characteristics of yaw error incidents and other issues with IMU problems.

Reactions: sharkface
if it is jailbroke you can make em go 62mph they say?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60