DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro made a RTH landing to a water

Jackah

Reactions
Hi!
I had a Mavic 2 Pro, about 1,2 years old one. I was flying with it close to me, close to a home point because battery were low, under 19%. Suddenly it started to land to a water and in program it said NA and i couldn't see the map. I tried to do what i can but nothing helps. I jump to water, tried to safe it but it sunked.
I send all the needed information to a Dji. After analyzing all the information, their answer was this:
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode; There was 19 % battery remaining when the aircraft took off;
2. Flight Time T=02:00, Relative Height H=4.2 m, Distance to Home Point D=2.6 m, the battery was 12 %, RTH was triggered due to the low battery level, the aircraft switched to landing mode directly since its distance to the home point was less than 5 m;
3. T=02:28, H=0 m, D=2.6 m, the aircraft landed into the water and the flight record ended;

To me, this sounds really weird. Like usually it comes to a home, when battery is 20% or less. I don't know, can i change this?
Also, do you know anything about this rule, that if distance to a home point is less than 5 meter / 15 feet, it lands straight to a down, not to a home point?
And distance from home point to a place where it landed, is close to 12 meter / 36 feet, not like the analyzist said.
So they didn't offer new drone to me, only 15% discount, when buying new one. I must say I'm not happy about this.

Reactions: KB9Radio
Hi!
I had a Mavic 2 Pro, about 1,2 years old one. I was flying with it close to me, close to a home point because battery were low, under 19%. Suddenly it started to land to a water and in program it said NA and i couldn't see the map. I tried to do what i can but nothing helps. I jump to water, tried to safe it but it sunked.
I send all the needed information to a Dji. After analyzing all the information, their answer was this:
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode; There was 19 % battery remaining when the aircraft took off;
2. Flight Time T=02:00, Relative Height H=4.2 m, Distance to Home Point D=2.6 m, the battery was 12 %, RTH was triggered due to the low battery level, the aircraft switched to landing mode directly since its distance to the home point was less than 5 m;
3. T=02:28, H=0 m, D=2.6 m, the aircraft landed into the water and the flight record ended;

To me, this sounds really weird. Like usually it comes to a home, when battery is 20% or less. I don't know, can i change this?
Also, do you know anything about this rule, that if distance to a home point is less than 5 meter / 15 feet, it lands straight to a down, not to a home point?
And distance from home point to a place where it landed, is close to 12 meter / 36 feet, not like the analyzist said.
So they didn't offer new drone to me, only 15% discount, when buying new one. I must say I'm not happy about this.
Hi there & welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss ... but all this is clearly described in the full 69 page user manual which you can download here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic_2_Pro_Zoom_User_Manual_v2.0_en_20191211.pdf

From page 15 ...
1594803178746.png
From page 18 ...
1594803202069.png

If you still have doubts about the distance between the recorded home point (& that's not where you as a person happens to be standing) and the M2P when the autoland started you need to share your mobile device .TXT log ... it's recorded there. Go here & read up on how to retrieve the .TXT log from the mobile device you flew with, read under section 3. --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide , then attach it to a new post in this thread.

The within 20m of the home point caught me out too but with a phantom 3 and fortunately I had plenty of battery life left so could halt the RTH.
Did you recover the drone and did it go into fresh or salt water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: E90RAW
Hi!

Welcome to the forums and sorry it is under these conditions.

However, it seems this was totally pilot error and thus there is no recourse with DJI. Actually if the MP is older than 1 year, it would be out of warranty and even if it was purely a drone issue, it still would not be replaced.

The post by @slup was perfect in describing the issues at play here. Recurring errors that we see on these forums all the time are:
  • Don't fly with a low battery level. EVER. Always start out your flight with a 100% charge. Always have a large safety factor in place. Personally I always try to land and finish using a specific battery by the time it reaches 30% charge. You took off with 19% battery and that was a mistake.
  • Always read the entire manual and know everything about how the drone operates under different conditions. Know the safety procedures and how the drone is programmed to behave. You did not fully know how the RTH procedure works and it was a costly mistake.
  • Know how the Home Point is recorded and never take off without having it set properly. Without the flight logs we can't tell where the home point was, but I would tend to think that DJI has properly interpreted them. If you feel the distance between home point and drone was different, then either you misjudged the distance or you moved (walked) from the home point.
If you post your flight logs here, one of the experts can look it over and confirm.

Reactions: AMRE2ME2 and E90RAW
Hi!

Sounds about right to me man I sure wish people would read the manual it would save so so many heartaches.

When I sell a drone, RTH is covered extensively before they leave. One new pilot took off before GPS homepoint lock then panicked and hit RTH while still close. Clipped a house and crashed. Tried to blame me until I explained all of his mistakes. He then asked if I had insurance on his drone. Lol.
Sadly, all within 2 hrs after the sale. It’s now repaired ($200) and flying but he had to learn the Hard way.

Sorry for your loss. Would have been a different ending if not for the water. Lesson learned, hope you try again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair