DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - night video / photo preview

SDeMaio

Reactions
Hi - I'm trying to figure out how to record what I see on my screen at night. Basically, when I'm in photo mode, it looks phenomenal on the screen with the right settings, but as soon as I switch to video mode, it's pitch black with a couple of the brighter lights poking up here and there.

But the Mavic is showing me that it's fully capable of seeing perfectly at night, and I simply want to record exactly what I see when flying around in photo mode. It looks great - I want a video just like that...

Any way to do this (outside of literally screen recording)? I can't seem to get anywhere near anything close to what I see when I'm photo mode.

Thanks so much,
Scott

Make sure you in the Pro Mode to use the setting for the video an not just using Auto Settings.
Than you should be able to dial in the view but it will not be exactly the same framing as the Photo shows when switching to video mode.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Hi - I'm trying to figure out how to record what I see on my screen at night. Basically, when I'm in photo mode, it looks phenomenal on the screen with the right settings, but as soon as I switch to video mode, it's pitch black with a couple of the brighter lights poking up here and there.

But the Mavic is showing me that it's fully capable of seeing perfectly at night, and I simply want to record exactly what I see when flying around in photo mode. It looks great - I want a video just like that...

Any way to do this (outside of literally screen recording)? I can't seem to get anywhere near anything close to what I see when I'm photo mode.

Thanks so much,
Scott
Are you using the same F stop+shutter speed and ISO in video mode as you are in photo mode?

I think he means what he sees live on his Phone or connected device.
There is a setting in the Go4App which shows you a brighter screen..
I'll be back when I have found it. It must be in the camera settings.

Sorry I still can't find how to show it. I am looking for the square box in the image below.
I think it is for when you are using ND filters which darkens the photo view.
If you want to add colour to the viewer you touch the box and artificial colour is added to the controller view.
1661175646776.png
but how do you invoke that square box? ?

Oops! Found it!
You have to use 'Camera View Coding' H265 and color DLog-M.
Because DLog-M shows very little color. The square box control is invoked and shown so that you can add false color to the viewer. (no added color to the recording but just to the in flight live view).

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I fully understand the scenario and question, but I'll take a stab at it.

The settings for photo and video as you know are independent of each other. When you set the photo parameters and shift to the video the photo settings stay where you left them. So when you switch from one to the other, you might (probably will) have to reset whatever mode you're in to match the current lighting conditions. You didn't say if you're in auto or manual exposure modes.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

To clarify, what I'm talking about is setting the iso and shutter speed and getting what is a great photo preview on the iPad. I can fly around with this view and it looks fantastic. But it's set at like 2 seconds shutter speed or whatever - obviously not a setting that would be available in video mode.

But, it let's me know that the Mavic is at least CAPABLE of recording in this scenario. Though, going into video mode and putting it on manual, there is no way to get even close to as bright of a view - it's nearly pitch black.

Wondering if there is something I'm missing. Or, is a screen recording app and OSD in the video just all that can be done to record that beautiful, bright, photo preview mode?

Thank you!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

To clarify, what I'm talking about is setting the iso and shutter speed and getting what is a great photo preview on the iPad. I can fly around with this view and it looks fantastic. But it's set at like 2 seconds shutter speed or whatever - obviously not a setting that would be available in video mode.

But, it let's me know that the Mavic is at least CAPABLE of recording in this scenario. Though, going into video mode and putting it on manual, there is no way to get even close to as bright of a view - it's nearly pitch black.

Wondering if there is something I'm missing. Or, is a screen recording app and OSD in the video just all that can be done to record that beautiful, bright, photo preview mode?

Thank you!
I believe the slowest(gathers most light)for video is 1/30 second.You will have to add 7 stops to your exposure to have a video exposing at the equivalent of 2 seconds.If your F stop is wide open at F/2.8 ISO 100 2 seconds you would need for video F/2.8 1/30 second ISO 12,800 and I believe the M2P goes to is 6400.You may be able to brighten it a bit in editing.Footage will be grainy a bit like a surveillance camera from a few years back.

Last edited:
I believe the slowest(gathers most light)for video is 1/30 second.You will have to add 7 stops to your exposure to have a video exposing at the equivalent of 2 seconds.If your F stop is wide open at F/2.8 ISO 100 2 seconds you would need for video F/2.8 1/30 second ISO 12,800 and I believe the M2P goes to is 6400.You may be able to brighten it a bit in editing.Footage will be grainy a bit like a surveillance camera from a few years back.
Thank you.

Slightly more clarity - I'm not talking about photos I take with 2 second exposure - I'm talking about the live preview shown on the screen when in that mode. It's not actually exposing for 2 seconds - it's just on that setting, which makes the preview look great. Going up to 8 seconds in the settings is way too bright in this scenario in the live preview.

I just don't get why it can't record what I see on the screen... I can fly around all I want in that mode and it looks really good. I just want my recording to be exactly what I see. It's clearly capable of exposing enough to accomplish this, but it won't do it in video mode.

Maybe I'll make a video and post it on YouTube showing exactly what I mean - just to avoid any doubt that I'm explaining myself correctly.

I really appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Slightly more clarity - I'm not talking about photos I take with 2 second exposure - I'm talking about the live preview shown on the screen when in that mode. It's not actually exposing for 2 seconds - it's just on that setting, which makes the preview look great. Going up to 8 seconds in the settings is way too bright in this scenario in the live preview.

I just don't get why it can't record what I see on the screen... I can fly around all I want in that mode and it looks really good. I just want my recording to be exactly what I see. It's clearly capable of exposing enough to accomplish this, but it won't do it in video mode.

Maybe I'll make a video and post it on YouTube showing exactly what I mean - just to avoid any doubt that I'm explaining myself correctly.

I really appreciate the help.
In photo mode you are viewing what a 2 second exposure would give you for a still photograph.If you are set to 2 seconds F/2.8,ISO 100 in that photo mode you would need to set your video setting at 1/30 sec F/2.8 ISO 12,800 to get the same brightness.Since the video only goes to ISO 6400 you would get a somewhat underexposed video that would be grainy due to having to use the ISO 6400.The main problem is that video will not record below 1/30 second.What you see on the screen is a preview of the still photo you would get at the 2 second setting which you cannot set for video.Try setting video at ISO 6400 F/2.8 1/30 second and you should see a recognizable scene of low quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27