DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro now (black Friday sale) or wait for possible further price drop when 3 is released?

Horus303

Reactions
Winter here is brutal and flying a drone I'm just getting to know is not a great idea (meaning I can wait till January to see about the 3 no harm done). I don't think the 3 will have a wow difference to make the 2 obsolete and my guess is I will STILL opt for the 2 then,
So my question you say? best strategy for price I guess: with all this trade war stuff and possible prices going up it seems reasonable to take the black Friday discounts now, but on the other hand is anyone expecting the 2 price to drop when the 3 is out? and by how much? the Pro 2 is down to ~1360 on DJI website for black Friday, do you think a significantly lower price is expected when/if the 3 comes out?
Would love to hear your take on this

I dont know viking, it's all rumors at this time but since I can wait until the end of winter I dont have much to lose (except the current discount!!:))

Hi Horus,
When I heard the rumor of the Mavic 3 a month ago I had the same thoughts. I reached out to a fellow that writes weekly news about UAVs for the past 5 years and asked him his opinion. He explained to me that the end of January for a newer model was just that, a rumor(and not a very well founded one I found out after some more conversations). So my opinion is that to take advantage of the holiday pricing since it seems fair vs value granted. I hope this helps.
Blue skies, from SoCal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvt
Hi Horus,
When I heard the rumor of the Mavic 3 a month ago I had the same thoughts. I reached out to a fellow that writes weekly news about UAVs for the past 5 years and asked him his opinion. He explained to me that the end of January for a newer model was just that, a rumor(and not a very well founded one I found out after some more conversations). So my opinion is that is to take advantage of the holiday pricing since it seems fair vs value granted. I hope this helps.
Blue skies, from SoCal.
thank you! I agree, a rumor is a rumor and no matter what we do we will be waiting for something to come up next, the cycle never ends!

Reactions: Skyflyer129
I would get the current generation, the next ones will be locked down so tight DJi may as well rent it to you.
Any new regulations will be implementable from China and it won't be possible to fly if you aren't connected at least once a month for enforced updates.
Winter isn't impossible to use it provided not seriously snowing or windy it will be OK to around -10C anyway.
You can sit in a vehicle with heat on if you like. Some even fly from the porch or settee.

How many do you want ... I think it compensates even with shipping ... ????????

Attachments

• 2019-11-29 17_29_17-Dji Mavic 2 Pro + Smart Controller Comprar online al mejor precio en.png
    2019-11-29 17_29_17-Dji Mavic 2 Pro + Smart Controller Comprar online al mejor precio en.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Horus303
From what I hear the 3 will have ADB=S on it to meet new laws,
From what I understand ADS-B will be required only for manned planes not unmanned drones?
It’s hard to imagine that they will render all types of drones obsolete.
just curious if anyone knows the answer to this: is ADS-B (or airsense in DJI lingo) a software feature that can be updated or it is a hardware module?

Historically, DJI holds out on new releases until just after their competitors releases a new competitive model. EVO 2 according to source will be releasing next month or shortly after. With it's specs, 3 interchangable cameras including IR, no NFZ or geo locks, it will definitely be a threat to the Mavic series. So I am sure if EVO 2 does release the Mavic 3 will be shortly after.

For those interested, here is the link to the Evo 2 manual and spec shets so you can read up on your own.

https://fccid.io/2AGNTMC2409A?fbclid=IwAR3o2YzeGpYWWmb6d6Bzab90iyZpn9UNEJUalKZGRD4eKPAtCp5cOsyeFbg

thank you! I agree, a rumor is a rumor and no matter what we do we will be waiting for something to come up next, the cycle never ends!
There is another thread on here called “A man walks into a DJI store”, and it has some additional good insights regarding your question.
Blue skies from SoCal

From what I understand ADS-B will be required only for manned planes not unmanned drones?
Yes, the FAA has mandated that manned aircraft will (with minor exceptions) will be required to have an ADS-B Out radio by January 1st, 2020.
just curious if anyone knows the answer to this: is ADS-B (or airsense in DJI lingo) a software feature that can be updated or it is a hardware module?
The ADS-B In radio that DJI will using is a new hardware component. The existing Phantom and Mavic lines do not have a radio that supports ADS-B In.

Reactions: Horus303
I live in Italy and soon (July 2020) EASA new regulation will be implemented... An unique regulation for all euorpe countries..
In this new regulation there will be 4 classes of new CE marks for drones (if you want to sell a product in EUROPE you need the CE mark).
Consider that these 4 categories are not well expressed yet.. And all drones without new CE mark after 2022 will fly in the same category of drones >25Kg!
This would be a badass for all costumers that will buy a new drone >250gr without the new CE mark! With a drone <250gr you would fly almost everywhere....
So I think that DJI will wait the new regulation and sell the M3 directly with new CE mark on it!

M3P Will be launched along w the very needed phantom 5 that was coming out 2 years ago
All speculation...now would be a good time to buy a m2p
i don’t see the price dropping any further in the immediate future

Reactions: anotherlab
Just picked up a M2P w /controller, Fly More kit, 64gb MicroSD card, landing pad, ND Filter kit, VR goggles and an extended warranty for $1699.... no tax , free shipping from a site called Beach Camera.. couldn't pass it up. Have a Skydio ordered as well.

With DJI affiliate account it would have been $2100 just for the drone and controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy