DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro RTH not accurate

The M2 was far enough off long b4 it could see the pad - if there was one. So it has to be a GPS issue.

I’m curious once your aircraft stops overhead at what it thinks is the homepoint via GPS, how far away horizontally would you say it is from the homepoint?

I ask because mine does the same thing and I would say it’s generally off in the 5 to 10 foot range when it stops above me. But, it clearly switches from GPS to visual immediately thereafter and corrects until it’s happy with the trajectory to the homepoint. It then makes minute adjustments on the way down for wind (and perhaps fine tunes the visual as well, I don’t know,) yaws around to the initial heading, and out of the dozen or so I’ve experienced so far, the aircraft has landed less than 6 inches from its starting point right on heading.

KB

Reactions: cdubNga
Great info. I tried again and found out I pushed the wrong button previously. This time it landed a lot closer, but still not like my P3S. I need to tet more in open space. I was in my driveway.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Great info. I tried again and found out I pushed the wrong button previously. This time it landed a lot closer, but still not like my P3S. I need to tet more in open space. I was in my driveway.
Go back and look at post #59.
How well does your driveway comply with point D?
Is your driveway plain concrete - or does it have a recognisable pattern or texture?

A nice rebar array at the takeoff point always ensures precision landing.

That was TOO FUNNY, SAR.

Re. the original poster...

I had a very close call (with an M2P,) taking off from a concrete driveway that induced a compass error unbeknownst to me. Luckily, I got her back but it could just as easily have been a flyaway. Und zo, thanks to the super smart folks on this Forum, I learned the error of my ways and now, I will never takeoff from a concrete surface. *** BEWARE ***

(For those who have done this without issue using the original MP, so did I, but clearly the M2 series aircraft are much more sensitive to magnetic interference.)

Tried precision landing for the first time on MP2 and all I can say is frikkin amazing.. I put markers on side, front and rear and took off 2 diff times and RTH...

I dont even think it was off by an 1/4 inch. The adjustments it makes front the point of landing is non stop till perfect landing.

Very impressed. Much more precise over MPP, MP1 and Mav air.

Reactions: cdubNga
Here's a short clip of rth with precision landing. Right at 0.22 seconds you'll see me pause mid air at almost 400 ft altitude and initiate rth. My landing pad is made of 4 interlocking foam pads i bought at walmart. It was off by ~3 inches.

Last edited:
I've had no issues with PL when I tried it on 11/25, but today I couldn't get it to work. On first flight it almost worked, as it changed heading before starting to land, but was still too far off the mark where it might hit nearby trees behind me before it would get to the point of fine-tuning the landing. Almost caused it to land into the trees in trying to correct it.

Other times it didn't look like it captured the landing target for PL. For one thing, it was a bit breezy so on takeoff, it shifted to the left of the landing pad by about a foot.

Another interesting thing about landing, sometimes it says my landing pad is unsuitable for landing. Most of the time it had just landed so it doesn't do anything, but once it hopped off the landing pad and into the grass.

..but once it hopped off the landing pad and into the grass.

Amazing and I sure don’t remember reading about that feature in the manual but then, without my watch, I wouldn’t remember what day of the week it is. :) I’m going to go check the manual now.

This is quite an old thread but I have recently experienced a reduction in accuracy of the RTH. I had the Mavic 2 in January 2019 and it was perfect in the UK within an inch on the RTH always, I'm currently in France on holiday and it's landing around 2 Metres away always in the same direction from the TOP. I wondered if there was some sort of compass interference in the area. I believe the Mavic 2 now has the accurate visual sensing for landing according to my manual and I am using a brightly coloured and marked launch pad.

Make sure you;re using the correct technique for precision landing when you take off (Climb slowly, vertically until at least 20-30ft before rotating or moving laterally).
Most precision landing failures are people failing to do the above.

Also maybe recalibrate the IMU, compass and vision sensors.

This is quite an old thread but I have recently experienced a reduction in accuracy of the RTH. I had the Mavic 2 in January 2019 and it was perfect in the UK within an inch on the RTH always, I'm currently in France on holiday and it's landing around 2 Metres away always in the same direction from the TOP. I wondered if there was some sort of compass interference in the area. I believe the Mavic 2 now has the accurate visual sensing for landing according to my manual and I am using a brightly coloured and marked launch pad.
If you are using GPS only, accuracy will be within approx 2 metres (and sometimes more).
There is a separate Precision Landing feature that uses optical technology and can put the drone within inches.
If you don't have Precision Landing enabled or the landing spot doesn't fulfil the requirements for PL, it will go back to GPS only.

Recalibrating IMU or Compass will not make any difference so don't waste your time.

Thanks for your reply, I'll see if I had precision landing switched off.
mavic flyers seem to like to let RTH do the landing for them.
Really RTH landing is just a gimmick and you can always cancel and land where/when you want to better.
And leaving RTH to bring the drone all the way home, while it's great in an emergency situation, isn't the best in general flying.
You can fly faster than RTH will cruise so you can deal better with winds.

Precision landing RTH is a very useful last resort. If the RC dies or is somehow unable to talk to the drone it provides a very good chance the drone will come back AND land somewhere safe not in a tree,wire,lake,water or anything else.

Thanks for your reply, I'll see if I had precision landing switched off.

Its not something you turn on. Its something that works IF you take off using the correct procedure i listed above.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
I know this thread is old and even some of the latest comments are a couple months old, but wanted to lend my $.02 on my experience as well.

I, too, was wondering a couple things as I was a previous Mavic Pro owner before getting my Mavic 2 Pro, specifically I was wondering:
a) Where was the precision landing feature to turn on and off?
b) Why is my Mavic 2 Pro consistently being inconsistent on the landing?....easily 5-10' away from my high contrast landing pad, when using RTH?

For those of you reading this thread, there is LOTS of good information in this thread....especially post #59 that explains the steps you need to follow to 'enable' precision landing in the latest and greatest firmware updates.

Let me try to summarize what I have done to consistent get precision landing to now work on my Mavic 2 Pro and summarize some of the important points in this thread:
1) There is no ON/OFF selection button like there was in the Mavic Pro. It is an automatic feature now

2) I DID re-calibrate my IMU to make absolutely sure there wasn't anything hokey with that calibration. There is debate whether or not this will affect the precision landing, but I do know it affects drift, so just wanted to make sure it was calibrated

3) THE #1 MOST IMPORTANT ITEM from #59 thread is to make sure, during takeoff, you are going up at least 7m (21ft or so) before moving the Mavic 2 Pro forward/backward/sideways. This is something I almost NEVER did in my flight habits. I would use the launch slider to elevate to 4ft and hover, but I typically went horizontal from there or up at an angle...I almost never went straight up. I'm sure this was my biggest issue.

4) Also important is having a high contrast landing point that will allow the vision sensors (during precision landing) to make precise adjustments to get you as close to your takeoff spot as possible.

5) You do NOT, I repeat, do NOT need to have APAS enabled. I did experiments both with it on and off and precision landing enabled no matter if APAS was on or off

6) When landing, DO NOT hit any of the control sticks...especially forward/backward/sideways. This may disable the precision landing

7) How do I know that precision landing was on (besides the obvious great landing it did)? When you are returning to home and your Mavic 2 Pro gets directly overhead of the takeoff point, you always hear the controller state 'LANDING'....However, in addition to the voice prompt, once your Mavic 2 Pro starts to land, a few seconds into the descent you will see GREEN text appear on the screen during the landing stating Precision Landing enabled.

I was very thankful for this thread and want to state my appreciation for the Mavic community as this was one item that had me stumped...until now.

BTW, if someone still has issues after following all of the above, 1 more item you may want to do is connect your Mavic 2 Pro to your PC/Mac and run the visual calibration using the DJI Assistant 2 app to ensure all the vision sensors are calibrated.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas