DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom dual battery

I'm also wondering about if anyone has tried this battery for the M2.

I have the Sky Hook brand improved search light and dual drop sky hook in addition to the IRepairMD landing skids that came with the flotation attachments.

Obviously, everything, including extra batteries, no matter how light, will reduce the flight time, so finding a solution to add more flight time would be a real advantage.

Any updates from anyone that has be successful with this yet?

Attachments

• 20210401_190124_HDR.jpg
    20210401_190124_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
But if you want to take the risks, let us know how it goes! ?
Why did you put, or just forgot to delete, that isolated question mark in this one of yours, which is an affirmation?
No matter...

I bought 2 of these batteries few weeks ago.
One naked, the other with its lightweight plastic cover.
So far about ten flights done around the mountains at high altitude, climbing a lot, I stress, a lot, but I don't tell you the number.
Arriving at the same time even more than 6 km away from the Home. In a couple of flights there was also strong wind at high altitude, repeated warnings appeared, very precautionary as usual for these DJI settings.
Having reached the desired point, my Mavic 2 zoom remained 10-15 m in hovering to be able to take the hundreds of AEB photographic shots (at the longest focal lengths) with various camera inclinations on the X axis (above-below) necessary to produce my usual wide Gigapixel panoramas.
At today I didn't have any problem and had the important advantage of being able to count on 12-15m more flight time.
The fact that the battery protrudes so much from the aircraft's profile for a drone that it's not meant to do big runs at high speeds, is pretty irrelevant.
Can only annoy the eye, it disturbs the design, but the functionality is implemented and is there, without any detected issues.
It's only necessary not to climb too fast when the horizontal speed is also high, so as to avoid running the motors at maximum speed and to reduce too much the advantage of the larger battery with too large current draw, outside the optimal curve in the graph x/y drawn by motor-propeller rotation speed and absorbed W.

I have added a Velcro strap, weighing few grams, for greater retention security and body-battery unit stability.

Why did you put, or just forgot to delete, that isolated question mark in this one of yours, which is an affirmation?
No matter...

I bought 2 of these batteries few weeks ago.
One naked, the other with its lightweight plastic cover.
So far about ten flights done around the mountains at high altitude, climbing a lot, I stress, a lot, but I don't tell you the number.
Arriving at the same time even more than 6 km away from the Home. In a couple of flights there was also strong wind at high altitude, repeated warnings appeared, very precautionary as usual for these DJI settings.
Having reached the desired point, my Mavic 2 zoom remained 10-15 m in hovering to be able to take the hundreds of AEB photographic shots (at the longest focal lengths) with various camera inclinations on the X axis (above-below) necessary to produce my usual wide Gigapixel panoramas.
At today I didn't have any problem and had the important advantage of being able to count on 12-15m more flight time.
The fact that the battery protrudes so much from the aircraft's profile for a drone that it's not meant to do big runs at high speeds, is pretty irrelevant.
Can only annoy the eye, it disturbs the design, but the functionality is implemented and is there, without any detected issues.
It's only necessary not to climb too fast when the horizontal speed is also high, so as to avoid running the motors at maximum speed and to reduce too much the advantage of the larger battery with too large current draw, outside the optimal curve in the graph x/y drawn by motor-propeller rotation speed and absorbed W.

I have added a Velcro strap, weighing few grams, for greater retention security and body-battery unit stability.
Awesome! Please share where you just bought the two battery types from, and the cost. I'm also very eager to hear your algorithm/methodology for your Gigapixel 360° panoramas at the 48mm focal length using AEB photos on the M2Z. How many distinct images in the 360° rotation, how many rows, and how long is it taking for each complete Gigapixel? I always thought that would be a great idea to use the optical zoom on the M2Z for 360° panos, and I would also like to adapt your methodology for the Mavic 3 on the 7x telephoto, since no 360° panos are yet available in the FW/Fly app.

Awesome! Please share where you just bought the two battery types from, and the cost. I'm also very eager to hear your algorithm/methodology for your Gigapixel 360° panoramas at the 48mm focal length using AEB photos on the M2Z. How many distinct images in the 360° rotation, how many rows, and how long is it taking for each complete Gigapixel? I always thought that would be a great idea to use the optical zoom on the M2Z for 360° panos, and I would also like to adapt your methodology for the Mavic 3 on the 7x telephoto, since no 360° panos are yet available in the FW/Fly app.
I had accidentally found the batteries for sale on Ebay and bought them on the fly, one together with a Mavic 2, the other unit alone, both with very few recharges, therefore almost new.
Search for the producer Recce28Battery.
The new batteries are necessarily expensive, he takes apart three original DJI batteries to produce a large one, ask him for the price.
I have been making high resolution panoramics with the stitching technique for 25 years, and since 2016 using also flying cameras and use PTGui exclusively, after trying many other stitchers.
As for shooting in flight, no other automatism besides AEB.
3 or 5 shots, or varying each group of exposures 5+5 and even 5+5+5, when necessary, when the sun is in the frame, or near, and with snow, very bright sky and bright white clouds.
I fly the drone and start shooting, judging each time where to begin, based on the ambiente variable light, the movement of the clouds and other factors of prevailing at that particular moment.
I can't give you a precise detailed recipe.
Development and optimization under MacOS with Lightroom, Photoshop, some digital filters and a lot of manual local enhancements and often manual work to erase stitching errors due to the hovering instability of the drone.
Particularly difficult this task when there are nearby objects because the drone unfortunately is not a real tripod stationary in the sky and does not have a good panoramic head.
Having a close-up of nearby objects is useful for producing a good image that displays three-dimensionality and depth, but shooting with a non-RTK drone hovering free in the air is often unnerving if you already know you need to stitch those shots afterwards.
I am not easily satisfied, if it's not perfect I do not use it, put it aside to continue the work later on, or if it exceeds the limit of feasibility I delete all and eventually try the adventure again, going back to the location with subsequent flights.
Not always, but often I cover the 360° and, staying in the same point in the sky, usually re-shoot the same portion or some subjects several times, if I can and if useful, but not to produce those long 360° swipes , they are out of my use and interest.
I proceed cutting out parts of potential 360° panoramas using the puzzle elements needed to get the desired panoramic view.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I had accidentally found the batteries for sale on Ebay and bought them on the fly, one together with a Mavic 2, the other unit alone, both with very few recharges, therefore almost new.
Search for the producer Recce28Battery.
The new batteries are necessarily expensive, he takes apart three original DJI batteries to produce a large one, ask him for the price.
I have been making high resolution panoramics with the stitching technique for 25 years, and since 2016 using also flying cameras and use PTGui exclusively, after trying many other stitchers.
As for shooting in flight, no other automatism besides AEB.
3 or 5 shots, or varying each group of exposures 5+5 and even 5+5+5, when necessary, when the sun is in the frame, or near, and with snow, very bright sky and bright white clouds.
I fly the drone and start shooting, judging each time where to begin, based on the ambiente variable light, the movement of the clouds and other factors of prevailing at that particular moment.
I can't give you a precise detailed recipe.
Development and optimization under MacOS with Lightroom, Photoshop, some digital filters and a lot of manual local enhancements and often manual work to erase stitching errors due to the hovering instability of the drone.
Particularly difficult this task when there are nearby objects because the drone unfortunately is not a real tripod stationary in the sky and does not have a good panoramic head.
Having a close-up of nearby objects is useful for producing a good image that displays three-dimensionality and depth, but shooting with a non-RTK drone hovering free in the air is often unnerving if you already know you need to stitch those shots afterwards.
I am not easily satisfied, if it's not perfect I do not use it, put it aside to continue the work later on, or if it exceeds the limit of feasibility I delete all and eventually try the adventure again, going back to the location with subsequent flights.
Not always, but often I cover the 360° and, staying in the same point in the sky, usually re-shoot the same portion or some subjects several times, if I can and if useful, but not to produce those long 360° swipes , they are out of my use and interest.
I proceed cutting out parts of potential 360° panoramas using the puzzle elements needed to get the desired panoramic view.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll follow up with the eBay vendor on the batteries, but isn't he only on Facebook? I've been trying to order through him on FB for months and haven't been able to get an invoice from him yet. Takes weeks to months to get any reply, and each of his responses just seem to further delay the purchase.

Couple of follow up questions on the panos. The automated M2Z pano uses 3 rows (with the top row at 112° above straight down), of 8 shots at 45° angles, plus one straight down shot, for 25 images. As to the giga panos, how many rows do you need to shoot for the 2x FOV on the M2Z, and how many different shots per row to make up the 360° coverage with sufficient overlap? Have you found a good way to make equal degree changes as you yaw, since the more obvious 45° angle changes on a clock face of the drone arrow used for the 25 image stock 360° are no longer enough? Must be close to 100 different shots necessary for full coverage at 2x! The 7x one from the Mavic 3 will likely be close to 1225 different images!

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll follow up with the eBay vendor on the batteries, but isn't he only on Facebook? I've been trying to order through him on FB for months and haven't been able to get an invoice from him yet. Takes weeks to months to get any reply, and each of his responses just seem to further delay the purchase.

Couple of follow up questions on the panos. The automated M2Z pano uses 3 rows (with the top row at 112° above straight down), of 8 shots at 45° angles, plus one straight down shot, for 25 images. As to the giga panos, how many rows do you need to shoot for the 2x FOV on the M2Z, and how many different shots per row to make up the 360° coverage with sufficient overlap? Have you found a good way to make equal degree changes as you yaw, since the more obvious 45° angle changes on a clock face of the drone arrow used for the 25 image stock 360° are no longer enough? Must be close to 100 different shots necessary for full coverage at 2x! The 7x one from the Mavic 3 will likely be close to 1225 different images!
I bought those batteries in Ebay, yes, but they weren't put up for sale by the manufacturer, they were sold by other common users, like you and me.
I confirm, Recce28Battery, as far as I know, sells only in Facebook, if you are lucky to get an answer from him.
I already realized to obtain even one answer from him is a little challenge, I do not know why and if has been always so.

For the rest, relative to the number of shots to take those panoramas, I can't say, repeat, I do everything manually, always, judging live, every time, on sight how much to tilt, how much overlap, when and where redo the shots, etc.
I have only recently started using the Mavic 2 Zoom with this intent, along with the Inspire 2 that I have been using for years.
Consider that I don't create 360°×360° spherical images to navigate and explore the landscape on a computer monitor or a smart device.
I need very high resolution images just for printing and they are not necessarily all Gigapixels, indeed in practice the ones I use or sell, almost always have only few hundred MB, rescaled by larger ones so as to obtain greater sharpness, crisp details and avoid the ugly artefacts and unnatural look of sharpening filters.

I bought those batteries in Ebay, yes, but they weren't put up for sale by the manufacturer, they were sold by other common users, like you and me.
I confirm, Recce28Battery, as far as I know, sells only in Facebook, if you are lucky to get an answer from him.
I already realized to obtain even one answer from him is a little challenge, I do not know why and if has been always so.

For the rest, relative to the number of shots to take those panoramas, I can't say, repeat, I do everything manually, always, judging live, every time, on sight how much to tilt, how much overlap, when and where redo the shots, etc.
I have only recently started using the Mavic 2 Zoom with this intent, along with the Inspire 2 that I have been using for years.
Consider that I don't create 360°×360° spherical images to navigate and explore the landscape on a computer monitor or a smart device.
I need very high resolution images just for printing and they are not necessarily all Gigapixels, indeed in practice the ones I use or sell, almost always have only few hundred MB, rescaled by larger ones so as to obtain greater sharpness, crisp details and avoid the ugly artefacts and unnatural look of sharpening filters.
Glad it isn't only me he ignores! I suppose if you are persistent enough to get through, he finally deems you worthy of selling to! HAH! He's like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld! One of his Air 2 batteries just resold on FB for $195 and I got outbid. I'll keep trying.

I now better understand your workflow and end goal. I want the high resolution images for Gigapanos, for detailed zooming into the image in every direction on the web. They are actually only 360° x 180°, with a cloned in sky ceiling, since the gimbal can't elevate more than 30° up. I'll keep working up my algorithm, starting with the 2x on the Mavic 3 main camera, and eventually work my way up to the 7x telephoto. Should be easier once the SDK is available, as Litchi and others can then automate the the fine yaw movements. I'll start with a 180° pano for practice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair