DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 propeller guards

PureBlue

Reactions
Just curious, is there a downside to using propeller guards for drones? I have the MZ and don't have the guards but i'm wondering why doesn't everyone have/use them aside from the slight extra weight.

In the process of my work, I use my M2Z to identify and document labels on rooftop equipment. Needing to get "up close and personal" with the equipment, I thought it would be a good idea to get propeller guards. On my first flight, the drone noted "additional weight on the aircraft". I thought, OK lets see if there are any other affects. I was flying in relatively calm conditions, but noted very quickly, even in the Tripod mode (which I use to move in close), the drone was noticeably not as stable and very noted movement showed up on the video.

I have not used them again....

Reactions: PureBlue
Just curious, is there a downside to using propeller guards for drones? I have the MZ and don't have the guards but i'm wondering why doesn't everyone have/use them aside from the slight extra weight.
The additional wind resistance is significant.
They catch the wind like sails and reduce the drones speed and ability to deal with wind.
Except for special circumstances like flying indoors, if prop guards seem like a good idea, flying somewhere else is probably a better idea.

Thank you for your answers. I didn't realize that the guards made that much of a difference with wind resistance/weight.

Reactions: Bobvt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11