DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 range was horrendous and fan noise from controller

Freedom Justice

Reactions
I have had horrible horrible range for the DJI mavic 2 pro. I had good LOS, parallel antennas, wifi off on the Samsung Galaxy s8, calibrated the compass and the IMU, swapped between 2.4 and 5ghz band and auto, and changed where I flew by locations tens of miles apart. Nothing worked I got a range of about 2000-3000 feet before intermittent cutoff and then 4,000 feet before complete cutoff. All the while having this horrendous noise from my radio controller that I thought was normal since it came out of the box like that.

I searched several forums and found multiple Mavic 2 pro owners reporting the same problem but have not found much follow up.

I contacted DJI and they decided without my input to replace the main board $136 on my mavic and replace a $12 fan on the controller all through warrenty. I have had 0 follow up from all the other users that experienced this problem so I decided to post what happened to me to be of service to others that may be experiencing the same problems as me.

Please do not do extreme range tests. I saw sooo many YouTubers lose their drones from going to the half way mark at 45mph then try and come back even 1-2 mins before the half way point and fight winds that limited their top speed to 20mph and lose their drones. I saw another guy with a spark launch it into the air straight up above low clouds or fog 100 meters into the air reach the half way point and tried to desend but once it hit the top layer of the fog or cloud it thought it had reached the ground. So it started to descend at crawl like pace thinking the ground was always right there lol.

I will be range testing the newly repaired drone up to 4 miles on non windy day.

Cheers and happy flying

I have a Mavic Pro and have noticed the fan noise from the RC and when I record the audio during the flight, the fan noise gets very loud! I just started looking into it to see what I can do.

I have a Mavic Pro and have noticed the fan noise from the RC and when I record the audio during the flight, the fan noise gets very loud! I just started looking into it to see what I can do.

Take a video of it and post it here. Has it been making noise a long time? How old is your drone?

Take a video of it and post it here. Has it been making noise a long time? How old is your drone?
I will take a short video with it tomorrow and post it. I bought it on 20 Dec 2018 from New Egg as a DJI refurb'ed unit. (I have DJI Care Refresh too).
Not sure if it is normal or not. Thanks for offering to take a look (listen) to it.

Reactions: Former Member
I will take a short video with it tomorrow and post it. I bought it on 20 Dec 2018 from New Egg as a DJI refurb'ed unit. (I have DJI Care Refresh too).
Not sure if it is normal or not. Thanks for offering to take a look (listen) to it.

I have to listen to those fans whir every day during repairs, so I can tell if one is a little too loud. Happy to do it for you.

Mine sounded very obvious like the fan was rubbing the enclosure.

Ok, so you had what you thought was a loud fan noise from the controller, and the range wasnt what you thought it should be, so you sent it back to DJI. What was the result?

Can I ask what other DJI products you have owned??

I have to listen to those fans whir every day during repairs, so I can tell if one is a little too loud. Happy to do it for you.

While getting ready to do the video, I noticed that the loud fan was really coming from the CrystalSky 5.5 display. By comparison, the fan in the RC doesn't seem very loud. Do you know about the CS display?

I asked a question in the Crystalsky section about where the microphone is and if the headphone jack could take a remote mic input. The manual just said that there was a mic, NO other info about it. No help so far.....

I like to record my narrative of the flight for later review and/or including in the high resolution video from the MP capture but that fan noise at time overpowers the narrative and I haven't been able to edit it out very well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman